“No good. I'll never go back” 2 of 5 bubbles

Yamato Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 55 Restaurants in Grover Beach
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Templeton, California
“No good. I'll never go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

We got takeout on a Saturday night. We ordered a California Garden roll (california roll with spicy tuna on top), a spicy tuna roll (firecracker?), and a chirashi bowl (sashimi served over sushi rice).

The spicy tuna was HORRIBLE. It was 60+% mayonaise. It was like eating a mayonaise roll. As far as I could tell there was no actual tuna involved! It doesn't help that I'm not a big mayonaise fan, but even my dining partner who loves mayonaise thought it was too much mayo!

My chirashi bowl was equally unimpressive! Most of the fish was more than half cooked and really "over" seasoned/sauced, instead of actually being sashmi. The fish that wasn't cooked tasted fishy, and was cut horribly so I can see why they'd want to cook and hide it as much as possible. It was full of muscle, and fibrous pieces.

I won't be going back... even if someone else pays! It wasn't cheap either. The two rolls, and a chirashi bowl ran us almost 50 bucks!

• 1 of 5 bubbles