“Quiet, Relaxed, Quaint...but Costly”

Sierra Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Rochester, Minnesota
“Quiet, Relaxed, Quaint...but Costly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We enjoyed our holiday with family in Grass Valley, CA and one of the few locations in town was the SMI. It is in a very quiet part of town, about 5 blocks to the quaint old town section and the Cornish Street Fair was there for the holidays. All very fun. However, the room was overtly small (albeit nicely refurbished recently). No place to put your suitcase and no dresser to put your clothes so you are always stepping on things. The colder weather was arriving and the bathroom is not heated, but it got warm quickly since the whole bedroom is only about 14 X14. No complaints on the stay, but for what we got (and no maid service on a holiday) it was very over-priced. No amenities such as breakfast, ironing board, no porch, no real place to relax except inside the rooms and they were small. It would have been a much better experience if they did not require a 4 night minimum (I think that is only because of the holiday) and it should have been about $30/night cheaper. There are better deals in town with better prices and more amenities, but I admire the quaint setting.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank DrMarkES

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Isola di Salina, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

This establishment charged my account $250.00 after the stay for allegedly smoking in the room. Derek stated he had pictures and when sent to me for review, I saw food debris, not cigarette ash. I smoked outside the room only. Derek indicated a heavy smoke smell in the room, but apparently it did not trip any alarm. The pix sent showed a white formed crumb on the carpet. I have never seen a ash that formed a crumb. We did have dinner in the room and the pix were consistent with spaghetti and grated Parmesan and bread. I Did tell him I smoked, but would only smoke outside. He saw this as an opportunity to grab the extra $250.00. He did not check with me first, as I would have told him if I smoked in the room. I am involved with the legal profession and not accustomed to lying about matters.

He saw me smoking outside, as I saw him smoking outside. I am outraged at this.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
sierramountaininn, Owner at Sierra Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
We pride ourselves in being the cleanest, nicest and most comfortable place to stay in the Grass Valley area. That is why we have a strict no smoking policy in all of our rooms.
We only use the more expensive non toxic, earth friendly cleaners in our rooms to accommodate people with sensitive skin and allergies.
When someone smokes in our room or "just out side the door" it is a major expense for us to clean and get rid of the smell . We have to scrub all the walls ,ceiling, and cabinets. steam clean the carpet and send out all the linen including the curtains to be professionally cleaned. The cost to us is well over the $250 that we charge and is what we had to do after this party stayed with us and that is why they were charged. All we ask is that when people stay with us they respect our rooms , the other guests and smoke in the smoking area on the front lawn. Because of the products we use in our rooms and the care we take with them, Our rooms are spotless clean, do not smell of smoke, chlorine or chemicals. they don't smell of anything and we intend to keep it that way. (even this guest gave us 5 stars for cleanliness)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding celebration nearby. The room was spotless and pleasant, with a very comfortable bed and nice linens. I booked last minute and was given a great rate of $99 per night. The room included a nice TV, coffee maker and closet area. The bathroom was clean and roomy. The inn was full while I was there, and not noisy at all. There was a little street traffic, but not bad at all. I liked the walk into town- very pleasant...good exercise. I also walked around the surrounding neighborhood and really enjoyed it. The parking lot can be tight, but there is plenty of street parking. This inn is a great value.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Anabanana
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed here for one night while we visited friends and were impressed. Our room was spotless and a great value at $99. Plus, they didn't require a two night minumum on a weekend. I am not in to impersonnal Holiday Inns and such. I was impressed how comfortable this place was. So I was willing to overlook the traffic noise and somewhat "thin walls". Fortunately our neighbors were not noisey. Also, they seem to accept well behaved dogs.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Central Valley, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed here one night in August after a full day of visiting the Nevada County Fair. ( Annual county fair highly recommended for a real Americana Experience. Very well kept Fairgrounds among tall Pines with a variety of exhibits and attractions.)
I booked the Sierra Mountain Inn directly with Phil in advance of our arrival date based on reviews on TA. The rate was $89. The room toward the back of the property was very small with a comfortable Qn. bed with the TV high atop the corner free standing closet. In comparison, the bathroom was quite large with a tub/shower combo. We made coffee in the morning with the in-room coffee maker. The room was very clean, but it's size would not be comfortable for an extended stay. While parking is right outside the front door, the space is extremely tight and took some serious maneuvering to get out the next morning. Our check in/out was very pleasant with the female innkeeper. My hope for this property is that they add a complimentary continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Request room in back because inn is right next to busy street.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
sierramountaininn, Owner at Sierra Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thank you for your review., we also have large 2 bedroom units with 1 or 2 bathrooms, King bedrooms, some with kitchenettes, also a large cottage with full kitchen and living room so you can spread out in luxury, we only have two of the small rooms you stayed in. we are only 3 blocks from town with several great breakfast places to eat and with our low room rates you can easily afford to patronize the locals.
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Recently, I found myself needing a hotel room for one night in my own hometown of Grass Valley. I chose the Sierra Mountain Inn, and was extremely pleased and impressed during my short visit! The room was immaculate and well decorated, the kitchenette was very well stocked, and the new General Managers, Trish and Joe, were extraordinarily accommodating and kind, and honestly just great people! They truly bring a small town family feeling to this hotel - they treated us like family, even though we were just there for one night. And with the location being just a short walking distance from downtown shopping and dining, I would not hesitate to suggest this hotel to any friends or family visiting the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kris P
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed at the Inn for a Saturday night. We were greated with a friendly hostess who was able to upgrade our room. The rooms are clean and very attractive. It was nice to have the coffee in the morning and while we did not eat the granola bars, it was a nice touch. It is located in a nice neighborhood near downtown. When I requested ice at 9pm, she gladly handed me a bucket full at the office! The rooms are are large as was the bathroom. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
Broad Street Inn
Broad Street Inn
#2 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to Sierra Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!