“Complete lack of communication - won't be staying here”

Big Creek Meadow Ranch
London
“Complete lack of communication - won't be staying here”
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Just a short review of my experience with this Ranch - I am planning a 2 night stay in Yosemite in May 2011 and after researching the internet for suitable accommodation I stumbled across Big Creek Meadow Ranch. Location-wise it was perfect and we were also sold on the idea of staying on a ranch!
It seemed the only way to check availability was via the website, and this meant putting in my credit card details (which I wasn't best pleased about). However this I did, and then waited for a response to my request. A week later I had still not heard from anyone regarding my booking, and unfortunately there was no sign of an email address on the website so it wasn't easy to get in touch. Instead I called the main telephone number and got their voicemail - I left a very clear message with my contact details and said I was unhappy that I had not received confirmation of my booking and that if I didn't hear from them within 3 days, I'd consider the booking cancelled. I also confirmed that I would be contacting my credit card company to ensure no funds were removed from my card (which I did).
So it's about 6 weeks since then and guess what - no response! I felt I should let other people know about this experience so that they can be sure to try another accommodation that actually wants your custom and bothers to get back to their prospective guests!

Stayed March 2011
3 Thank hotfuss73

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington State
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I ended up not staying here, but had to post a review since it was such a strange and disturbing experience. I hope to help others not have the same experience.

I called several times to try to book a reservation with Big Creek Meadow Ranch. No response. I tried sending an email through their website with my reservation requests and my information, no response. I explained I had to have a confirmed reservation because I don't travel unless I know I have a place to stay. Since the Yosemite area is booked so far in advance, there is no way I could chance not having a confirmed reservation and end up spending tons of time trying to find a place when I arrived.

I finally got someone to answer the phone, but this person answered "All Seasons" and I said sorry, I have the wrong number and hung up.

Turns out it is the right number (the owner manages several properties including this one and the All Seasons also in Groveland), and after several other attempts to get response, I looked up the All Seasons B&B on Trip Advisor and saw many people had the same issue with the owner/manager of this and other properties they own. They don't confirm reservations, you get to the place you think you have reserved, having given credit card and personal information only to find you don't have a room waiting, and then have to scramble or be put somewhere else, more expensive. I was even more worried now that I had sent my credit card information through their form online through a website about places to stay near Yosemite.

I kept calling and someone finally answered, again stating "All Seasons" - I explained I had been trying to book at room at the Big Creek Meadow Ranch and she said she could take that reservation. I said that was fine, but I needed confirmation as I was worried since I was getting no response - and the place she answered from wasn't the place I was going to stay. It all seemed kind of hinky to me, but she said (without identifying herself) that she would send an email confirmation right to me.

By the following morning, when I still hadn't received confirmation and now thoroughly worried, (I didn't know who this person was or if I had even gotten the right place) I emailed the contact person on the Stay Near Yosemite website (I thought was the webmaster) to explain I was having issues with this Ranch owner and lack of response or confirmation, and was now worried I would be charged, but would have no room when I got there nearly two weeks later.

I was offered a room in another lovely B&B (a review will be posted of that one as well) and I felt I had no choice but to confirm a different room since I never had confirmation or contact from the Big Creek Meadow Ranch. I then emailed the same address on the online form, stating since I never received confirmation, a return call or even the email as promised I now considered I had to stay somewhere else and would not pay for, nor allow my credit card to be charged for the requested room at the Big Creek.

It took a bit, but I did get a followup email from the owner of Big Creek / All Seasons stating they would not charge me for the room I never got confirmation for - and the owner (who I believe was the person I spoke to, but never identified herself) stated she would "followup" with the staff person who supposedly I spoke to that never confirmed with me or sent me the email. I'm pretty sure it was the owner I spoke to but she was covering herself by putting it off on another staff member.

