“A Wonderful Hotel!!!!!”

Best Western Gold Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I had a death in the family, and I had to fly out to California to take care of the arrangements to bring my cousin back to TN. I was referred to stay at the Best Western Gold Inn. It was in a good location, the staff was "Great!!!" They were very hospitable, and helpful with all my needs. The rooms were like double cottages, very clean and smelled so fresh. The king size bed and pillows and soft and I slept so good. The free breakfast was wonderful, and they constantly kept bringing out fresh, hot food. Check and checking out was very thorough, they even gave me directions to Lake Tahoe. If you like the mountains, this is a beautiful place to visit. I am planning on taking my wife there for a few days, and we will stay there.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 August 2009

Just as I read here on tripadvisor, this is a nice, comfortable hotel, and a very good value for the money. Although the hotel is at a confluence of a highway and a major road, it was set back just enough not to be noisy.
Our room was very comfortable and clean, the staff members were polite, and the continental+ breakfast was better than expected.
The bad news was the pool. I couldn't believe the sorry condition of the chairs - ripped and dirty - and the dirt that had accumulated on the bottom of the pool was quite visible. Also, for some reason the spa was closed and covered - odd for August.

I never intended to go swimming, but I did want to sit out there with a book. Not on your life. The entire pool area was dirty and in disrepair. I strongly suggest the owners bring the pool area up to the same standard as the rest of the property.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Best Western is was it is and was pretty much what we were expecting, a no frill, economical place to stay for a night. Although check-in was advertised at 3:00 like most hotels, when we arrived at 12:00 we were told we would not be able to check in until 3 but could "check back" at 1 to see if a room was ready. Considering that it was a Wednesday and there were a total of maybe 3 cars in the parking lot, we found it hard to believe that there was not a single room available for check-in. What was even more surprising was the phone call we received at 10:57 a.m. wanting to know when we would be checking out. I asked if check-out was at 11:00 and when told it was, at which point I told the girl at the front desk that it was 10:57 and we would be leaving in 3 minutes at which point she replied, "well my watch says different". I don't believed I've ever been kicked out of a hotel.
Other than that, the hotel was as was expected, clean, conveniently located, economical. the soaps/shampoos were Bath and Bodyworks-nice choice, and the continental breakfast was more than expected.
Ease up on your check-in/out, or at least have employees who can more tactfully enforce them and then we'll be back if up in that area again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Was surprised how nice the motel was for the price. Very clean rooms, with all the ammenities plus extras like sewing kits and upscale shampoos. Breakfast was included as well as cookies at check in. The spa and pool were closed for renovation, but in the pouring rain in Feb. it didn't really matter. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2009

My son and I stayed for 3 nights, which qualified us for a mid-week discounted rate...sweet! Rooms were clean and comfortable. There's a nice breakfast every morning and from 5 - 7pm, a reception with food and beer, wine and soft drinks. Complimentary cookies at all times in the lobby and we found the staff to be so friendly and helpful. The hotel is nestled amongst tall trees and we got so much more than we bargained for. Yes, we would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank haddieshane
Reviewed 10 September 2008

The hotel itself is a nice place, a bit over priced but nice. The problem was the manager. VERY rude and arqumentive. We requested a down stairs room when we booked the room in Febuary of 2008 because my husband can not climb stairs. At the time I made the rservation I asked to speak with the manager so we would not have a problem when we checked in. The manager came on the phone and she said no problem that we would have a down stairs room. When we went to check in the manager gave us an upstairs room. I told her what we did when we booked the room and she said they don't do it that way. I told her we would have to find another hotel and she said we would still have to pay for the 1 night because we didn't cancel 24 hours before. I then told her I was going to call the 800 number and stop payment on my card. She then gave us a down stairs room. Later in the day when we came back to our room there wasn't any place to park. There was a car show in town and they parked the trailers in the hotel parking lot. 1 Trailer took up 3 spaces (parked sideways) and the tow truck took up 1 then the car took up 1. 5 parking places per 1 room. We had to park in the street and walk in. There was a plenty of street parking but a long walk. In the morning we went up to the office for coffee and she had a 1 cup at a time coffee maker out there. 5 people waiting for coffee. We just left. This could be a nicer place without that woman manager working there. There are better places to stay in Grass Valley.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Bettyboop32
Reviewed 9 April 2008

A very nice little Motel, if you have no expectations.
We were visiting friends in the area and we just needed someplace close to stay for one night.
The rooms were very clean and quiet, there's plenty of parking space and the location is very accessible.

Very good value for the price.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
2 mi away
Broad Street Inn
Broad Street Inn
#2 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to Best Western Gold Country Inn? Share your experiences!