“Hidden GEM!”

Grass Valley Courtyard Suites
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I usually stay for the sake of pleasure in Grass Valley...this night we were turned back in a snow storm...scary..ALL the Inn's and Hotels were booked! We found this one by mistake. We will now always choose to stay here in the future. We stay 2 times per month because we love Grass Valley...this Inn was divine...comfy beds, great pillows,amazing staff! Nice bathtub,linens and robes. We were beat tired...the Innkeeper provided us with tid bits and wine and she has a wonderful sense of humor. We were so grateful. The food is great! The rooms quiet and warm and I slept like a baby...we wanted to stay on a couple of nights but we feared leaving our pipes to freeze in our Tahoe home......we are returning to stay next weekend....really fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 December 2010

I have stayed at the Courtyard Suites many times, and the Temperpedic beds are so comfortable! From the very comfy beds to the clean rooms, and the local coffee grinds - this place is the best. Grass Valley does have some other hotels, but this place will always be my preferred place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Hotel was nice and was clean but my room certainly wasn't a suite, so I wouldn't call it a Suites hotel. It's located close to the main drag of Grass Valley. The breakfast and happy hour are nice but nothing hot except for the waffles. Would have been nice to have fresh OJ, but it wasn't. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room had a fridge and microwave.

For the downsides, my room was very cold the first night (64 F), fine the second night (after I complained at the front desk), but cold again the third night. When I called the front desk, I was told someone would be coming up, but no one did, so I went to sleep. About an 1.5 hours after I made the call, someone called me back asking if now was a good time to come up (this is around 11:30pm). I would have expected them to make sure the problem was fixed properly instead of just hoping it was better for one night.
The bathroom was very cold (and my colleagues staying at the same hotel mentioned this was the case in their rooms too).
The TV was an old CRT standard definition, but having a real cable box was a plus.
They need blackout curtains. Shutters aren't nearly good enough for a hotel.

Lastly, this can be good or bad depending on your tastes. The mattress is a Tempurpedic mattress. Kind of like foam, but more comfortable. I still found the bed hard, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first sat on the bed. I'd rather have a good spring mattress though, but BE AWARE before you book, if you don't like hard beds, then this might not be the place for you!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank tomcat335
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We don't know what we can add to what has already been posted, but we'll try. We originally booked for just one night, but stayed for four. Kathy and her staff make you so comfortable, you just don't want to leave. Our room was very clean, beautifully decorated, and even had terry cloth robes hanging in the closet. And it's not often you sleep better on a hotel bed than you do at home, but we did here. The girls at the desk provided us with maps, tips, and great advice on what to see while we were in the area. A waffle breakfast to start the day, and you could almost make a meal out of what was served in the lobby at the afternoon wine tasting. It was a great snack before a short walk downtown to have dinner, or catch a movie. Away from the traffic, the grounds were very quiet. We found a lot to see and do in the area, and appreciated being able to come back to such nice accommodations at the end of the day.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2010

You can't beat this place, rooms are comfy and clean, staff are friendly, good breakfast. Always enjoy staying here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I have stayed at this property once before and had a very good experience. My recent stay was even better. This inn has a "boutique hotel feel" for very reasonable rates. Our room was very nice, clean, up to date and comfortable. Like any property, some room locations are better than others. If this is important to you, book earlier and request a room or suite that looks into a courtyard. The bedding was as nice as anywhere. They are very pet friendly and go out of their way to accommodate pets. The staff takes pride in their property and service. I don't think this can be faked. They want you to feel at home and enjoy what they offer. The location is perfect, an easy walk to downtown, only a block or two. Don't waste your time at a national discount chain mini suite hotel. There are plenty of funky older cottages, inns and motels around the area, but if you want a really lovely property with services to match, give The Grass Valley Courtyard Suites a chance. My family are area locals and the Courtyard Suites are respected in the community as a top notch inn. You will be spoiled.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zelig2000
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Courtyard Suites is a beautiful hotel with great rooms on beautiful grounds. It is located one block from historic downtown. All the rooms are in various courtyards. I loved the shutters on the triple windows and the long sink area for people to share. Breakfast was provided with great service. (Waffles, cereal, toast, bagels, pastry, juice, fruit, coffee) There was wine and appetizers in the evening. Very friendly staff. One downside was an honor bar in the room with drinks, candy, nuts, popcorn, etc. I have no will power!

• Stayed: May 2010
Best Western Golden Key
Holbrooke Hotel
Holbrooke Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Grass Valley Courtyard Suites? Share your experiences!