“Inconsistent” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 105 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nevada City, California
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

We want to love this place... but ... we've had about an equal number of good and bad meals. The patio and dining room are nice, we especially like the fireplace. But the food ranges from very good to very bumpy. Had one excellent dinner salad, but the next time we got a very boring one. The chicken piccata was great, but the vegetables that came with it looked like frozen vegetables poured from a bag and then cooked really badly. (This is California - the land of "California Cuisine" so decent vegetables should not be a challenge to a chef). The "authentic" pizza margarita came with a load of dried oregano on it, and when I sent it back the waitress told me "that's the way the chef likes it." Well I got news for the chef -- you won't find a pizza margarita in all of Italy without fresh mozzarella and basil and NO dried oregano! (Maybe it was the mexican version of italian pizza). We did have a delicious Ahi Tuna appetizer, and friends have told us they have good burgers and grilled meats. We've also always had excellent service here.

1 Thank sundari108

Grass Valley, CA
“Unbelieveable staff attitude...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

There were 4 people in our party and we stopped in for the first time after the July 4th parade. We ordered a variety of lunch dishes. The service started out fairly good but soon went downhill. As for the food I would classify it as being slightly better than the hot-dog I bought earlier from a street vendor. The real problem came when I lit a cigar. Although we were sitting in the outside patio area away from the only other patron there and next to the street a waitress (not ours) promptly demanded that I put out the cigar. She was extremely rude about it. I put the cigar down but when it didn't go out after a few seconds our waiter stormed over and stated loudly that he was going to call the police. Our waiter made quite a scene out of the situation and quite a fool out of himself. The funny part was I was only 3 or 4 feet from the street side entrance where I was told it was ok to smoke. This waiter created such a scene that the only other patron, who was sitting all the way on the other side of the patio area, got up and felt compelled to tell me that he did not complain and thought it was fine for me to smoke a cigar right next to the smoking area.

Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled at being threatened with police action after having just spent $100+ on lunch. There was an upside though, the large tip I had left on the table went right back into my pocket saving me enough to buy more fine cigars!

One thing is for sure, I will never, ever go anywhere near that place again. Hopefully the owner of Kane's will read this and attempt to do something about the customer skills of the staff. He should also know that I am also a local business owner. One who frequently dines out in town with friends, family and clients.

1 Thank FireTshirts
Sacramento, California
“An expensive risky place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2009

We have dined at Kane's three times, once good, once poor, and most recently terrible. On Easter Sunday we went to their much advertised brunch. ALL the hot dishes in the chafing dishes were cold! The smoked salmon was all gone and not replenished. The desserts were fine, but the $28.50 per person tab did not include coffee or juice (three glasses of OJ for and extra $8.50!). The total tab for three was $103.00, a real rip off in my view for at best a bearly edible meal. I really don't like cold eggs benedict.
You can get a good meal at Kane's, but you can also get a bad one. At these prices you shouldn't have to gamble.

3 Thank PatrickPennValleyCA
Nevada City, California, USA
“Going downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

I've been tho this restaurant a number of times over the last year or 2 mainly for lunch. We usually get the soup and salad for lunch. Great deal for about $10. We took a colleague out to lunch there recently and were quite disappointed. The food was watery. They offered us a sirloin ceasar salad as their special and when they brought it out, it was chicken. When we asked what happened to the sirloin, they said they just ran out. Well, then why did they even offer it to us as a special? The salad we finally got was chciken and it was floating in a ton of water and had no taste. Our colleague didn't even eat it. We weren't too impressed and haven't been back since. Kane's was great last year, and I hope that things have improved from our disappointing recent visit.

2 Thank tomsab
“Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Done to Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

We eat here every chance we get. We live in the area part-time and we enjoy many of the nice restaurants in the area like Cirino's, Villa Venetia, and The Stonehouse(before it closed), but Kane's tops our list. Inside it's modern and elegant, but it has booths so it's not as noisy as so many restaurants are today. Outside there's a lovely patio where you can watch the world go by on Main Street. It doesn't seem like a place that would serve breakfast, but they do and they do a fabulous job. They have all the typical breakfast foods, but my favorite item is a panini that you can "build" to your liking. Sitting out on the patio on a sunny Sunday morning with a mimosa is a delight. The menu for all meals is varied and we've never been disappointed in what we ordered. Steaks, fish, sandwiches, pasta, it's all there. Whatever the selection, it's prepared with attention to detail and quality ingredients. For instance, the sausage pizza is made with a spicy sausage that the chef selected as his favorite. When I ordered a side of fruit it was a generous dish with very fresh melons, strawberries, grapes, and a fanned banana on the top. I often hesitate to order fruit many places since it's sometimes watery, tasteless, and looks like it's been sitting around a while. The bread on the sandwiches and served along with meals is chewy and delicious, not that airy, dry stuff. It must sound like I'm an investor in the place or something, but I've never even met the owners. I just happened to be looking at Tripadvisor for information gathering purposes and couldn't believe that Kane's wasn't listed at all, let alone as one of the top restaurants. It just a great place and we're lucky to have them.

1 Thank shelbymom