“Looking forward to great service again,, but sadly disappointed :(” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door - CLOSED

Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Back Street
Transit: YARTS stop is a block away at Mary Laveroni Park.
San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looking forward to great service again,, but sadly disappointed :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I'll start by telling you the story. My husband and I were traveling through Groveland this past September and had a little problem with our truck. We decided to stay at a nearby hotel and they suggested The Groveland Hotel for dinner. We were a little on the stressed and tired side when we arrived but when we walked in the door and JoEllen at the front desk greeted us, we felt a little better. Such a sweet lady. But the real treat was our server Michelle. She had the brightest smile and made us laugh and gave us some of the best service we've ever had. We were the last diners at the end of the night and were sitting on the back patio. She came and chatted and we liked her so much we asked her to sit for a minute. We had a great conversation and she pointed us in the direction of a good mechanic. We felt like we had known her for years. Soooo,, when we came through town again on the 1st of November, we were looking forward to having another wonderful dining experience and wanted to thank her for making us feel at home and relieving a little of the stress we were feeling that night. We were sadly disappointed when we were told she was no longer employed there. The young lady who served us was nice enough but had no idea what she was doing. The service was super slow, it took forever for our wine. You would think this wouldn't be the case since there's only a few tables in the dining room. It seemed way understaffed and like all the employees just started that day. The food was just blah this time. Maybe it was blah last time but we just didn't notice because our experience was so much better. Nothing to come back to. Maybe Michelle will see this and tell us where she went so we can bring our friends to enjoy her company next time we come to this little town. I'm hoping she was whisked away by a fabulous new place :)

• Visited November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sacramento, California, Usa
“Sad time for Groveland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We have been planning to eat dinner at the Grovel and Hotel on the way to Yosemite for almost one year. October 31, Halloween night we showed up for our reservation. They had a big black kettle in the middle of the dining room for the endless parade of trick-or-treaters and it was entertaining, BUT...they did not have in stock the first three wines I choose from the wine list. Same experience for the couple at the table behind us. I ordered linguini carbonara and it was a goopy, sticky, glob of salt and flour. The salad was grossly over dressed. My wife's hamburger was tough. I know the fires and park closure were tough, not this is a destination place to eat.

Sacramento, California
“Fun Place To Hang & Have Dinner with the Hotel Ghost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Loved our stay at The Groveland Hotel and had a great dinner at this place. I think the hotel ghost sat & had dinner with us because every time I looked at my drink the liquid level was lower and lower...........LOL

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Modesto, California
“Delicious!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to take a detour on the way home from a visit with family and ended up in Groveland for a late dinner. Most places were closed so we decided to go into the Groveland Hotel to eat. I'm so glad we did! It was warm and inviting and the staff was very friendly. Our server, Kim, was great and recommended the Osso Buco...it was delicious and I will definitely order again when we go back. We also had the fried green beans, caprese salad, and butternut squash soup - all very very good. This will for sure be one of our spots to visit from now on.

Modesto, California
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

While visiting a relative in Groveland, my friend and I decided to have dinner at The Cellar Door, since I had eaten here a few years ago, and it wasn’t bad. We were a tad early for dinnertime, but were escorted in anyway, and the wines we were offered prior to ordering were quite pleasant. Being wine aficionados, we appreciated their use of large wine goblets, as they really tend to enhance wine's delicate flavors. Our attentive waitress checked on us often until we ordered. During our wait, we enjoyed the ambience, particularly the eye-catching ornaments that surrounded us.

The menu had a good selection of American cuisine. I had the marinated free-range parmesan chicken, and my friend chose the ossobuco-style braised short ribs, which were both delicious. However, we thought the Ribs were the better of the two--they were so juicy, flavorful and tender that they practically fell off the bone. The two sides, garlic mashed potatoes and meatballs, were excellent, as well as the homemade salad dressing and the white bean soup. The food has improved leaps and bounds since the last time we came here. Amazing!

Just one piece of advice, though--make sure you ask the vintage of the wine, before you elect to order it. They have a very comprehensive list, but, like quite a few small-town restaurants, the turnover may not be frequent enough; you might end up with a wine aged a little past its prime. Ours were on the older side, and certainly still drinkable despite the age, but others may not be. All in all, this was a very memorable dinner, and I'd advise anyone staying or passing through Groveland to give this place a try—the pleasant atmosphere, great food and drink, and attentive service made for an excellent dining experience.

• Visited September 2013