“Simply awful service in the restaurant”
Review of Holbrooke Hotel

Holbrooke Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I brought a group of out-of-town, out-of-state friends to the Holbrooke for dinner. My wife and I had dinner several months ago the very same day the new owners took over and the food was good but the service was marginal. We thought by now the service would be on par and the food even better. Unfortunately it's now the worse service we have ever experienced anywhere - in the world.

After being seated within the sparsely populated restaurant we had a 15 minute wait until I summoned our waitress to place our order and she suggested that we order everything at once. They delivered our bottles of wine but short two glasses which we had to wait another then minutes until I got up and requested glasses. A few minutes later they arrived and were told that there weren't any clean glasses thus the wait! They delivered our first course WITHOUT bread. Again I had to walk back to the kitchen for bread. After another 20 minute wait for the main courses to arrive, one order lagged 10 minutes behind the others, two were in incorrect and three of the same order were non-identical.

I approached the waitress and she summoned the owner. He said with attitude that they were NOT understaffed but training the cook staff. I refused to subject my friends as beta testers so after comping our meal (we paid for the wine) it's unfortunate that a major historical landmark in the area will not receive our business again. It was an extremely embarrassing experience. Cirino's or Tofanelli's which are a few yards away offer far, far better service and food.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1globetrekker2

Reviewed 20 July 2009

The restaurant was not open so we ate in the Saloon. The bartender was bussing tables, taking orders and probably cooking the food as it took so long to get served. I ordered kids spaghetti for my son and it came as a heaping bowl of noodles with the spiciest sauce I've ever tasted. He could not eat it, I could not have eaten it. I would expect that the kids menu be revised. I did not ask for any reprieve, however I will not patron them again, nor suggest it to friends or family. A shame considering it's a historical momument.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank westslopemom
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Note, the hotel does not show you pictures of their rooms, wounder why? because they are rundown, and outdated. I had a resvervation in their annex building, which is an old delapidated victorian sitting in the parking lot. The front porch is dryrotted (I am suprised no one has fallen through) and all the paint is peeling. There is what appears to be 30 year old blue indoor/outdoor carpet throughout. The bathroom in our room was sinking due to dry rot. There were cobb webs, and the extra blanet was sitting on the closet floor. Mis matched old furniture, worn, torn window coverings. All this for $129.00 per night. We demanded our money back, and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaTasteful
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We only had one night here but were very impressed and pleased with our choice. We had the Presidential Suite which comfortably accommodated our family of four. The service was charming if a little hit and miss, which only seemed to add to the charm. The food in the restaurant was OK but a little uninspiring. The bar was fun and we really enjoyed the blues evening. Overal a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2008

This is a really nice hotel, with genuine history and a great bar, in a lovely town. We stayed in the Mark Twain room which had its own large balcony. The food in the restaurant was good but the real gem is the bar with it's eccentric locals and lively atmosphere. We were lucky enough to see Kelly Fleming playing some live music which was well worth it.

If you have kids or are mostly dead (i.e. if no noise is more important than letting other people have some fun) then you'd be better in a chain hotel. However, if you like good food and drinks, lively company and a historic and well kept hotel then book at the Holbrooke. (I already did for next year)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BenSweden
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Stayed for 2 nights & glad we did. We had the Lola Montez and the Lotta Crabtree rooms. Both were spacious and nicely furnished. The rooms were spotlessly clean. Its a beautiful building and is well cared for. The location is great - right in the centre of Grass Valley and a good base for the Gold Country.
The cold buffet breakfast was lovely - a good variety of food in a lovely room. Good coffee.
Ate in the saloon one evening - great food. (Would also recommend Tofanelli's just up the street).
Free WiFi.
Great atmospheric hotel, friendly staff.
Would love to return some day & would definitely recommend. This hotel made our stay in Gold Country.
Really enjoyed Nevada City & especially Downieville.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank pgb2
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Wife and I stayed (one night) at the Holbrooke in June 2008. Very nice property in very unique old town. To walk the town required some up and downhill treking. Street (auto) traffic was very heavy while we were there. Parking was generally difficult around town although the Holbrooke has a convenient parking lot around back. Our room was small but comfortable. Nicely appointed. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Onsite restaurant and bar. We ate in the bar and food was good and reasonably priced. Good visit & nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Nevada City
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!