“Nothing but excellent”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing but excellent”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed for one night in September. From start to finish our experience was great. The hotel is, as other reviews state, not the most up-to-date and modern, but that isn't the point. It is a hotel full of character and was utterly charming. Our room was spacious and clean and had a balcony overlooking the pretty rear patio. The bathroom had a claw-foot bath and was, again, clean and spacious. Overall our experience was fantastic and I could not have been more pleased with our stay. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the President's room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sam C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here twice now and love the old century look. A little pricey. Great bar. Would recommend to friends and family. Would stay here again. Haven't tried the restaurant so can't say.has rooms named after famous people we stayed in the general grant room as my husbands is a civil war buff.

Room Tip: If you like old decor this is the place for you. Right in town so can walk everywhere.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat T
CT
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We loved our stay here, and would happily stay again next time.

If your first priority is that everything should be new and bland, then sure -- you are better off staying at the chain hotel by the highway. There were a couple of minor inconveniences in our room.

But in our experience, the historic atmosphere more than made up for this. Everything was sparkling clean. Furniture is unique and beautiful. Our room had a balcony away from the street, great for morning coffee. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, even going above-and-beyond to help us print out a long document.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nell3CT
Alaska
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotel is not a classic old historical hotel. It is a rundown dump with creaky floors outdated furniture the beds are even standard beds! Anyone or 5 foot nine could not actually sit on but that we had in our room. You can hear people going to the bathroom next door and of course the dog barking, That was an alleged service dog! Seriously I do not know what hotel do not separate dogs into a certain period of their hotels. Nevertheless, I do not recommend this hotel it is a dump run down and overpriced!

Room Tip: I just wouldn't recommend staying here at all
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Legally_blonde75

Travellers are raving about these Grass Valley hotels

Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Place is old and unkempt. Breakfast was a few cold muffins that even a grocery store would not sell. When I asked for a map and directions to Lake Tahoe (an hour away) they were stumped. It was 100 degrees outside and we had to ask them to turn the air on.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank JANET B
sonoma
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I loved the Holbrooke. It was rustic and very charming. I loved the clawfoot bathtub, the antique furnishings, and the super soft and comfy bed! The staff was helpful, the breakfast was decent, and I wish I could have been there longer. Since I was only in town for a late afternoon wedding and left the next morning, I didn't get a chance to have lunch or dinner there. I felt very comfortable, much more so than the "modern" hotels. It was a bit warm, and if you can't live without air conditioning, this isn't the place for you. If I am ever in the area, I would love to go back to the Holbrooke. . The hotel was in a great location, with ample parking.I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 11.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank gingerbeeSonoma
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The staff was really helpful, great food, music in the bar was excellent and no cove charge. Hotel room was like going back in time yet we sill had wi-fi. free breakfast very good. neat old elevator works great. I will be coming back for sure.

Room Tip: Room in annex building are quieter!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
#3 of 5 in Nevada City
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!