“Clean and quiet, but it's just a renovated motel.”

Sierra Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Arrived a little early but my room was ready, which was nice. I walked around the property and checked out the room. The place is basically two strips of connected rooms running perpendicular to the street, a few blocks out of the downtown area. Nice and quiet, partly because I was almost the only one staying there. The room was super clean, nice new tile bathroom, huge comfy bed. A couple of caveats: there's no dresser or clothes hangers for the armoire they do provide, so if you like to unpack (which I do) you have to just pile your stuff at the bottom of the armoire. Also the towels are your basic Motel 6 type, small and scratchy. And the bathroom window has a couple of bullet holes in it.. not entirely reassuring. But there's a sweet little table with a wine opener and glasses on it, and a fridge and microwave and TV. When I asked about breakfast the guy at the desk said they didn't provide one. I asked him to recommend a place and he suggested an Italian place down the street, which is where I had breakfast the next day. When I went to check out in the morning there was no one at the desk, so I just left my key. I think for the price it could be a little more upscale: better lighting in the room, newer towels, better quality air conditioner (this was the clanky old under-the-window type) and maybe a little more attention to detail. Comfortable chairs to sit in outside the rooms would be nice, and fresh flowers in the rooms for arriving guests. The Holiday Inn Express has better pricing and more amenities. Just saying.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the road, which is fairly busy, are 1,2, and 7,8. Room 12 is by itself and at the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Praxitiles
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Bullet holes!? not quite The tiny little hole, in only the outside part of the duel glass pane was a mistake caused by the grandson of the grandma that lives next door. (A bullet hole would be much larger and would go through both panes of glass), Sierra Mountain Inn is located away from the freeway in one of the most prestigious areas of Grass Valley and the safest.
We do appreciate the critique regarding the towels so we are up grading them to fluffy soft ones in order to match the high standards we keep at the Inn.
The heaters / air conditioners we have are the standard for the industry and quietest ones we could get. It is required that they be energy efficient and individually controlled in each room.
There were only 5 hangers in the armoire in that room so we added more for your next stay and if you still need more all you need to do is ask.
The Holiday Inn Express does not have better pricing ($152.00 Holiday inn verses $99.00 at Sierra Mountain Inn)

Thank you for your comments and we hope you'll come back again soon

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were fortunate enough to stay in this charming Inn last weekend. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay for one night, but we do hope to return soon. The staff was super helpful & so nice! We felt very well taken care of. Our room had a little kitchen inside, which was a wonderful surprise & definitely came in handy. The Inn is on a somewhat busy street, but I didn't notice any street noise at all. The location is great, I was able to go for a run in a really great neighborhood adjacent to the Inn & it's down the street from a wonderful downtown area with an awesome coffee shop (Caroline's) & wonderful shopping & dining. Honestly, we loved the short time we spent at Sierra Mountain Inn & we are hoping to return soon.

Room Tip: If you don't need the kitchen, I'd request room #5, our friends stayed in that room & it...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank katie n
sierramountaininn, General Manager at Sierra Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Hi Katie I am so happy you and The Beach Boy group enjoyed your stay with us; we enjoyed having you and look forward to having you visit for more than one day I know it was a rush to get the concert done and be on your way home early the next day. You all were so very kind and alot of fun. I am happy we at least had your rooms ready for a 1030 a.m. check-in so you could get a little settled before giving Grass valley a wonderful musical experience. I really enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you for a longer stay. Trish and Joe General Managers

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have stayed at this Inn numerous times. I have always had excellent customer service. The management has always exceeded expectations. There has never been a problem with cleanliness or lack of toliet paper. :) The new management is overly helpful and always attentive to my needs. I am comfortable and at ease when I stay at the Inn. The Inn's grounds are also very well maintained and safe. I have reccomend the Sierra Mountian Inn to friends and colleagues. Many have stayed there and enjoyed their time thoroughly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Dear Michele,
Thank You for your response,We always look forward to seeing you and your family. I am overjoyed knowing we are keeping a smile on your faces and in your hearts while you are here. As always we look forward to the next visit. Trish and Joe General Managers

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I felt I needed to review this time (my third stay here since last August). Each time the service has lessened. The first time was very nice, relaxed, attentive care. Now, with new management, seems you have to ask for everything. I was there last week and was barely spoken to at check in; no welcoming attitude, no smiles; very few words. Started to charge the weekend rate even tho was a weekday; I had to correct. When I got to my room I realized the check in was not just grim, but rude, especially for an innkeeper. Also last year, granola bars were left for breakfast; no sign of that the last two times. I just didn't want to have to ask for everything, and if anything was needed this time, I did without rather than deal with the gentleman running the office. Sorry to have to state this, but it is a very promising inn but, like I said has gone down in just these few months. Comforter corner was apparently not the cleanest but I think the stain might have been hard for housekeeping to see.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank mouliin
sierramountaininn, General Manager at Sierra Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

