“Great find - enjoyable captive audience experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Groveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Surrey, UK
“Great find - enjoyable captive audience experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Had a short but fantastic stay at Evergreen Lodge just after the park reopened. I had booked well in advance beforehand but was told that I'd be able to cancel the reservation if the park wasn't reopened by the time of my visit - thankfully it was reopened but it was so reassuring to see Evergreen Lodge adopt this policy.

We stayed in one of the 'Muirwood' Deluxe Cabins which was very well equipped and laid out and set aside from the centre of the complex. The pool and jacuzzi were a short walk down a path and beautiful as well - we had it to ourselves when we used them one evening.

One of the best things about this place is its restaurant and bar. I was sceptical that, given that everyone is pretty much a captive audience, that they'd be able to get away with serving sub-standard food as per the Yosemite Park hotels inside the park boundary. I was so wrong. The food is excellent quality and matches that I had in some of San Francisco's most popular restaurants. I was surprised to see that the chef had cooked bull's testicles one night, which of course I tried and enjoyed - good to see that they weren't scared to try something different. The choice of wine and cocktails were great too, and the bar staff very helpful. Breakfast was excellent as well, and there was plenty of it - in some ways I preferred it to the standard hotel buffets you get elsewhere.

It is very easy to stay at Evergreen Lodge and rack up a huge bill due to the excellent food and drink available. I scoffed at the prices of their excursions into the park, but from reading the comments from other reviews I reserve judgement. Maybe I'll try one next time! I wish we had a little more time to enjoy the site, rather than rushing off to see as much as the park as possible for the short time we were there.

3 Thank Graa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Livermore, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was a little bummed because the big storm came in the day before we left. I thought for sure the high winds and rain would have knocked off all the gorgeous Fall foliage. I was as always wrong...we were blessed not only with magnificent Fall foliage colors, but gorgeous snow pictures too. I say "blessed" because I truly felt honored to experience the natural beauty of Yosemite...and it's so close to us. We should ALL visit Yosemite every season...soak up the magnificent beauty God has blessed us with !!! It just renews your soul :)
Another reason to visit Yosemite, is because they lost so much money from having to close during the big Rim Fire, and last month having to close for the government shut-down. The place where we stayed this week is about 20 minutes past Groveland, on Hwy 120 (before the Yosemite gate)...The EVERGREEN LODGE ...was really hit hard with these TWO closures...so we spent as much as we could :) and we tipped BIG, not only because their service was so great, but we knew waiters and waitresses depend on the tourists for their income and for them to miss the tourists not visiting during those shutdowns really hit them hard.
So I encourage you ALL to visit this beauty, that is practically in our backyard....renew your soul and spend some money :)
This was third time staying at the Evergreen Lodge in the past 10 years. It been amazing to see new improvements each time we visit.... additional cottages, a large outdoor pool, hot tubs, landscape touches .....
It's always a very special trip when we head to the Lodge. The scenery up Hwy120 after Groveland is SO gorgeous. We love it even more when we turn off of the highway and head 6 miles in on Evergreen Rd (it also leads to the Hetch Hetchy Dam). We first discovered this road and the lodge back in June of1995. We were in Yosemite for our honeymoon, and were soon disappointed with all the crowds. Our B&B suggested we drive down Evergreen Rd....and so started our love story with this road and the Lodge. On this trip, soon after we headed ddown Evergreen Rd. we enjoyed beautiful snowy scenes...where had so many times before taken pictures of the wildflowers in meadows, there was now beautiful blankets of snow. When we arrived at the Lodge, cold and hungry, the first thing we did was head on in to the Tavern/Restaurant. As soon as we walked in door it was glorious. There was a big roaring fire in a quiet area of the tavern with a hand full of tables surrounding it. GREAT FOOD

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grammy S
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here for a night at the beginning of our drive through Yosemite (we unfortunately,were not able to see due to the Government cuts :(). We were allocated a lovely, cosy cabin, perfect for the 2 of us. It was lovely to be away from everything, no television, no internet....a radio to keep us company :). The cabin itself was immaculate, and well designed to fit in with the surroundings. The mini-mart they have is useful to buy small items. Breakfast at the lodge was very good and plentiful. We rested well, and had a great stay. Staff also really helpful, and very willing to offer advice on other things we could do whilst we stayed in this area.
Lovely stay, highly recommended!

