“Really terrible place :-(”
Review of Holiday Lodge

Holiday Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Santa Rosa, California, United States
“Really terrible place :-(”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This place was horribly overpriced. Had to stay locally for a memorial service and didn't want to spend the money on a B&B. This was about my only option close to the event and it was over $100 a night (ouch!)

Listed as a non-smoking room but definitely had had smokers in it--my clothing smelled even when I got home. Facility old, several things broken or not working properly (including front door which you had to jam to close, phone, which I couldn't even use to call front desk--had to use my cell phone, and light on landing at top of stairs was broken so we couldn't see to get into the room.) All bedding was old and the whole room smelled musty and smoky.

Breakfast consisted of some cereals and fruit that looked like they had picked it off local trees. Lady at front desk was not very friendly and we got to listen to her religious program through the window while we had our breakfast.

I would have felt I spent too much paying $60 a night in this place, but $100 was highway robbery! Do yourself a favor and choose someplace--anyplace--else.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Caren P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Spring Creek, Nevada
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Holiday Lodge in May. They were most accomodating and Dawn Olson was a wonderful hostess. Though it is an older property, I thought for the price of the room, we could not have found better accomodations in Grass Valley. Value for the price was outstanding. Enjoyed our stay immensely and will stay there everytime I go to my hometown. Thanks to all the wonderful staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I called to say it would be a late check-in and was told that late check-in meant by 7:00 pm. They finally agreed to leave a key for me. Walked into our room and it was like an ash tray. Smelled awful, inspite of the No Smoking sign on the door. Gave us another room. After removing the pubic hair from one of the pillows, and the oatmeal from the sink, we adjusted. Room definitely needed updating. One of the worst "low price" places I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Pat F

Travellers are raving about these Grass Valley hotels

Reviewed 4 March 2013

In need of some major remodeling. The receptionist was nice, room was old. I took a glass out of the sanitized bag & it had cigarette ashes in it. The bathroom was gross. It seemed clean but was so old. & stained. Blankets were worn & torn. Big plastic sheets on the roof with sand bags holding it down. I couldn't wait to check out. Price was high for such a run down place

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Latina53
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I couldn't agree more that this is , indeed, an excellent accomodation. It is not stylishly new, but neither were the manners, courtesy, and caring attitude evidenced by all members of the staff. In the last several years I have found it difficult to get extra towels after 8 P.M. in most of our "4 and 5" star hotel chains. "Housekeeping is no longer on duty." A call to Dawn, the manager, at 10:30 P.M. regarding a non-functioning TV remote was responded to immediately and ended up having the maintainence man replace the set so that I could see the news at 11! Find that elsewhere! Clean, comfortable, newly painted inside. Breakfast of coffee, cereal, cello-packed Danish, and juice in the "garden room" was just enought to start the day and better than the $23.00 continental breakfast at Chicago's "Grand Old Hotel Known to All" (you know the name! I'll return to Holiday Lodge with pleasurable anticipation.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The Holiday Lodge is an excellent accomodation for the price. Although it is older, the rooms and grounds were clean and functional. Location is convenient to both all of Grass Valley and Nevada City. The night manager, Dawn, gives everyone her card with her cell number and encourages calls for any reason, any time. She couldn't have been friendlier or more accomodating. She's the reason I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask Dawn. She'll show rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 16 September 2012

After reading some of the reviews I was very nervous about staying here. However, everything else was booked so I didn't have much choice. I was very pleasantly surprised. Although it is obviously old, the room was clean, the bed comfortable and and the amenities satisfactory. It's not the Ritz but, for $90, what do you expect. The continental breakfast is very basic - just danish and coffee. It's very convenient to Highway 49 and not far from the main part of town. The only negative - I had my dog with me and there was really no good place to walk her.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Northern Queen Inn
Northern Queen Inn
#4 of 5 in Nevada City
Best Western Golden Key

Been to Holiday Lodge? Share your experiences!