“Cozy, quaint, tasty.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Groveland
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating
Description: a very friendly organic cafe serving the best espressos in California, outdoor seating in the garden amongst the nursery plants
“Cozy, quaint, tasty.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I lived in Yosemite for three months in 2011, and used to frequently visit the Mountain Sage for coffee, snacks, and wi-fi/cell signal. I loved it there. It's not the type of cafe that serves up elaborate breakfasts, no. But I used to get an iced coffee and a breakfast sandwich, or a bagel, or scone, and just relax in their sitting room to make contact with the outside world for a while. They also have a room full of local art, photography, and goods. Oh, and a collection of books for you to enjoy while you're there. That's how I learned all the ways people have died in Yosemite! Fun stuff.

Outside, there are tons of plants and a few places to sit. They'd have the farmer's market every Saturday which was really awesome, and a couple of times a summer they'd even host a big festival or concert. AND we were able to bring our compost, since they appreciated having something to offset the acidity from their coffee grounds.

I wish there were more places like this. I honestly haven't found anything that comes close since leaving California.

• Visited May 2014

Plumas Lake, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed in the food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I went to the Mountain Sage Cafe with my husband looking for a small bite to eat and Wi-Fi. We had an iced latte and an iced mocha. My husband had a blueberry scone that was very tasty. I had their quiche of the day which was made, as I was told, by the hotel in town. I LOVE quiche...this sausage quiche was not even edible it was so salty. I returned it to the young woman that waited on us. She said most people say it is not salty enough and that she guessed you can't please everyone. That was a disappointment.
The atmosphere was magical. The setting is right in the middle of a nursery. Tables dispersed throughout made for a very enjoyable, private experience.

I would return again to give it another try just for the atmosphere. I would definitely just go with a scone and beverage the next time.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Jose, California
“rest a while”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great place to relax and get a cool drink and enjoy the ambiance of the nursery and gardens. Interesting plants to wander through.

Visited September 2013
“Go there now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The highlight of our stay in Groveland was drinks n treats at mountain sage. The drinks are delicious, the service is doting, the food is fresh and flavorful, the setting is peaceful and natural. I have NO idea why dories tea house rates #1, this place is wonderful. If I could pack it up n take it home I would.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank pairandaspare
“Interesting ...!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

An eclectic mix of nursery/coffee shop/gallery with a side of Farmer's Market (starts Saturdays @8 am!) and live outdoor music! Worth popping in for a look-see and strawberry lemonade!

1 Thank Jacqueline M

Been to Mountain Sage Cafe? Share your experiences!