“Refreshing retreat with exellent hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grass Valley
Elam Biggs Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Grass Valley B&B and Inns
Santa Clarita, California, United States
“Refreshing retreat with exellent hosts”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed at this B & B numerous times in the past and ALWAYs look forward for another visit. The rooms are very comfy with privacy. Several types of rooms to fit your taste. Peter and Barbara are fantastic and always stirive to make our stay much better than the last. The outside porch, patio and lawn make a pretty setting to sit with your love and talk or just relax. Away from buisnesses for quietness but close enough (5 min walk) to stores, theatre, restaurants, shops etc. This is where we will continue to stay for years to come. Thanks again Elam Biggs team.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Danielle Q

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I just spent 2 glorious days at this lovely inn in Grass Valley. Having spent the past two days in equally nice B and Bs in Nevada City, our expectations were rather high. Peter delivered and then some. He is a wealth of knowledge about the area, a warm and gracious person that readily welcomed us into his home - as well as rather entertaining with his magic tricks. Even with all of those skills, he also knows the way around the kitchen as both of our breakfasts were amazing. I highly recommend Elam Biggs to one and all.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, California
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Elam Biggs is such a beautiful & well maintained Victorian with lots of charm that is reasonably priced, within walking distance to the main town, off street parking & lets not forget the wonderful hosts. They had a cookie jar with yummy sugar cookies and each cookie had an Victorian stamped on it before it was baked. Everything is unique at Elam Biggs. My husband and I were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary. The first night we walked to Gold Rush Burger & BBQ, ate on the patio and listened to live music. The next day, after a delicious breakfast and magic show, we went to Empire Mine State Park. Later, we picked up a picnic lunch and continued to the Bridgeport covered bridge where the river water was bath warm and the sites were just stunning. We ended the day by kicking back on a few of the relaxing chairs in the whimsical garden at Elam Biggs. The following morning we enjoyed coffee in the garden before having yet another fabulous breakfast. It was hard to leave. Thank you so much Barbara and Peter for making our 35th so memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Brunswick room and it was really nice, with two wicker chairs and a claw foot-tub...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We enjoyed our one-night stay at the Elam Biggs Bed and Breakfast Inn for the following reasons: friendly owners, a delicious breakfast, reasonable prices, a clean and roomy bedroom and bathroom, the lavender soap, a lovely yard and front porch, its proximity to town, off-street parking, lovely decorations and antiques, access to the refrigerator and beverages, the innkeepers' unpretentiousness, and Peter's magic tricks after breakfast. This is a very comfortable inn. The only drawback was the temporary construction noise on the railroad all night long, something the owners had no control over. In retrospect a room facing the back would have been quieter. And we would have appreciated stronger coffee. But we had a very pleasant stay and hope to return -- and will also recommend it to our friends!

• Stayed August 2013
Pacific Palisades, California, United States
Reviewed 25 September 2012

First, I want to add that we had booked a room at a different B&B, which was sold 3 days before our arrival. That owner made arrangements with Elam Biggs. The place is beautiful, just what you'd expect from an old Victorian. Stuffed to the gills with antiquey things. We had the front room which had a large bed, great bay windows, a couch (not a bed for a third person unless that 3rd person is a stick figure), and lovely bathroom with a good shower. The owners were very kind and offered excellent local area advice, showed us where soft drinks, coffee and cookies were always available. The only hitch was when we were 1/2 hour late for breakfast. I'm used to being served buffet style, and having a window of opportunity to eat. Since we'd been driving for 11 hours the day before, I wanted to sleep in a bit. When I arrived down for breakfast, my host made it abundantly clear that I'd botched his breakfast offering completely. He actually made me feel bad. I know he just wanted things to be right, but if I recall, I'm the paying guest and I'm the one who paid for the breakfast. Petulance is not attractive in a host. He then toasted an English muffin for me, but I probably won't be back anytime soon. Guilt I get at home. Not on vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Judy S
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

Once again, our annual trip to Elam Biggs, (this time for our 5th Anniv) was marvelous...Peter is always the consummate host! We always feel as if we have come home! "Our" room is the large Empire room up front.Elam Biggs is very centrally located and you can easily walk everywhere.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank ahottoddie
Auburn, ca
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Elam Biggs is a wonderful, delightful, relaxing experience!

The house is beautiful, the rooms are tastefully decorated and full of interesting and fun items and pictures.

It is spotlessly clean, welcoming and comfortable.

Peter and Barbara are generous, friendly and accommodating. They make you feel like family from the moment you arrive.

We love everything everyone else has already said about the breakfasts (no need to eat for the rest of the day!) and we enjoy the fact that it is served family style - allowing our family to meet up and talk with other folks from all around the world.

We loved that there were no TVs in the rooms (there is one downstairs if you care to watch it) and that we felt, especially sitting out in the yard, as if the real world was a million miles away. Of course, if you need the real world - they also offer free wi-fi!

We stayed with our two school-aged children and they also thought it was a wonderland. Our youngest wrote in the guestbook "I wish I could stay here forever"!

This place is a gem!

#5 of 10 in Grass Valley
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Elam Biggs Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!