“Clean, nice hotel in great location, but a little pricey”
Review of Gold Miners Inn

Gold Miners Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I stayed here for one night while in town to attend a show at the Center for the Arts. It's an attractive hotel and the staff was friendly and helpful. I asked for a quiet room, so the friendly desk clerk gave me a corner room all the way at the end of the hall. I was grateful for this, because I noticed the floors seemed to creak and thump as you walked down the hall, no matter how light-footed you tried to be. Sounded like there were a lot of loose boards or something under the carpet. In my room, though, it was very quiet ... a bit of street noise because the hotel is right on the road, but fortunately it's not too busy a street, and you could set the fan on the HVAC to run constantly which made a great white noise to block out all the outside sound.

The room was very, very clean, and the bed was comfortable. I loved having a mini-fridge in the room, and a couple of chairs to sit in. The furniture all seemed pretty new and everything was fresh and not at all worn or beaten-up. The shower had good water pressure. Took a while to get hot water in the bathroom sink, but not a big deal.

The continental breakfast was good, pretty much on par with what you expect from this class of hotel. The breakfast area was clean and well-kept, and the lobby was attractive and comfy.

The hotel is in a great location right in downtown Grass Valley. Tons of interesting shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. GV is a pretty little mountain town and this was a great place to stay while visiting. I would certainly stay again. The rates are a little high by HIE standards, though. Still, once I arrived everything was as I hoped and I would recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 September 2010

Just a night at the Grass Valley HI for a wedding. The hotel lobby is one of the most interesting I have stayed at in a long time. They really give you a lot of historical information on Grass Valley, and have decorated this lobby with care and comfort. The room was very very nice, and quite clean. I really like this HI, and the front desk girl was entertaining, pretty, and really nice. I would say the sleep quality of the beds is good, and the bedding good as well. The morning breakfast here was fantastic, full fare offering, with a host of egg sausage, bacon, and cereal. The staff here is cool, as I sat outside really early in the morning with a housekeeping employee. She was on her break, very entertaining, and a pleasure to speak with. All around, this hotel is your best bet in Grass Valley....but...bring money...the room priced out at 135.00/nite, which is a wee pricey for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I had asked at booking for a quiet room & when I recieved my confirmation via e-mail it even stated this request on it.
I was traveling for business & my parents came along too with my 3 year old daughter.
On check-in I asked about our room - was it in a quieter location, was it on the top floor. My response was that "we are full". We proceded to our room only to find out that the room above ours obviously had several kids in it. The nosie was unbelievable! We asked the front desk about it & there was only one room avaolable on the top floor that we could move to - we decided to stay put.
The family above us ruined our visit to this hotel. They proceeded to make a noise - screaming, banging, slamming dorrs, jumping on the beds for our 2 day stay.
The evening reception was a life-saver, the town was lovely & the hotel is in a great location. Shame there is no pool!
The rooms are not sound proof at all, the doors bang very loudly, the front desk staff are bored & disinterested. The kitchen staff & the breakfast were lovely.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We had a great stay again, this time with our infant. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good, I loved the pastries and my husband was a fan of the sausage gravy. The staff was quick to replace the almost empty trays of food so we did not have to wait. This is the only hotel I will stay at in this town!

Reviewed 28 March 2010

Visited wife's relative while in Grass Valley and booked at the Grass Valley Holiday Inn. Great location - easy access, centrally located close to downtown for those who like to explore. Had our 10 year old daughter and 6 year old son along, and upgraded to a suite, which included a microwave, refrigerator and small pull out sofa. Beds were comfy. Continental breakfast - nothing too fancy - but included in price.

One minor lament was no swimming pool - nice for kids to blow off steam, but there's enough to do nearby hiking, rivers, etc., that it wasn't a problem.

One quirk: The fresh air / ventilation for the elevator shaft must have had a direct line to the outside because the elevators were about 30 degrees colder than the hallway/lobby. Felt like walking into a freezer at times. (The mornings were in the 30s/40s when we stayed. Room temps were just fine, though). Elevator temps were noteworthy, but not a problem.

Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2010

The heating system doesn't work and when we called the front desk, they acknowledged it had been a problem since the hotel was built. Told us to turn the heater up to 82, wait 10 minutes and as soon as it got warm turn it off or it would later start blasting cold air. Well, next morning turned it up to 90 and still miserable, Asked other guests and they had the same problem!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank chrystal56
PSAlan, Owner at Gold Miners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2010

We appreciate the guests perspective about our heating system. Perhaps the guest had a real problem but in checking the system we found nothing wrong.
Our Gold Miners Inn consistently ranks in the top 5% of all Holiday Inn Express' in Quality Ratings. In addition in 'Performance' comparisons by Smith Travel Ratings our hotel rangs in the top 5% compared to all similar type hotels in northern California.
We would ask the guest to contact our GM, Steve Young, and please return as our guest to get a different experience and our deepest apologies for any problems. We truly hope you will do this. We'd like you to be among our many returning satisfied guest.

Reviewed 16 December 2009

This is the second time I have stayed here. It was just as nice as the first time, over a year ago! Very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was very helpful with all my requests. I liked that the restaurants and shopping were just a short walk. The breakfast was tasty and I enjoyed the free cocktail hour in the evenings. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Grass Valley.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Nevada City
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Gold Miners Inn? Share your experiences!