“New Space”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Avenue
Transit: On the Orcutt to Santa Maria Route.
Reviewed 4 November 2012

It has been a long wait for the New Far Western to open in their new space. It is charming and spacious, and very friendly. The decor has mixed Old Ranch with Modern Californian. They still have the red velvet wallpaper, and big floral print carpet, but also have smooth lines of wood and glass.
Rick Masons influence is felt and tasted. The menu is finally evolving into more than a steak house. I had the halibut with soft shell crab and lemony chardonnay sauce. Very good.
The one thing that is disappointing is the salad. Chef Ricks had an amazing house salad, but sadly Far Western still serves iceberg lettuce with 2 radish slices.
The wait staff was young and energetic. A nice change from the 50's style waitresses at the old location.
What made the day was to see that sweet potato muffins are offered at the Sunday Brunch.
I am dreaming of sweet potato muffins.
He will not give out the recipe, I have asked.

1  Thank Solafiore

Reviewed 1 November 2012

The Far Western has moved from Guadalupe to Orcutt and the new place is beautiful. It captures the ranch feel of the original while looking new and clean. The combination of perennial beef favorites with Rick Manson's Cajun influence works well. We were particularly impressed by the professionalism of the wait staff. We were treated like adults not "guys" as many immature waiters tend to do. The lunch prices were comparable to other restaurants of this type and the food was perfectly prepared. We will be back.

1  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed 25 September 2012

After hearing so much about this restaurant, how it was Sunset Mag's best CA BBQ, we were very disappointed in it execution. First off the town of Guadalupe CA is among the most depressing towns I have seen in many years. The town is slowly being deserted, and the Far Western Tavern will leaving as well. And the facility shows its age, and the fact that there has been no investment in the facility since the Earthquake in 2003, 9 years ago.

As for the food, it was plentiful and well prepared. My dry aged steak was tasty, and the sides were well executed. The wine list was limited, and this was a surprise considering some of the great local wines from Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles.

Here's hoping to see much improvement when they reopen this fall in their new location.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Went there to have a steak dinner. Jockos was full. (great steaks also). It's been a while since I've been here for a steak I was surprised it was that good. The prices have gone way up but it was well worth it. Can't wait for them to move to Orcutt.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Okay, so I was going to make Spaghetti tonight but Wayne surprised me with a Dinner at Jocko's (my fav steakhouse.) It was full =( so I made reservations for the Far Western. I was born in Santa Maria and I had never been there before so I was excited to go try this historical restaurant. There were only 4 other tables besides ours to be waited on. We were there for 1 hour and 45 min. waiting for food to be served. We ordered 2 strawberry Margaritas. The waitress said they didn't have strawberry. NO STRAWBERRIES IN THE STRAWBERRY CAPITAL? Anyway we ordered raspberry margaritas instead. The waitress said the bartender could "try" to make them and they did have raspberries...ok....we both took one sip and back to the bar they went. They were horrible. The olives had pits. Wish I knew that before I bit into one. We were served our shrimp cocktails but didn't get our forks until we were half done. I guess they were running out of salad dressing, got a huge green salad with a tablespoon of watered down dressing. The steak was good BUT not as good as Jockos or the Hitching Post. It was the first and last time at the Far Western =/ The worst part was we walked out with Wayne paying MORE than a Franklin bill for 2 people!!! Far Western 2 thumbs down!!!

1  Thank SandiBrown