If you like something a little more rustic but still want a more upscale, quiet, woodsy environment you'll totally enjoy the Evergreen.
Went to the Evergreen for 3 nights. When we booked, which was somewhat late, we were told we would have to be in 3 different cabins. They said they would move us from place to place. When we arrived, they ended up only having to move us one time which was great. The cabins were just perfect for us...clean, good beds and nice size bathroom with a strong shower. Nice little decks with chairs. We stayed in the "new" cabins, one which was newer than the other but both were nice. Can't vouch for the older units. Nothing fancy but well done and well kept.
The Evergreen is 7 miles back a road that goes through a lot of the Stanislaus National Forest and while it is by proximity close to the park, you have to drive back out the 7 miles to get to the road to the park entrance which is just maybe a mile away on the main road. Advice is to go early to avoid lines...weekdays are better than weekends. So it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the gate but we were happy not to be staying in the hotels in the Valley. If you only want to visit the Valley, and take the walks from there, I guess the Valley is a great place for you but to really see the sites, you need to drive around so you have to leave the Valley and drive anyway. The Valley is crowded with people and more cars. The Wawona, which is where we had initially booked is very far away from most places we wanted to see and the road back and forth from there is very windy.
Food was very good at the Lodge and since there is no where else really to go, unless you want to drive back into the Valley which is really pretty far, you will enjoy having the dining room right there. Meals were a little pricey but the quality was above average and dinners were great because you could have a more gourmet meal or they also offered sandwiches at lower prices. Don't have little kids but they did have a kids menu. Nice bar that gets some outside traffic too since it is the only one in the area.
We loved sitting outside on the patio for either drinks or dining under the covered porch area. The front porch dining was also charming. Some people just got take out and ate at the picnic tables in the recreation area.
While there is no internet or cell service, they do provide some computers to use and phones where you can make calls to anywhere in the US.
We utilized their tour services to take hikes in Yosemite. At first, I felt like this was an "extra" that we didn't really need but after going out for full day trips with their guides, we all felt we got a lot more out of the experience than if we had tried to do it ourselves. Not having to drive so you can soak in the sites as well as having someone who knows the roads, less crowded pull offs and just great info about the park made this a great first time trip. If we had been more experienced with the park, we wouldn't have needed this much help but for us, it was great. There is much more driving in Yosemite than I realized and I (being the sole driver for this trip) wasn't totally exhausted at the end of the day from doing the hours of driving it takes to get to places in Yosemite.
All in all, we loved this place. It felt very homey and comfortable, a great place to come back to after our all day trips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Evergreen Lodge is a newly expanded full-service historic resort featuring 88 spacious cabins in the woods. The lodge sits on 20 acres just a mile from Yosemite National Park in California, putting top attractions - Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne Meadows and Hetch Hetchy - in easy reach. At the lodge, savor a delicious meal, kick back in the classic tavern and enjoy other amenities, including Evergreen's sun deck, game room, kids play areas, nightly activities and therapeutic massage. Ready for adventure? Evergreen's professional guide service offers a variety of sightseeing, hiking, biking, fly fishing and snowshoeing tours, as well as free planning advice for self-guided adventures. A Frommer's 'Favorite' and 'Highly Recommended' by Fodor's, the Evergreen provides the perfect mix of recreation, relaxation and indulgence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Evergreen Lodge At Yosemite Hotel Groveland
- Evergreen Hotel Groveland
- Evergreen Hotel At Yosemite
- Evergreen Lodge Yosemite