1 Thank nisaq
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Simply put I would go back here tomorrow if I could .... It’s difficult to compare to a different type of resort as this is not a beach resort it is not a swanky city centre hotel it is a lodge retreat set in Yosemite in the Evergreen Forest ..... Its quiet peaceful and untouched by crazy tourists ...
I loved it, the staff are fabulous ... from reception (thank you Shaun for the tips on restaurants at our next stop).... Chef's (Chris who joined us on our trip a great guy !!!), bar staff and shop assistants all friendly and helpful... and to the recreation team the highest commendation I could describe .. we had Bryant as our guide on The Wonders of Yosemite Tour - He made the trip for me and my friends .... Lots of knowledge, really understanding making the trip suit us and getting to know us so he could show us what we wanted... Friendly has an obvious passion for Yosemite (and mountaineering ... just ask about the mountain climbing beds that dangle off the edge !!!!!) a true asset of an employee Evergreen should be very proud.

I am one of those Travel Agents who travels for Business all over the globe and though I don’t review alot on this I have many to compare Evergreen against ... It’s simply the best place I have ever visited together with the wonderful Yosemite National Park itself and I’m coming back as soon as I can :)

Lodge - Perfect and comforatbel Beds
Restaurant - Amazing 5* restaurant standards
Resort - Check out their site they have many amenities to suit anyone ....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Cariad1978
Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Summary - best food we had in California, great bar (choice & atmosphere), comfortable lodge, friendly staff, good facilities, epic day tour - we're already planning our return.

Whilst I love walking, we aren't your typical outdoor types. Mrs hanskraay and I get little time off together and tend to choose hotels and accommodation that has a bit of luxury about it. Food's important too. We booked a late break in California and the only availability was at Evergreen. We booked it with no expectations and planned to use the centre just as a base. But we couldn't have been more surprised. Nor more delighted.

When we arrived the place had the feel of a beefed up Centre Parcs - more substantial, more hand-made - but a lodge-based woodland centre. I almost expected to see Boy Scouts trooping around tying knots and singing Ging-gang-gooley.

The accommodation was better than basic, cleaner than most city hotels and was spacious. The location was beautiful. Having settled in we went to the bar for a drink and to try the food. Wow! Seriously - wow. The bar had a great atmosphere, willing bar tenders, a good mix of locals and guests and a brilliant choice of wine and beers. We settled in for the evening. Andrew suggested we should eat at the bar since we were comfy - so we did. The menu was short, seasonal, interesting and fresh. Couldn't have asked for more. This was genuinely the best food we had in California last week. The lady chef is doing great things - even if you aren't staying on site, give it a go.

We had one full day in Yosemite, so decided to take a full day guided tour. It was $115 each well spent. In the limited time we had, we'd never have seen so much or learned so much if we'd gone off by ourselves. All the comments about Bethany elsewhere on reviews are correct - the girls a star. And on top of that, we saw a Brown Bear early in the day. If you don't know Yosemite I can't recommend this tour highly enough. A bit of walking, a few secret locations and really enjoyable company from a non-too-PC guide.

Bethany recommended a drive for the following day (which was amazing) too. So we saw enough of this amazing park to totally fall in love with it.

Evergreen isn't actually in the Yosemite valley - it's about 20-30 minutes drive - but don't let that put you off. It really doesn't matter. Breakfast isn't included in the price but is of very high quality and at a reasonable price. The shop is well stocked and very useful. We had one small wrinkle with service (the room wasn't cleaned after the first night) but everyone is allowed a small wrinkle.

We'll be back - we'll stay for longer. That's the best review I can give Evergreen Lodge.

Room Tip: We stayed as far from the centre as you can (we were allocated - didn't choose it) but it really...
Green Features: Green credentials as long as your arm. First rate.
3 Thank hanskraay
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had booked this lodge a few months ago and picked Evergreen over accommodation in the park itself because we wanted peace and quiet. Having read the TA reviews, I was careful to request a cabin that was away from the main area, and book a non-weekend day to avoid the crowds. We unfortunately came during the shut-down, but as the cancellation policy did not allow refunds at short notice, we were committed (although reading through recent reviews it seems it may have been possible to cancel). In any case, I was pleased we came, as we just wanted to relax anyway.