Dear Guest, Although we greatly apologize you did not feel the welcome you should have received, upon your arrival i did recognize you as a return guest by saying welcome back. We even had a discussion about how this would be your last visit with us this year because your grand child's sporting season was coming to and end. We value and look forward to each guest check-in and arrival. We actually love for you to ask us for anything you feel is missing in order to make your stay more comfortable. Unfortunately due to economic reasons we have temporarily discontinued the granola bars, this was not an intentional display of ignoring your needs or wants. During the slow season we take the opportunity to catch up on maintenance as well as room detailing which prevents us from being at the front desk constantly from open to close; however we do carry a sensor alert that allows us to attend to our guest arriving in the office while we are occupied with such duties as we were during your stay. This is by no means an excuse but merely information to let you know we are always available to you and your needs. We have enjoyed all of our guest since taking over here and have had great responses as well as making a few new friends and regular guest. We look forward to seeing you on your future visits.
Joe and Trish Walsh
General Managers.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband and I wanted a room with a bathtub for a couple of days while scouting properties in the area. Since we live on our boat having a tub is a luxury. The room was small but perfect for our needs and the price was right. Large bathroom and great enamel tub. Clean, clean, clean and the bedding was nice. Yes, as everyone has stated the parking lot is small too, but we managed because it wasn't full. Our only problem was with the heating system. It would blow cold cold air and then switch to heat. Since the room is so small it blows straight out onto the bed. Mind you it is mid-February and it gets chilly at night so we needed that heat. Asked the first morning if we had not used it correctly and the manager said to keep the fan on auto. Well, that didn't do it. The next night I suffered so I took a hot bath in the middle of the night and turned off the heater totally. I then slept like a baby. The only other problem with the heater is that it is below the only window that is draped and so when the air blows, it is caught by the drape and it balloons out. Perhaps an energy efficient blind would be more practical if they could get the heater to work properly. I did inform management of my problem when we left. He apologized profusely. I just hope they get the heater fixed so the next traveler will have a more pleasant experience.

Room Tip: If you need heat, please check with management to make sure the unit is working properly. We probab...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
We completely empathize with your response regarding the heating unit in your room. Although these units are top of the line they Unfortunately do not equal the ease and comfort of central heating. We have addressed the issue you had with the heater and it is now resolved. We greatly appreciate your feedback on your stay and look forward to having you visit us perhaps in the spring and try one of our other rooms. We really enjoyed your company and would have preferred for you to come to us regarding any problem with your room day or night. Moving you to another room at any hour is worth knowing that you are comfortable and your stay is as delightful as possible. We do have portable radiators upon request. Thank you again for your input as it makes us better at what we do.

Joe and Trish Walsh
General Managers

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed one night and had a wonderful experience. Friendly staff, Very clean and stylish rooms. Lovely surroundings. Try them, you won't be disappointed. Very close to town, waking trails all around for you and your dog!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The inn has a very nice quaint look about it from the outside and there are NUMEROUS good things about it but there are some very dissapointing aspects as well.

It is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN ! The bed is room #5 was comfortable, the bedding soft and warm, amble towels and it did have a microwave and small refrig. The price (including taxes) was $98.40 for a weekend night stay.

The down side is that if you have any vehicle larger than a compact, parking is going to be real chore, the heater kept us up all night due to being sooooo loud, the floors were miserably cold (no rug in bathroom) and it was not cozy, it was very small. It was approx. 12X12 and was furnished with a queen bed, two chairs, two end tables, the frig and an armoir so there was barely any room to move about.

It is walking distance from Historical Downtown which is a big plus.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay during winter, bring your own small heater if you want to get any sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peg P
sierramountaininn, Manager at Sierra Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it is valuable information that keeps us striving to do our very best to accommodate our guests and ensure they have a wonderful experience at our Inn. We offer a standard queen room for those on the go or do not require a large space or kitchenette. We are quick to resolve and accommodate our guest who indeed want a more spacious room; as in the same we have also done the opposite for guests who booked a large but did not require the extra space and asked for a smaller room such as room 5. There are guests who request our standard rooms on a regular basis as their favorite rooms. As stated before we do thank you for your feedback and hope you are able to come visit and enjoy one of our more spacious rooms. There are always some wonderful events at The center for the Arts, perhaps a show and nice dinner downtown (all within walking distant) and maybe with all the different sizes and styles of rooms we have you will have found a room here to call "your" favorite,
Sincerely Trish and Joe Walsh General Managers @ Sierra Mountain Inn

#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
Northern Queen Inn
Northern Queen Inn
#5 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to Sierra Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!