“sleep to the sound of the surf”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gualala
Seacliff Motel on the Bluff
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Gualala
Reviewed 18 April 2006

We enjoyed our stay at Sea Cliff on the Bluff. The room was clean and large, with a balcony overlooking the beach. The bathroom had a two person whirlpool tub and separate shower. No phones in the room and lousy cell phone reception, but who wants to talk on the phone, anyway :). Bed was very comfortable, but rest of furniture was outdated in style. Loved hearing the ocean while drifting off to sleep. Not a four star luxury hotel, but for the price-- pretty nice. Would recommend this place to friends. Take a walk on the beach if you go!

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank furbabyvet

Meadow Valley, California
Reviewed 30 October 2005

We have stayed at a number of places along the north coast and this was one of the best. We were in a second floor room and the views and privacy were great. I cannot say enough about the views there are floor to ceiling windows in the room that look out over the river and the ocean. That's why I recommend a second floor room, more privacy. We had recliners in our room which we turned around to face the ocean. We spent a couple of hours every morning and evening just sitting and watching the ocean and the wildlife. Most evenings we just bought something from the Surf Supermarket for dinner and watched the sunset. The place was always clean and the staff more than helpful. My husband liked the chocolates they left in the room every day and used the spa tub every morning. They were running an internet special when we stayed at the end of October so the total cost of a week was only $561. If you are looking for a place on the ocean to truly get away and relax this is the place.
The lack of phones was a great thing for people that really want to get away from it all. You can get cell phone service at the Fire Station in Point Arena (we have Edge Wireless).

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 October 2005

I loved this place with one exception. they do not have air conditioning so if it is a warm day you go into a very warm room with no way to cool it quikly. they have a standing fan in each room, but it takes a long time to cool the room down. otherwise, I loved this place and would stay there again any time. the staff was friendly, helpful and responsive to problems. when I complained about the heat, they moved me into a room that got more of a breeze. wonderful!!

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank ConcordDee
Martinez, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2005

My wife and I have stayed here before, but never in the summer, when the river mouth is closed off. The rates are about $20 more in the "hot" season, but I think it is definitely worth it. The rooms are small and have no phones, as other reviewers have mentioned, but this is the type of place which would be cheapened by phone calls. I recommend bringing an ice chest since the mini-fridge is really only big enough to fit the COMPLIMENTARY bottle of champagne plus a six pack of beer.
When the river mouth is closed off during the summer, the wildlife changes with it. While the spring provides chances to see seals, wild turkeys, and even whales: the summer provides views of pelicans, river otter, and occasionally seals. The best part about the river closure is packing a lunch, driving the 1 miles drive to the river campground outside of town, and floating around the elongated lake of a river all day long.
The hostess is great, and will flex the check-in time to the best of her abilities ( I saw people checking in 4 hours early when we were leaving). We used the whirlpool tub every night, and my wife even used it in the daytime as well. If you want some just plain food and not "fine dining" there are some excellent places to go. Our favorites were the UpperCrust Pizzeria and the Food Co. One last thing, the reviewer from antioch used the term "Hold your Jackson". I'd like to clarify that this term is not a vulgar term by any means, rather it is merely an exclamation used by us in the east bay to convey to others that they should calm down or hold their horses.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2005

Bottom line--gorgeous views.
Not fancy, but decent.
No phones in rooms, but small tvs in rooms--frankly we were entertained mostly by the ocean. People don't come to a town like this for anything but what nature provides.
Cell phone service limited to Verizon.
If you need someone to reach you about an emergency while you're staying there, the person can use their 1800 number, and the innkeeper on duty can contact you in your room. I thought this was important to know, and they don't really let you know until you get there.
Town is tiny, sweet, quiet, and peaceful.
Great place as a stopover, like a one-night stay.
Pretty good value considering other choices.
Close to sea ranch, but more resources like convenience stores and gas, etc. than sea ranch offers.
Although the 2nd floor rooms are probably better for privacy, the first floor is certainly wonderful too.
Enjoy the jetted large bathtub and the views of the seals in the ocean!

I'd probably stay there again, just for the peace and quiet, the sounds of the waves, and the views, but I'd want to go when I don't have to pay the premium rates that I did.

By the way, the Top of the Cliff restaurant (recommended by the front desk) is closeby (a quick walk) and decent, but I'd look around for another restaurant that's a better value. The bar area made the restaurant noisy. Entree/dinners about $30. I ordered the seafood bake and it was a little fishy--

Come for the views, and don't expect extravagance.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank BayArean
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 12 June 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Staff was friendly, helpful, available. Everything was very clean. My second floor room had a beautiful view of a beach/sand bar. It's difficult for people to access, which I consider a plus, since I prefer gazing at the birds, sand & surf rather than dogwalkers/frisbee throwers. I spent much time in one of the swivel-chairs, feet propped on the windowsill, just reading, watching the sun set, and eventually the stars came out. One window opens toward the ocean, letting in the sound of waves all night. Yum! I never heard any road noise. There's a fair amount of shops nearby (walking distance) including art galleries, book store, coffee house, grocery store, restaurants. Negative: no phone in room, and only Verizon coverage for cell phones, so I had to use a payphone by the lobby. Regardless, I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Antioch, CA
Reviewed 26 April 2005

Hold your jackson, this place was great! We stayed here during the end of March 2005 for our anniversary and had a fantastic time. Waking up every morning to the sun coming up over the ocean and listening to the waves crash as we fell asleep was such an amazing experience. Each room had it's own pair of binoculars for viewing the ocean, (or the people walking on the beach). The ocean was so close you felt like you were camping out on the sand. Every day when your room was cleaned a free bottle of champagne was put in your mini-fridge which was very sweet. I enjoyed using the spa/bathtub with it's massaging jets, IT WAS HUGE! We also liked hanging out on our deck to look out at the ocean, we cooked bacon on our deck with a little camping stove we brought. All in all I can't wait to go back again! It was beautiful, relaxing, and for such a super price you felt like you were at a really expensive retreat!

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
Gualala Country Inn
Gualala Country Inn
#5 of 7 in Gualala
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea

Been to Seacliff Motel on the Bluff? Share your experiences!