“Not as nice as I had hoped”

Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grover Beach
Los Angeles, CA
“Not as nice as I had hoped”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I booked a room at the Grover Beach Holiday Inn Express through Hotwire -- they classifed this hotel as a 3* property. In the past, I've tended to be pleasantly surprised by the Holiday Inn Expresses that I've stayed at -- they're usually nicer than I expected. Sadly, this wasn't the case here. In reading through Hotwire's website after the fact, I saw that they sometimes classify HIX as 3*, and sometimes as 2 1/2 *. This property should definitely be classified as a 2 1/2 *.

There weren't any major problems with this hotel, it just felt kind of old and tired. It seems like it might have previously been a different brand of hotel and was converted to Holiday Inn.

I thought my room had a bit of a stale, funky smell when I first went in -- opening the window helped, though I then had to deal with street noise. The rooms have a very dark brown carpet, and I just kept thinking that it probably hides dirt pretty well, and they don't have to clean the carpets as often as they otherwise might -- not the way I want to feel as I'm walking barefoot around the room. The bed was a bit soft/lumpy, though I slept comfortably enough. The walls were somewhat thin, but not too terrible. The biggest annoyance was that the TV reception was terrible, especially in the lower channels (2-10) -- so I couldn't watch HBO, NBC or ABC.

All in all, you could do worse, and if you just need a place to stop for the night, it's o.k. (but a bit pricey for what you get). I wouldn't stay there for anything more than just a quick stopover.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear chbruce,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is regrettable we fell short of your expectations with the condition of our facilities. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
los angeles
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Right off the 101 freeway, it's very convenient. The entrance is tricky to find as the sign is blocked by plants. We were upgraded to a fireplace suite. Very nice. On the backside of the hotel, so away from the freeway noise. As with every HIX, great shower head, very nice mattress and a satisfying breakfast. Love the cinnamon rolls.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the backside of the property, away from the freeway.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and this is our second time to stay here. Like before the hotel was clean, looked clean and smelled fresh. There is a small balcony if you want to drink your coffee and enjoy the crisp cool air. This hotel is within 15 minutes driving distance of anything you might visit in the area. It comes with free WIFI and had a small refrigerator. Adequate size of TV in place but who would want to just watch TV while visiting the Central Coast? Free breakfast is adequate but don`t expect 5 star buffet quality. Remember it was free. Front desk staff is friendly, professional and helpful. Bed is good enough but the pillows are way too small. Whoever made the choice of buying those pillows should be punished by using those pillows for a week.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Great location with quiet clean rooms. 10 minutes away from local nude beach, 5 minutes from Pismo beach and town and Sycamore hot tubs. Walk to movies on cold days.
Breakfast included, clean big rooms. Plenty of restaurants in area. Just remodeled and nicer than previous times. So many beaches and great seafood in the area

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank TravelerVII
Danville, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is an average HIX - certainly not as nice as the SLO property about 15 miles up the road - and not walking distance from the beach. The rooms are not terribly spacious and the HVAC system (wall unit) is functional but a bit antiquated. Checkin was quick and was happy to be pre-assigned to a top floor (3rd) room in the middle of the wing. Nice view of freeway but reasonably quiet. Standard HIX bathroom with curved plastic shower curtain but with 2 sinks. Frig and 32" flat screen, std free wifi. Unimpressive free breakfast which upset my stomach one morning - beware of non-baked items. The bed was lumpy, pillows were mediocre. A broad range of clientele here including families, partyers, etc. but not upscale and mostly 1-night travelers looking for a place off the freeway.

There is a CVS across the freeway if you need provisions, and a Vons down the road towards Grover Beach with a starbucks.

Sad to say, but this property is better than many others in the area, all of which are overpriced due to location and seasonal weekend demand. Was debating the rating - it's really 2* on an overall scale (with Ritz and Four Season at top) but for HIX quality it is close to average, and average for the area, so I'll be generous with 3*. I doubt we will stay here again unless they replace the beds.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor, facing away from freeway.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boraxo
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Boraxo,

I want to personally thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express | Grover Beach - Pismo Beach Area. I'm glad you were able to stay with us during the lovely Central Coast's Summer season. I'm also happy to hear that we had you pre-assigned to a 3rd floor. I'm sorry to hear that you thought that your bed was lumpy, in addition to replacing A/C units we are also swapping out the current beds for new refreshed ones as needed. If you would be kind enough to message me privately letting me know the room number perhaps we can fix this so that your next visit to the Holiday Inn Express | Grover Beach - Pismo Beach Area is perfect. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Sam M.
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This was the last place available last minute on 4th of July weekend.
Not near beach, but good convenient location just off freeway. We stayed in the rooms facing west so freeway noise really wasn't an issue. Guest noise was kinda annoying as doors were slamming and our neighbor was snoring like a chain saw. Also parking lot noise was noticeable.
The room was generally clean, but there were some annoying things like a grungy A/C unit that really needs to be replaced or at least cleaned. No fan in the bathroom - and apparently the vent in there brings in outside air because it smelled like chinese food for a long time! No guide for the TV,- small thing but really annoying. Internet was good, plenty of speed.
It was fine for 1 night but would trade up to a better place next time.
BTW - eat breakfast at Huckleberrys about 2 exits north off 101 in Pismo. Line looks long but they move em fast. Great food for cheap.

Room Tip: get room facing the back away from the freeway. Also make sure you don't get one next to the ele...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Californiatripper86,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to have you stay with us for the 4th of July Holiday. I apologize for the noise disturbance and the air conditioner. We are in the process of getting new air conditioners to better meet guests needs. I'm glad that you got to try Huckleberrys down the street from us, its a staff favorite. We hope to have you with us again in the future. Thank you again.
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We got the last room. We had to pay for the upgraded king room with a fireplace which bites in June anyway. It appeared that the fireplace doors didn't work even if we had wanted to use it. The real problem was that our air conditioner dripped water. Maintenance came twice but couldn't fix it....just put a bucket under it and let it drip. Staff was friendly and the place was clean.

• Stayed June 2013
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Tjshade,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your open and candid comments. I would like to first express my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced with the A/C unit, we are currently in the process of updating our A/C units so that an issue of this magnitude doesn't happen again. I'm happy to hear that my hotel was not only clean but that my staff was friendly, our hotel prides itself in having sincere, genuine, and friendly staff members.

Sam
Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach Area
Cottage Inn by the Sea
Cottage Inn by the Sea
#6 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area? Share your experiences!