“A little let down.”

Yosemite Lakes RV Resort
“A little let down.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a yurt while we were here. Reserved online and didn't know that some were by the river while others were not. Asked the "customer service" person at the desk about possibly switching to waterside and was shot down immediately and somewhat rudely. Once at the yurt, couldn't help but notice the state of disrepair. The deck boards were loose and the grill provided was rusted to the point of being almost unusable. The utensils provided in the kitchen (none were provided for grilling - had to buy my own) were adequate except there wasn't a sharp knife in the bunch. Bedding was stained and torn in places. All of this aside, we did manage to enjoy the stay. The bathroom was better than expected, though still fairly rustic. Being able to shower after a day of running through the park was fantastic. And the proximity to Yosemite was appreciated. All in all, not a terrible place to be. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
Brussels
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We rented the yurt for 6 people. It was very spacious, beds were excellent, nice kitchen, fully equipped, air-conditioning,, in the middle of the wood, very close to the Yosemite park entrance.

Look at the official pictures: what you see is what you get.

Room Tip: Select yurts that are on the hill side, not in the camping area.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank metdank
Ojai, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Dirty bathrooms and showers, the sign-off sheet on the wall hadn't been signed for 4 days, trash was over-flowing. The add promised "gold panning"; the river is a muddy ditch with trash flowing around. The "lounge" was furnished with sofas type the ones sitting at the curb for pick-up and the carpeting was dirty. The smell was so bad so I just left. The add talks about cafeteria- well, there is one 6 miles towards Groveland. She country store and gas station is lokated 45min walk up-hill to the main road. The "mini-golf" course had weed growing through the pavement and the volley ball net had big holes. For $55/night, this is a ripoff! Besides, it is a lot more than 5miles from the Park entrance.

On the way home, I did see another campground and RV resort about 7 miles towards Groveland that, at least form the road, looked a lot nicer.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ing Marie S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have to say this up front, I'm not a lover of camping. I camp b/c I married a Boy Scout and he grew up camping yet I know what to expect and I do enjoy myself when I do find myself one with nature. My one requirement camping: showers.

Yosemite Lakes Resort is a beautiful place to camp. We (hubby, I and our pooch) met our group of 16 friends and family to fill four camp sites P44 to P47 right along the river and adjacent to the river trail for the Sunday to Sunday adventure. The river location was perfect b/c every night you were lulled to sleep by the sound of river flowing downstream. Of course being next to the river draws flies and mosquitoes but just cover up once the sun starts to go down. I came home bug bite free which is a rarity but I knew when to cover up my arms and legs once the sun went down each night.

Our sites were across the way from the the restrooms and the newly put up UTE-Wok Village. Our sites were a five minute walk to the Family Lodge as well the swimming area (green bridge) of the river, no lifeguard, swim at your own risk, lots of rocks under the water. Our sites were shaded with part sun during the day. While the drive into the campground area showed signs of the Rim Fire from 2013, we were able to have a campfire due to the lower temperatures and a slight drizzle early in the week.

The guys/kids would walk/ride their bikes down by the green bridge to do some fishing every evening and would actually catch some pretty decent trout. The largest trout caught in our group was 16 inches and the second trout was 15.5 inches. Not bad for a drought year and the fact the river is restocked every now and then.

The campground has some extras that most campgrounds do not have. The family lodge has television with cable tv, puzzles, billiards and air conditioning if the elements outside get too hot. The children in our group would ride down to the family lodge to get in some tv towards the end of our seven day trip. The tv was also useful to watch the World Cup matches during our trip. The grounds has a small mini golf area next to the check in area.

The bathrooms are suppose to be serviced every day and you can see the sheet on the wall when they come and supposedly clean and replenish the tp and the paper towels. During our trip, I noticed one day the bathrooms would be cleaned and stocked and the very next day, you'd see the person come with the garbage bags but that was all they did. Did not clean out the showers, replenish the tp or paper towels or even sweep the floors. Had to call my husband to run and grab tp since all toilets had none one Sunday morning. Saturday is a busy day at any campground, you'd think they would ensure every bathroom was stocked but guess not that day.

There were some reviewers who complained about the small mini golf area and other extra amenities of the grounds being run down Seriously some people are too spoiled....as my hubby explained it to me, camping is becoming one with nature, using your imagination to do something different besides video games, computers, wifi, smart phones etc. Yosemite Lakes is NOT San Francisco, it's a densely populated area that has to endure the elements of the winter as well as the summer. Camping is about making your own fun and not be judgmental of not having games being provided for you.

I don't camp that much, but this was an experienced that I enjoyed and look forward to the big trip next year.

Room Tip: Make sure you fill up for gas in Oakdale as all the stations up near Groveland ran out of gas, credi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank qtjeep12
Reviewed 10 July 2014

While traveling the west coast with my family, we stayed in a Yurt at the Yosemite Lakes RV park. The location is superb, just 5 miles from the gates of Yosemite. It is technically inside of the park. We are a family of 5, and stayed in the Yurt with a double/twin bunk, and double futon. The accommodations were immaculate. I was surprised at the cleanliness of the facilities, and the fact that you got a kitchen, a full bathroom, and all of the things you need to make a simple meal. There was a barbecue, picnic table, and fire pit. A few suggesions for improvement: I would suggest more than 4 plates/cups/forks, etc, camp chairs for around the fire, as we didn't have anything to sit on (road trippers), and a lighter for the fire.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the Yurt. It was very comfortable.
Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Biginfl
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Volleyball net has holes all in it, court has weeds all over. Putt putt golf area is in need of major repairs. Weeds and grass knee high throughout grounds. Has an issue with people trying to reserve camp spots and it was not handled appropriately by management. Overall very disappointed. The pictures do not show the real state of the grounds. :(

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank pickle2000
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in the hill yurt and love it. We have absolutely nothing negative to say about this place. The yurt is so cute, clean and spacious. The kitchen has everything we needed to cook our own food. Staff is very nice and friendly. The first night we accidentally locked ourself out and had to ask our neighbor to drive us to the office. The lady at the reception gave us the extra key with no problem and concern if we had to walk to the office. The second night we had problem turn on the heater ( yes, it's June and still freezing in the early morning). My husband came down the office and the technician came to our yurt within 10 mins to fix it. Overall, it's a great stay. Thank you Yosemite Lake resort to make this trip a beautiful memory.
Tip: shop all your grocery and fill gas in Groveland, from downtown Groveland to yurt village is a good 35 mins drive. Gas is extremely expensive in Yosemite valley.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katemit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Rush Creek Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort

Been to Yosemite Lakes RV Resort? Share your experiences!