I choose a King Deluxe cabin as I think these were newer and located in the newer area across the road. Checking in was smooth and friendly. Initially we were given D8, but when we looked at it, it wasn't very private and looked straight into 2 other cabins. We came back to switch rooms, and Stephanie (sp?) was very accommodating and helped us select another cabin - D1 (D4 was probably the most private one, but I think that was taken).

The Dogwood cabins were spacious, yet very cosy and comfortable. Yes there's no TV or Wifi, but the whole point for us was to get away from all that. We liked the little gas fireplace (once we figured out how to work it) and the screens on the doors. There is a little fridge and coffee maker as well. The bed was comfy. We liked the quirky touches like the thermos lamp and wooden stump table. The Sirius radio was good to have, and especially liked the provision of board games, all in very good condition and quality - lots to choose from.

We spent most of our time wandering around the property (amazed at how close the rim fire came) looking for wildlife (saw some deer), or reading on our almost private deck (there's a 'nature trail' that circles the camp perimeter - because of the shut down, was probably the closest most people got to walking in Yosemite, so we probably said hello to most other guests).

Up at the main area there are a couple of eating options - restaurant and bar. We ate at the bar because it was more casual. The bar staff are good, but slightly odd vibe with some people seeming to get better / friendlier service as they were locals or staff. I guess that can happen in any pub. The food was ok and priced reasonably for being in the middle of nowhere. We tended to go for burgers and salads. I tried to order an egg on my burger (being a good kiwi lass) but this wasn't possible. Or the barman thought I was just being strange.

We had also been wanting to try s'mores - that was a really nice touch. We didn't use the activity desk. I tried using the wifi in the rec area but gave up. There are lots of books available to borrow.

We didn't try the hot tub or pool.

I liked that the convenience store wasn't overpriced - eg 6 beers were $10, chips / crisps were only 40c more than the Vons at Mammoth Lakes. My partner said the coffee and muffins were not that great (but he's fussy on his coffee).

This lodge does offer a lot of options to suit lots of requirements and parts of it does feel a little bit like a camp you might go to as a kid. But to think it's in the middle of nowhere, it does pretty well. Really hard to be bored here, lots of things to do even with the park closed.

We didn't have any problems with service.

We had a really nice stay. It was one of the more pricier places we stayed at, but at the time I booked there wasn't much choice, even in 'off' season. But glad I did choose Evergreen, it was perfect for our needs. Just wish it was cheaper so I could stay longer! Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, request a King Deluxe cabin in the Dogwood area. Request Cabin D4 or D1. The...
2 Thank Welly_China_Girl
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were due to stay in the Yosemite valley at Curry village and held out to the late before booking Evergreen.

We turned up and we were surprised with the location. Only a few miles from the entrance to the national park.

The lodge has lots to see and do, which is great when the park was closed. There is a swimming pool, hot tub, recreation room, and small touches like, hammocks and sunset viewing platforms with seating and tables.

We stayed in the custom camping area. The tents as comfortable, we were supplied a fleece type sleeping back and a normal sleeping bag which kept the body quite toasty in the cold evenings, however, I would recommend a beanie type of hat to keep your head warm as you would wake each morning with a a nice block on your head.

Wifi was a nice touch but due to the location it was rubbish as it used satellites to connect. It was welcome when you managed to gets. Couple of minutes of connection. They also had three PCs in the recreation room. Only one of these seemed to have an internet connection and that too was slow.

If you are forced to eat at the lodge, be prepared to pay a premium for the convenience. The food was pricey.

On check in, we were supplied with a helpful little guide for things to do while the parks as closed and this was fantastic. We followed the route to a small ghost town called Bodie. It was around 2.5 hours away over the Tioga pass but was well worth the journey.

I would love to return here for a few slightly longer to enjoy the pool etc. would recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed in tent 5 which was far enough away from the bear boxes but close enough to the toilets an...
1 Thank mgoodchild00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Cedar Lodge
Yosemite Westgate Lodge
Yosemite Westgate Lodge
#4 of 7 in Groveland
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort

Been to Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!