“Returned for Seconds”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gualala
Seacliff Motel on the Bluff
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Gualala
Sonoma, California
“Returned for Seconds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

On a random selection, my wife and I stayed overnight at the Seacliff on the Bluff hotel on our way to Fort Bragg. First impressions are indeed important and ours was being met in the lobby by the smiling face of Cathy--welcoming us to the hotel and to Gualala. Our room was spotlessly clean and offered us a panoramic view of the seashore below. As the evening chill set in, we flicked on the gas fireplace and uncorked a bottle of our favorite Cabernet.

After spending the next three days in Fort Bragg, we kept thinking of the Seacliff and how enchanting our stay was. So I picked up the phone and booked a room on our return trip. That experience was even better than before. We now have another favorite place to stay for a romantic getaway. We applaud the owners, management and every member of the staff for presenting such an exceptional hotel experience.

Room Tip: We preferred the second floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kent S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This place was great. It was very clean and had everything for a nice couple getaway - fireplace, spa tub, ocean view, private deck, and a big king-size bed. Susan was very helpful when I called on the phone and continued the great service when we arrived. We left the deck door open all night (March) just to listen to the waves crashing. We woke up this morning to about 30 seals sunning themselves on a sandbar just outside our room.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Missi B
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I am a regular at the Surf Motel next door and got lucky that they were fully booked and I remembered this place. I called and Susan said there was a last minute cancellation and she was really nice and straight to the point. My reservation process was less than 2 minutes.

I had always thought this place to be condos since it looked almost like it from the outside. And I was surprised to see that it was a hotel. I was hesitant to book from all the photos online, the place looked like it had older furniture almost like motels. But I was pleasantly surprised to find it was exactly like it pictured but in great condition and room very well kept and clean.I got in early and they were nice enough to let me check in early since the room was jus made up. I had a gorgeous view of Gualala River and the Pacific Ocean through full wall of windows. Plus the lazy boy recliners that I turned around and sat in while I watch the Ocean hit the beach. I had my own fireplace and a large jacuzzi tub. PLUS my own little balcony that looked onto the ocean with a table and 2 lawn chairs. These along are a lot more amenities than my usual room at the Surf Motel and cheaper too. Every room in this place has the ocean view. My room was on the bottom floor which I like cause I could get a better view of the ocean wether laying in bed, standing up or just sitting in any spot of the room. The only downside from being on the bottom floor was that the Gualala Bluff Trail passed right by the window and you could see people walking past, this didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that I could hear the occupants above us easily, I supposed there isn't much insulation between the 2 levels. :(
The Tv as well had lots of stations but most of which were not accessible. Other than that, the service from time of booking to time of check out was wonderful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T L
Santa Rosa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My sister and I went there last year for a sister weekend.

The Good:

The staff is amazingly friendly. They left zero room for improvement. Loved them.
The view was incredible. We would turn our chairs towards the window and relax. Even tried sleeping in the chairs one night (read about that in "The Bad.")
The pricing was fair.
You're on the same side of the highway as the ocean, and the same side of the highway as Trink's.
The balcony facing the ocean is a nice touch.

The Middle-of-the-Road:

The rooms could use a small update. They aren't crazy tacky. Just not super-modern.
The shower stall was a little scary. Not dirty or anything; just small and darkish. And I can't remember exactly - just remember it being a lil bit creepy.

The Bad:

There's just one thing. The mattress. But it's serious. I actually was able to set my coffee mug in the dip in the mattress, and the top of the mug was the same level as the mattress. WHAT ON EARTH. It was so awful, that one night, we decided to try sleeping in the reclining chairs. Both nights we ended up sleeping like puppies on the edges of the mattress.

That being said! We are about to book a room there again for this year's sister weekend. I also hope to even get the same room, granted they've gotten a new mattress in that pig.

Just definitely ask if the mattress is good before you book. Maybe even have them check. I can't remember what room we were in, but it was upstairs and on the end of one of the buildings. Last building or next to the last building - away from the office.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank jeneyjeney
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our trip down the coast. Kathie in reception was so warm and inviting. The hotel itself is located the closest to the ocean that I have ever stayed. And the Gualala River flows into the ocean right at the hotel. Our room was perfect with a gas fireplace to warm it up quick, beautiful picture window looking out to the ocean and even a deck to sit out on. Very comfy furniture too. It's not the newest or most modern but it had everything we needed including a microwave and mini-fridge. Also a jacuizza tub and warm cozy bathrobes. Walking along the beach and browsing through the nearby shops also made this a spectacular stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

for 17 yrs we have been staying at Seacliff...rooms are romantic,fireplaces, whirlpool hot tubs, huge windows looking out at the Gualala river where it meets the ocean. has a small deck & binoculars to catch whale sightings. Kathie & Susan at the front desk are 2 of the best ladies, full of great tips for restaurants & nearby attractions. We always ask for room 4D..upstairs with a vaulted ceiling & view are fantastic....love everything about it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank briannaCalifornia
Kenai, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is a great place. We had room C1 which is on the bottom floor. Seacliff on the bluff consists of several (I think there was 4 or 5) 2 story buildings each building had two rooms upstairs and 2 downstairs. The room had a jetted tub, an electric fireplace, and a private deck. The view from the room looked out off a bluff to the Pacific. We could hear and watch the surf from our room. The décor was a little dated but clean and comfortable. There was no complimentary breakfast but the room did have a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. We even had a complimentary bottle of cider. The staff was very nice and full of information. An easy walking path ran along the bluff past the hotel. Shops including grocery and a restaurant are within a couple of blocks. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Second story rooms would have less people walking.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to Seacliff Motel on the Bluff? Share your experiences!