“A nice property!”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Klamath Falls, Oregon
“A nice property!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have stayed in Grass Valley previously and been underwhelmed by the properties and prices. After doing some tripadvisor research, I called the Coach N Four. I am glad I did.

First impression pulling in was "thank you for doing landscaping rather than hardscaping." Lots of inviting flowers, bushes and tall trees. This is a small property, but we love the old motor lodges and classics, so this was fine with us.

The neighborhood is mixed use, so there are some small businesses nearby. A neat convenience store is within walking distance. It is a bit of a hike to downtown Grass Valley, probably not a walk most would want to undertake.

The man at the front desk was friendly and helpful. All the staff we encountered were very nice, greeted us, waved, asked how we were doing, etc.. Dog friendly!!! Lots of places around to walk your pet.

The room was super clean, decent quality linens and towels. The room had some maintenance issues, the faucet knob needed replaced as it flopped around on the shaft and the plumbing hot to cold was reversed. There is nowhere in the tile shower to put your necessities, you have to place them on the floor. Not much counter space for a toiletry bag.

The tiny window AC unit was mocked into a holel, and this thing was trying its best, noisily. The control is on the top of the unit that is mounted 6 feet off the ground, so you have to work at it a bit to adjust.

The place for your suitcase is under this AC unit and a closet shelf, and there is no lighting over there, so accessing your bag at night is a challenge.

Our room had a small table in front, so we spent some time lounging outside of the room, watching the world go by and doing some reading.

We felt safe and secure here, we left our keys sitting on the bumper for hours and it was fine.

On future visits to the area, we would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Darlene H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Grass Valley, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I are staying here for the week. We have already stayed 3 nights and are so very impressed with the positive changes occurring. The owners are intelligent, friendly and hardworking people that know this area well. They are transforming this motel into something very positive and special. Also, the housekeeper is very respectful and polite every time we see him! Bravo for your great efforts in making Coach N Four Motel a place of beauty.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia L
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean - that's the only good thing I can say about this run down, strange motel. The shower and the toilet were in the same room - one room with no separation between them! No amenities, not even kleenex, oh yes, there were soap chips for your shower, and TWO shower caps. Even the lamp shade was torn.The neighborhood was OK, but the guests at the motel were a little scary. Run, don't walk!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kanda
Palmdale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Had to book a room on short notice and this place was one of the few with space available. Had I read the reviews beforehand I wouldn't have stayed there. We found the room to be adequate, clean and quiet. The whole facility appeared to have been recently painted and the carpets were visually clean. As per my habit I stripped the bed and found the mattress to be free of occupants and the lines were clean and intact. Amenities are very sparse with only bar soap and shower caps provided, no shampoo or conditioner. We did however get 2 shower caps. The furniture was miss matched and very worn. The room was not serviced between the two nights of our stay. They were very accommodating however in supplying the extra pillows I requested. The whole facility was obviously built sometime in the 40's or 50's. while we would not have picked such a place for a vacation stay it met our needs for short notice family necessitated stay.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Mendocino, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

It was clean, there were 2 shower caps, soap and shampoos provided.
My only complaint was the carpets had been recently cleaned and the smell was overwhelming. There was continental breakfast advertised but never available. when asked about it on Saturday response was : order wasn't delivered. There is new management working on cleaning up place.
No holes in bed. No blood on walls. 1/2 the price of the holiday inn express.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Look, not everything was perfect. Made a reservation through a travel site-- the motel lost track of it. Motel made its best effort to accomodate us-- one queen bed for four guests. How was the cleanliness? Questionable. Did it have a bedside alarm clock? Heck no! But forget all that. I've got three words for you...

Free shower cap. The Coach N' Four offers, free of charge, one shower cap for each room. This is not a ploy on my part. I swear on my life that this is true. Free. Shower. Cap. It does not have shampoo or conditioner, but it does provide ONE SHOWER CAP.

In all seriousness, anyone who would give this place a bad review is an idiot. It's the cheapest motel in the area, so what you get is the cheapest motel in the area. All the amenities are dated and mismatched, but you get what you pay for. Want to stay in a cheap motel in Grass Valley? The Coach N' Four is a cheap motel in Grass Valley.

Also, the owners are legit. They really did mess up the reservation, but they pulled cash out of the register to make it worth our while and still got us a room (even though it only had one bed).

In conclusion, the Coach N' Four provides a free shower cap per room.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MasterPeters
Long Beach, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

This place deserves ZERO stars.
THERE IS BLOOD ON THE WALLS INSIDE THE ROOMS (please see attached photographs)
I would not recommend that ANYONE stay at this motel. It is a wretched, pathetic excuse for a business, and the owners should be ASHAMED of keeping this place open. I seriously cannot even put into words how amazingly DISGUSTING it is.

- We found SEVERAL blood stains on the walls inside our motel room (some of which were next to the headboard of the bed).
- Also found an 8-inch serrated knife underneath the bench outside our room.
- And the door to the room next to us also showed signs of a serious break-in. The lock and surrounding wood had been entirely kicked-in at one point, and simply glued back into place.

The staff was entirely unhelpful and CHARGED ME FOR THREE NIGHTS even though I only stayed there for ONE NIGHT (out of the three that I had reserved). I explained the reasons why I felt unsafe in their room and wanted to cancel my remaining two nights of reservation, but they attempted to blame the situation on me????? Not only is having blood inside the rooms a health violation (and frankly this establishment should be under investigation), they charged my card for those two extra nights without my consent.

This place should be shut down. It is an absolute disgrace that this place is even in business - it is disgusting, revolting, DISHONEST and just overall TRASH.

Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else. Honestly. No matter how cheap it is, your safety should always come first.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Holbrooke Hotel
Holbrooke Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grass Valley
BEST WESTERN Golden Key

Been to Coach N Four Motel? Share your experiences!