“Disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
San Bernardino, California
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

I booked this hotel in a hurry, because I needed to get to Grass Valley for my first granddaughter's birth. The website looked ok but there were no pics of the rooms. I checked Tripadvisor.com and the ratings were pretty good. So I booked for 2 nights in one of the larger rooms with a veranda. My sister and I usually book BB's when we travel, or unique historical type places. I understand that older historic places have their own issues and am not usually really picky. Our particular room #10 was a larger room, and probably a "family room" so it seemed a little more "worn" than I would like. To be fair, we did check out some of the other smaller rooms and they did look to be in a little better shape than ours was. It does not have individual cooling controls in each room, and although the main part of the hotel was cool, our room was pretty hot, and did not have a ceiling fan as some of the other rooms did. If not for the veranda and being able to keep the door open at night, it probably would have been too hot and uncomfortable for me to sleep. The continental breakfast in the morning was good, large selection of items and hot waffles. Nice outdoor patio to eat breakfast on. The hotel is right in the middle of the town and accessible to the historical district on Man St.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank DDBoardman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We had a delightful 2-night stay at this hotel over the July 4th weekend. We experienced two rooms, first the Lotta Crabtree room, although fairly spartan, had a comfortable bed. There was an occasional plumbing noise behind the wall, no doubt a symptom of aging pipes. Since the following day was July 4th, we asked to be changed to a room that had access to the veranda in hopes that we might get glimpse local fireworks from there. The only room that was available was the bridal suite -- I believe the largest room in the hotel...and we took it, and enjoyed it immensely...the canopy bed, the fireplace, the expansive veranda...it made my wife and I feel like we were on our second honeymoon. We understand this very historic hotel is up for sale and hope that it finds owners who will not only preserve the best of the historical artifacts and structure but carefully expand upon it so as to stay true to its colorful history.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trigoli
Rough and Ready
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

On May 3rd me and my girlfriends rented nearly every room in the hotel for a "Girls Night Out STAYcation" and had an amazing time. The rooms are charming, spacious and perfectly kept, the food and beverages were great, and the staff; par excellence. Yep, we're going to do this again soon!

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

I had dinner with my family last evening. Food was delicious and well presented.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

I actually have stayed in the Holbrooke twice in recent months- two nights in late November and two nights in mid-January, 2010 and had a great stay both times. The first time we stayed in the annex building. Our room was clean and charming, but the walls were a bit thin and we could hear the neighbors. During our most recent stay, we were in the main hotel building, in a cozy room with a comfortable king size bed, feather comforter, and claw foot tub in the bathroom- and our room was very quiet. If you are used to chain hotels, this place may not be for you, but if you like history and appreciate unique buildings that have been lovingly and comfortably restored, do stay at the Holbrooke. We did not try the restaurant since there are literally about six good restaurants within a block or two of the hotel, but the bar is lovely.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Pebble Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

I brought a group of out-of-town, out-of-state friends to the Holbrooke for dinner. My wife and I had dinner several months ago the very same day the new owners took over and the food was good but the service was marginal. We thought by now the service would be on par and the food even better. Unfortunately it's now the worse service we have ever experienced anywhere - in the world.

After being seated within the sparsely populated restaurant we had a 15 minute wait until I summoned our waitress to place our order and she suggested that we order everything at once. They delivered our bottles of wine but short two glasses which we had to wait another then minutes until I got up and requested glasses. A few minutes later they arrived and were told that there weren't any clean glasses thus the wait! They delivered our first course WITHOUT bread. Again I had to walk back to the kitchen for bread. After another 20 minute wait for the main courses to arrive, one order lagged 10 minutes behind the others, two were in incorrect and three of the same order were non-identical.

I approached the waitress and she summoned the owner. He said with attitude that they were NOT understaffed but training the cook staff. I refused to subject my friends as beta testers so after comping our meal (we paid for the wine) it's unfortunate that a major historical landmark in the area will not receive our business again. It was an extremely embarrassing experience. Cirino's or Tofanelli's which are a few yards away offer far, far better service and food.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1globetrekker2

Travellers are raving about these Grass Valley hotels

Nevada City, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

The restaurant was not open so we ate in the Saloon. The bartender was bussing tables, taking orders and probably cooking the food as it took so long to get served. I ordered kids spaghetti for my son and it came as a heaping bowl of noodles with the spiciest sauce I've ever tasted. He could not eat it, I could not have eaten it. I would expect that the kids menu be revised. I did not ask for any reprieve, however I will not patron them again, nor suggest it to friends or family. A shame considering it's a historical momument.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Nevada City
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!