“Perfect in Every Way!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groveland
Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins
Carlsbad, California
“Perfect in Every Way!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Thank-you to Lauren and Bill for a wonderful stay in Sugar Pine cabin, it truly was just perfect. This was our first ever visit to Yosemite and we could not have found a better place to stay.... or more helpful hosts.The cabin was clean and cozy and had everything we could have ever wanted....and that bed, oh it was so comfortable and just what I needed after a long day hiking! Evenings were spent sitting on the deck with a glass of wine and just relaxing in such peaceful surroundings....perfect!

Room Tip: Sugar Pine cabin was perfect for just the two of us!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gills123_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Thank you Lauren & Bill for the most wonderful stay at the Meadowlark Cabin. I wish I could've stayed longer! This was our first time at Sunset Inn and definitely won't be the last. The cabin was in great condition, and I loved how it felt like we were long-time friends even though we just met. My son loved your roosters (and the fresh "rooster" eggs you gave us). Thanks again for making it such a great weekend. Take care :)

1 Thank carol2carol
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for two nights and absolutely loved it. Unlike a hotel where one gets disturbed by the noise of next door shower, we were in a very peaceful surrounding and no disturbance whatsoever. This place is within 15 minutes of Yosemite. I will stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Thank you to Lauren and Bill for a short 1 night stay in their wonderful Larkspur cabin. This was our first time stay at Sunset inn and we will be definitely come back here for our future trips to Yosemite.
Our cabin was very well maintained, the kitchen was well equipped, bathroom small and clean, and a cozy king size bed. We even managed to get wifi connection :).

1 Thank arnbk
Minneapolis
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We will keep coming back to Sunset Inn! Clean, easy, quite, private and the chickens are so fun to watch in the AM. I was so happy to see this jewel survived the fire last summer!
It is a sure bet for a long day at Yosemite hiking.. come back and fix a great dinner and hang out on the deck in the quite of the valley.

Room Tip: You can fit 5 easy in the cabin but you have to like each other!
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My 6 year old son and I stayed for 2 nights in the Larkspur cabin at Sunset Inn in mid-April 2014. Lauren, Bill and Lupin the dog was great host. I decided to visit Yosemite about month and a half prior, knowing it was a last minute decision for our spring break. After reviewing other places inside Yosemite Valley, I've noticed how expensive they were and how shabby most places looked. I much rather wanted to stay somewhere comfortable, with good beds but still wanted that feel of being in a cabin in the woods. With Sunset Inn, we got best of both worlds!

The kitchen is small but very well stocked and functional. The refrigerator is fairly small (bigger than typical hotel mini fridge but definitely not a full size fridge) but sufficient. It also comes with a small microwave and a toaster oven. There's no actual oven, so do not plan on making a casserole or do any type of baking. There's no cooking oil provided so make sure to bring some. They had plastic wraps and aluminum foils.
Kitchen also includes a coffee maker although I didn't get to use it.
There's also a charcoal grill outside on a beautiful patio for BBQ. I didn't know how to start a charcoal grill but Bill was kind enough to start it up for us so we can make S'mores and also found some metal skewers for us.
The bathroom is small but functional. Larkspur cabin only has a shower. The water pressure isn't too strong but it was fine for me and I have very thick, long hair. My only request for the owners is to perhaps add a hook or a two so we can hang our toiletry bags. There were small shelfs but after you put your tooth brushes, cup, and a tooth paste, there's pretty much no space to put anything else. There is a nice hair dryer so you will not need to pack one. Nice, soft towels are also provided and soap is also provided. Our cabin also came with shampoo with conditioner but if you have difficult, long hair like mine, I would bring your own.

We were so busy exploring Yosemite during the day that we mostly came back to the cabin to eat dinner and sleep since my young son goes to bed fairly early. I wish we had more time to spend and relax at the cabin. Next time, for sure!

For anyone with small children, the property has a swing, a small sandbox and a nice chicken coop. Lauren gave us some eggs and they were the best eggs I've ever had in my life! Much better than Whole Foods eggs. My son LOVED the swing. Each morning, he was out there swinging away. The property was nice and secluded that I felt totally safe letting him play in the swing by himself while I cleaned up after dinner. Lovely dog Lupin kept him company. My son is also scared of dogs but Lupin was so friendly that by the second day, he was completely comfortable with Lupin hanging around him. :)
I would highly recommend this property for your next Yosemite visit. Even though it is about a 45 minute drive to Yosemite Valley, it's so much quieter and you will truly experience being in the woods. Be aware that due to last summer's Rim Fire, the western part of Yosemite, including Sunset Inn's surrounding has lots of burnt trees and brown trees. Obviously this isn't Sunset Inn's fault but that still doesn't take away the magical feeling of being in Yosemite.
Obviously, there's no TV and you will not have any internet connection. The whole point of visiting Yosemite is so you can disconnect from all that once in a while and enjoy nature. So if you want Ritz Carlton turn down service, WiFi and TV, Sunset Inn or even visiting Yosemite will not be for you.

Room Tip: Larkspur cabin can sleep up to 2 adults in queen size bed and 1 small child in a sofa bed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Sunset Inn is an amazingly place to stay in the Yosemite area, about the closest place you can stay outside the park. As we entered the driveway on our arrival day, it began to snow, and the Meadow Lark cabin couldn't have been more warm and welcoming. The kitchen was immaculate and perfect for doing real cooking, the bathroom towels were plush and the beds were comfy. Lauren and Bill were great. They know Yosemite well and can offer many suggestions for fun activities. Their big sweet dog was friendly too, and the hens gave us delicious fresh eggs for breakfast. This is a great place and a great value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Rush Creek Lodge
#5 of 7 in Groveland
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins? Share your experiences!