Just a warning: Do not accept anything less than a fully confirmed reservation for this place, or the All Seasons, or.... simply stay at one of the other lovely B&Bs in the area and avoid this one. There is something really wrong about their reservation system if they can't confirm, can't use a computer system to back up their reservations, and so many before have had issues with not having a room when they arrived in Groveland. I suggested to the owner that they needed to get hooked into a professional reservation system to avoid issues for their customers. This person manages 4 properties, two of which are the All Seasons and Big Creek Meadow Ranch. I do not know which the other two are, but be very very careful or you'll end up out your money, with no room at the Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank flwrgrdn

Travellers are raving about these Groveland hotels

Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Me and my friends planned a trip to yosemite national park a little bit too late and didn't have the chance to find any lodging inside the park. It was a little difficult for us to find a place to stay eventhough it was only one night but we found this place online. We did not think twice and made a reservation. Our surprise was this place ended up fullfiling our expectations more than we thought! The owner was very friendly and respecful, seeing as we were three young ladys. When we entered the room we felt like we travelled back to our chilhood, it was very cute and we definetly felt like home. It was a little noisy in the night but hey, we were at a ranch! There are sheeps, cats, dogs, animals everywhere!
Going to Yosemite park was only about an hour drive but it didn't feel like it since the scenery paid for it. I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Hamburg
Reviewed 15 October 2009

We stopped there at the end of August after spending a day at Yosemite Ntl. Park - it was really really nice there! It was a bit noisy at night as the two dogs were chasing coyotes through the fields (or even a Mountain Lion as Carl, the owner, told us the next morning)

Make sure to grab a beer at the Groveland store and see the stars at night - if you come from a bigger city you'll NEVER see more of them again

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
santa clara
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I stayed with my family ( 3 year old) and loved the place like anything!!!!!! It was a lovely, scenic and warm place where we felt like home even in a 1 night stay. We could not get 2 day stay because of the peak season, and hence we had to spend another night in it's sister property at Groveland Inn at a little higher price. I must say that this place was much better as compared to many lodging available inside the park. It far meets the expectations for the price you have to pay. It is very clean and tidy, with great service. The location is a bit confusing and one might miss out while driving but once you reach there, it is worth spending your time. My daughter loved the place , running around the ranch and playing with pets. Their was plenty of privacy and no disturbance at all. It appeared as if I were renting or owning a cottage and a big ranch in the middle of a jungle with all amenities. It was lifetime experience for me. I'm glad that I got to stay there even for a day!! I will recommend it to family people especially if you can book both the rooms and have the whole house to yourselves.................worth every penny...please go there..and yes....how can I forget very kind and warm host Carl..............just talk to him about anything..he will listen and talk ( about his life and how he came to Groveland) and make your day :-) I loved it because I stay in a hustle bustle , rare to find such peace..

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We used our GPS but it keep pointing us in the middle of nowhere. So it's better you go to their own website and write down the driving direction. The room was clean. The owner is very friendly and he would give you some information about the close by Groveland and recommend you the restaurant. The breakfast is with english muffins, jam and fruit.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 8 May 2009

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Big Creek Meadow Ranch. Our host was very friendly and attentive, which was especially wonderful when we took a wrong turning and missed the place. Just a note of warning when looking for the place, do not go by house numbers! It is literally at the junction between Highway 120 and Smith Station Road. Do not believe google maps - it is just where the sign indicates (seems obvious in retrospect!).

They are a working ranch and we went at lambing time, so we enjoyed watching the sheep and cute lambs. For those who do not like animals, this might not be a place for you as there is a dog and several cats (though no animals are permitted inside the house).

The room was very comfortable, with a large double bed, cupboard with dressing gowns, coffee making facilities and ensuite bathroom (no bath). As a very light sleeper, noise was not an issue at all, as the place was very nice and quiet. We had access to some space in a fridge and to a microwave.

Breakfasts were hearty - filling you up for a good days walk. We were served fruit, English muffins, yogurt and granola.

The ranch is about 5 miles from Groveland, where we had dinner and 50 miles from Yosemite valley. Price-wise, it felt expensive but in comparison with other places in the area, was the cheapest we found.

What we liked best:
Friendly service and comfortable rooms.

What we liked least:
Nothing!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Rush Creek Lodge
The Groveland Hotel
The Groveland Hotel
#5 of 7 in Groveland
All Seasons Groveland Inn B&B

Been to Big Creek Meadow Ranch? Share your experiences!