Summary - best food we had in California, great bar (choice & atmosphere), comfortable lodge, friendly staff, good facilities, epic day tour - we're already planning our return.
Whilst I love walking, we aren't your typical outdoor types. Mrs hanskraay and I get little time off together and tend to choose hotels and accommodation that has a bit of luxury about it. Food's important too. We booked a late break in California and the only availability was at Evergreen. We booked it with no expectations and planned to use the centre just as a base. But we couldn't have been more surprised. Nor more delighted.
When we arrived the place had the feel of a beefed up Centre Parcs - more substantial, more hand-made - but a lodge-based woodland centre. I almost expected to see Boy Scouts trooping around tying knots and singing Ging-gang-gooley.
The accommodation was better than basic, cleaner than most city hotels and was spacious. The location was beautiful. Having settled in we went to the bar for a drink and to try the food. Wow! Seriously - wow. The bar had a great atmosphere, willing bar tenders, a good mix of locals and guests and a brilliant choice of wine and beers. We settled in for the evening. Andrew suggested we should eat at the bar since we were comfy - so we did. The menu was short, seasonal, interesting and fresh. Couldn't have asked for more. This was genuinely the best food we had in California last week. The lady chef is doing great things - even if you aren't staying on site, give it a go.
We had one full day in Yosemite, so decided to take a full day guided tour. It was $115 each well spent. In the limited time we had, we'd never have seen so much or learned so much if we'd gone off by ourselves. All the comments about Bethany elsewhere on reviews are correct - the girls a star. And on top of that, we saw a Brown Bear early in the day. If you don't know Yosemite I can't recommend this tour highly enough. A bit of walking, a few secret locations and really enjoyable company from a non-too-PC guide.
Bethany recommended a drive for the following day (which was amazing) too. So we saw enough of this amazing park to totally fall in love with it.
Evergreen isn't actually in the Yosemite valley - it's about 20-30 minutes drive - but don't let that put you off. It really doesn't matter. Breakfast isn't included in the price but is of very high quality and at a reasonable price. The shop is well stocked and very useful. We had one small wrinkle with service (the room wasn't cleaned after the first night) but everyone is allowed a small wrinkle.
We'll be back - we'll stay for longer. That's the best review I can give Evergreen Lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Evergreen Lodge is a newly expanded full-service historic resort featuring 88 spacious cabins in the woods. The lodge sits on 20 acres just a mile from Yosemite National Park in California, putting top attractions - Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne Meadows and Hetch Hetchy - in easy reach. At the lodge, savor a delicious meal, kick back in the classic tavern and enjoy other amenities, including Evergreen's sun deck, game room, kids play areas, nightly activities and therapeutic massage. Ready for adventure? Evergreen's professional guide service offers a variety of sightseeing, hiking, biking, fly fishing and snowshoeing tours, as well as free planning advice for self-guided adventures. A Frommer's 'Favorite' and 'Highly Recommended' by Fodor's, the Evergreen provides the perfect mix of recreation, relaxation and indulgence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Evergreen Lodge At Yosemite Hotel Groveland
- Evergreen Hotel Groveland
- Evergreen Hotel At Yosemite
- Evergreen Lodge Yosemite