“Charming cabins near Yosemite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groveland
Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We stayed at Sunset Inn for just a night, but it was perfect. It is located about 25 miles from the Yosemite valley, far enough from the highway and right inside the forest.

The cabins are elegant, small but cozy and fully equipped, and have a deck. The grounds of the inn are vast, dotted with interesting artifacts, and there are plenty of campfire spots and trails all around to be explored as well. Finally, the hosts, Bill and Lauren (and their dogs) are very friendly, and ready with suggestions.

Would definitely come back here and recommend it to others!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 February 2011

We stayed here over the holiday weekend in February to celebrate my husband’s birthday. Normally I would have booked the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls in the Valley, but they were booked solid. I really don’t like the long drive into and out of the park every morning and evening so I was bummed we were staying outside the park. I stumbled across this lovely place and chose it because it was the closest accommodation to the Yosemite gate on Highway 120. Surprisingly I loved it! We stayed in the Larkspur cabin, which was a great choice. Firewood and a parking space were right outside our front door. Our favorite features of the cabin were the wood burning stove which kept the place cozy warm and making breakfast and dinners in our own little kitchen. After spending time in the Valley it felt like coming home. Having home cooked meals by the fire with my husband was unforgettable.

King Size Bed – Super comfortable. I usually have trouble sleeping in beds other than our own, but I had a wonderful nights sleep for each of the three nights we were there. The comforter and quilt on the bed were enough to keep me warm throughout the night.

Bathrooms – A relaxing shower with a removable showerhead and enough hot water for two consecutive showers. There were two spiders in the bathroom but that shouldn’t be a surprise since you’re in the woods. Towels are provided but bring your own toiletries.

Kitchen – The cabin comes equipped with pots/pans, bowls, plates, cups, silverware, knives, can opener, four range stove, toaster oven, coffee/teas, a mini fridge and a microwave (which we were not able to use, see below). Come prepared with groceries. Next time I’ll need to bring a cheese shredder.

Wood Burning Stove – the best feature in this cabin.

Snowshoes – The owners have snowshoes you can borrow.

Quiet and peaceful - No cell service, no TV, no internet. It was quality time with just the two of us. We loved it. We didn’t even hear our neighbors in the next cabin. Since there was no cell service, Lauren was so nice to call the park for us and check to see if the roads were open.

Bringing slippers would be a good idea because the floors can get cold if you ever have to get up multiple times in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, like I do.

We arrived during a snowstorm so the electricity was out for our entire stay. Thankfully the cabins were powered by a generator but it was not kept on all night. We were at the mercy of when the owners decided to turn the generator on and off. The kitchen has a microwave but we were not able to use it. The owners did not want us using the microwave when the generator was in use. So each day we wondered if the electricity was back on and each night we wondered when the generator was going to be turned off. A camping lantern was provided in case we needed light in the evening.

Since we were here during the winter, it took us about an hour one-way to drive from the cabin to the Valley floor with four wheel drive. It was a long drive to and from, especially after a long day of exploring. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this place to others but you would need to evaluate your individual needs. Next time, we’ll need to weigh our preference for a wood burning stove and the ability to cook our own meals versus the convenience of being right there on the valley floor.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsScubap21
Reviewed 5 December 2010

The sugar pine cabin is so lovely, in the middle of the nature and so confortable ! It was the perfect place for a honeymoon in the Yosemite, a wonderful national park... We stayed there for only 2 nights, and we hope we will come back one day and stay longer !

1  Thank AS1984
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Well what can I say sometimes words do not express the emotion you get while traveling and this is one of those places.

Our trip around California was amazing but this place was the one place we loved the most. Our only regret was not staying longer.

Lauren, her husband and son are amazing and I made us feel right at home.
The place is located just outside Yosemite park gate which is a short drive then about 15 minutes into the center of the park.

The one thing I loved about staying here was the drive in the mornings with the amazing sun rises and snow all around you. My wife and I had so many amazing moments in the park while traveling to and from the park to our cabin... we just loved the time we had to talk alone the way and feeling remote and on holidays was just what we wanted. But do not be fooled it’s not a long drive it’s just we loved taking our time and enjoying one of the great parks in the world.

My wife and I have decided that on our anniversary this will be the place we go back too and stay for a couple of weeks.. A place to us which is full of adventure, love and most of the amazing Yosemite park.

If you are travellers like my wife and I this is the place to discover.

the traveling aussies =:)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We spent four days in Sugar Pine Cabin over Labor day. Yosemite is an amazing place, even when you have a lot of company but coming back to Sunset Inn was an instant calm. At 4,600 feet above sea level the cabin cooled off very well by early evening so a good nights sleep was very easy. The cabin was clean, quiet and well equip for basic meal preparation. The Nickells were wonderful hosts , readily sharing their broad local knowledge, the products of their hen house and, in my case, the temporary loan of a book on local history.
I would gladly stay there again and have recommender the Inn to a number of friends.

Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed at Sunset Inn for the second year in a row. We just love this place. The cabin we stayed in was just perfect. It is the perfect size for the two of us and has a kitchen so we can cook and prepare a lunch for a day in Yosemite. The property owners, Lauren and Bill, are very accomodating but certainly not obtrusive. The cabin is set in a grove of pine trees and is very quiet and peaceful. The proximity to the Crane Flat Yosemite entrance is a also a big plus as well as access to Hetch Hetchy area. We look forward to next year's stay at Sunset Inn.

Reviewed 3 October 2010

I am lucky to have discovered this quiet and quintessential experience. There are three clean, comfortable and cozy cabins tucked into the woods, just far enough off the beaten path. Cabins have decks and patios with BBQ's.
It's a great location from which to access great adventures in Yosemite.
The hosts are friendly, helpful and hospitable.
This is a year round accessible paradise within paradise, and a great place to stay if you want to avoid crowds and hear only the noise of nature at the end of your day.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
#3 of 7 in Groveland
The Majestic Yosemite Hotel
The Majestic Yosemite Hotel
#1 of 3 in Yosemite National Park

Been to Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins? Share your experiences!