“Horrible Managers” 1 of 5 bubbles

Golden Chain Resort Motel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
“Horrible Managers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2006

I am a consultant who travels frequently, here and abroad. One must take into consideration that some places are remote, choices of where to stay limited, and amenities not always what one is accustomed to.

I must say the Golden Chain was worse than many motels in developing countries. Other reviews have attested to the condition of the place. I will add that the television channel choices are limited and the quality of the picture is poor on most of the channels. The complimentary breakfast is just coffee, poor quality juice and pastry. Most days it was served too late (past the posted time) to accomodate the individual who needs to get underway.

What really got my dander up is that the day I planned to check out, my client had additional needs and I did not get back to the motel until 10 pm. At that time I found my room key no longer opened the door. I had to go down the hill to the office and get the manager from his onsite residence. He was gruff and treated me like some kind of criminal. Thay had my credit card information and all my luggage was still in the room. I wonder what they thought I was trying to get away with. I have never encountered an establishment that did not want me to extend my stay (unless they really had no more rooms). I continue to have clients in Grass Valley but I will never stay at the Golden Chain again. The Best Western further up the road towards Tahoe is much better. A Holiday Inn Express is under construction near old town Grass Vally and I can't wait!

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2006

My girlfreind and i were looking for a quiet little place to stay the night. We ended up with a terrable stinky and dirty room. The carpet was sioled with who knows what. The tiolet had matter on the seat, cobbwebs in every corner of the room.We ended up washing everything we brought into the room encluding our pillows because of the foul ciggarett stench left it seems from months of neglect. The tv did not work. The whole place was in schambles. Do not stay here no matter how cheap it is...

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

Reserved room over Internet. Arrived and room was occupied. Waited three hours and was informed that the maid was in residence in my room and the sheriff was called to remove her. Waited another two hours and finally room was ready. Room was in terrible condition. I travel for business every week and have stayed in some older motels but nothing like this. Asked for my money back and was told they had to keep one night's fee as I had checked in. EVEN after much discussion they charged my credit card for the one night's room fee! Stay away from this place at all costs!

• Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
central valley of California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2004

We were visiting family in the area, so our main concern was just getting an inexpensive clean room to sleep in for the night...........
so we booked at the Golden chain motel south of Grass Valley on Hwy 49. ALthough the folks at the front desk were very nice, the room and the motel were in sorry shape. There hasnt been money put into this place in many years. The entry to the room had duck tape holding down a corner of the carpet. The drapes were grimy, the rest of the indoor-outdoor carpet was stained, the furniture looked second hand. No room for toiletries in the bathroom, etc, etc, etc. Old dingy pink tiled shower, It was awful. Next time, we will spend the extra $ (although the going rate was $80 !!!! for a wkend night) even if we are just "sleeping" in the room. STAY AWAY until renovated.

• Stayed November 2004
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelinmax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2004

After a long drive we just needed some rest.Driving in looks pretty and serene.They were working in the room next door and there was no heat in my room. When I called the desk about the heat I got the run around about how the wall heater worked. I ended staying only a few hours and continuing my drive. I would pay$29.95 but not a penney more.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2003

I had a terrible experience dealing with the owner and manager of this so called resort. I had made a reservation over the internet. They did not have the room I had booked for ( even though the net said was it available-they -"the manager of The Golden Chain" called to tell me they overbooked rooms and did not have the room I had reserved). So when I called back to cancel the room (which I did 4 days prior) they still charged my credit card. After receiving my bill and trying to resolve the problem-the very rude "manager" said there was no record of such transaction. Funny it was on my credit card statement and they made no effort to help remove it. They claimed to have no reservation under my name, I never stayed there-but, they had my credit card number and they kept my money. I hope they enjoyed it. Just becareful-because at this establishment customer service is NOT their top priority. -a very unhappy "customer" that did not exist according to The Golden Chain Resort Motel

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Holbrooke Hotel
Holbrooke Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
BEST WESTERN Golden Key

Been to Golden Chain Resort Motel? Share your experiences!