“Fall asleep to the sound of the ocean!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gualala
Seacliff Motel on the Bluff
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Gualala
Reviewed 21 December 2009

SeaCliff Hotel, Gualala Review
December, 2009

The Seacliff Hotel is located on a bluff, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The Gualala River runs directly in front of the hotel. The sweeping vista from your hotel room of the ocean, with the sights and sounds of waves breaking on the beach, is the best aspect of this hotel and makes it well worth the price.

The hotel is relatively low key. Reception is staffed from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM. There are no telephones in the rooms, and cell-phone service is sporadic at best, but a pay telephone is available by the reception area.

This is actually nice, since you really get a feeling of being disconnected from everyday life and having a chance to relax. New this year is a pay-for-use wireless internet connection service (I didn’t bother with it). Digital TV service was also being installed when I stayed, but was not yet available in my room.

Each room has a gas fireplace and a nice deep Jacuzzi tub for two. Bubble bath is provided, and a complimentary bottle of champagne or sparkling cider is provided. The rooms are simply, but comfortably, furnished. Robes and binoculars are provided for lounging and whale watching.

The owners have continued to invest in upgrades to the facilities, with renovations to the balconies, and installation of double-paned windows. New carpet was also in my room. The mattress in my room had been upgraded since my last visit, and was much softer and more comfortable than previous visits.

There is no room service at the hotel, but there are a variety of restaurants nearby, all within walking distance. However, this area has been hard hit by the recession and a couple of restaurants had gone out of business. There is a good local grocery store. The room has a small microwave oven, and a small fridge.

If you’re looking for a quiet, romantic, restful place to get away, enjoy the sights and sounds of the ocean and relax with a glass of wine and a book by the fire I would highly recommend this hotel. Check the website for off season specials, and mention the internet special when you book.

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank Smokeyham

Reviewed 5 December 2009

We went up to Gualala last minute to surprise our family who was camping up there. I tried going to Mar Vista Cottages and I was told they had rooms available but the owner did everything he could to talk me out of staying there "they won't like it here, we don't have tv or radio" referring to the two teenagers with me. He actually said as I left "I'm really struggling about taking your money". At $255 I decided to leave since I knew we weren't wanted. Went into town where there was plenty of space available and got this gorgeous ocean view room with fireplace and jacuzzi tub for around $160 per night, top floor with high ceilings. Front desk was helpful, there was a bottle of champagne for me and she gave the kids sparking cider which they were really excited about. It is a one bedroom but the bed is so big it can hold three of us. When our family came to visit before the holiday parade, the kids were making too much noise, and they kindly confronted us without making a huge issue out of it. Trinks is walking distance and had a great little country breakfast. I would go again however I'd leave the kids at home.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank tvlrgirl
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Drove from the Bay Area for our anniversary up the coast. Liked what we saw on Tripadvisor for this motel, and it was just as described. We reserved an upper room and enjoyed the high vaulted ceilings made of knotty pine. It may cost a bit more, but I'd recommend the second floor rooms, just for the more spacious ambiance.
Every room has a perfect view of the river and ocean. There is a small private outside balcony and each window has drop shades for your choice of sun and view or "sleep-in" darkness.
The room was clean and the bed was as comfortable as you'll ever find, with nice linens and a beautiful comforter. Terry robes are provided, but they could use some hooks in the bathroom to hang them as you won't want to ignore the very large two person spa.
They will provide a bottle of champagne in the fridge on request, (or you can bring your own) and there is also a small microwave on the counter.
Even though the bathroom is large with a separate toilet room and shower, the long counter gets smaller after they provided the coffee maker and microwave.
They are in the works to provide flat screen TVs in each room, and so far have completed four rooms. The cable selection is vast, but you may not need it with all there is to do in the fresh out doors.
The two recliners in front of the window can be turned around to face the sea for unlimited relaxation (commercial free). who needs a TV?
Of note, there are no phones in the rooms, and cell phones have poor signals out here, if any.
They have a pay phone at the ice machine. The inn keeper closes at 9:00 PM, but you can call for assistance 24 hours on the phone and someone will be there if needed.
We tried to have dinner upstairs at the "Top 'O the Cliff" just a short walk from the motel, but they were only serving drinks at the bar that evening, (a Wednesday.) They suggested to try the Redwood Grill up the highway in Anchor Bay. An excellent choice!
Fantastic food, reasonable prices and a good wine list. We would go here regularly if only they were closer to home. But we plan to do this all over again just as soon as we can.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank h2obb
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We took the long way to wine country from San Francisco for our Honeymoon. After a gorgeous drive up the coast we found our way to this hotel. We had reserved in advance, which was lucky since all the places we past seemed to have no vacancy signs up. The rooms were lovely and it was nice that the balconies were on the side rather than front of the room. We watched the sunset in pure silence - you wouldn't have thought anyone else was in town! The room was spacious, but the pillows both my husband & I found really hard and so didn't sleep that well. The only real complaint is that the rooms don't have a phone. Ordinarily this wouldn't be something I'd note, except that there is not really cell service in Gualala. While we were checking in people from two rooms came to ask to use the front desk phone to make dinner plans. There is only one pay phone outside near the front office if you needed to make a call other than to a restaurant that the staff will do for you. Still, we really enjoyed our visit and found the room to be above average in cleanliness.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Seacliff on the Bluff is a smaller hotel located on a ocean-side bluff. The room had a gas fireplace and two person jacuzzi. I thought that the matching recliners set right in front of the large ocean-side windows was a great touch. But, the best feature was the private balcony overlooking the beach. Because the balcony is set into a corner of the room rather than located on the front, it gives great privacy and both side and front views. We really enjoyed just sitting there and enjoying the wonderful weather and great view. The room was very clean and well equipped. The front desk personnel were friendly and informative. Overall, a memorable two day stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William D
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Our stay at this incredibly reasonable hotel on the ocean was far too short at just one night. The amenities were far greater than we expected for the bargain price of $100, and everything was clean and modern. A very spacious "contemporary" room with king bed, dressing area, and separate room for shower and toilet, plus a gas fireplace and a complimentary bottle of champagne were more than enough to impress us. And then we saw the unobstructed view of the ocean! What a find!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BGElisabeth
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My wife and I just returned from our first visit to Gualala. Because of the reviews on this site I chose Seacliff on the Bluff for our two-night stay. We recieved outstanding service from the time we arrived until our departure. Every employee we encountered went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. All of the rooms have tremendous views of the Gualala River and the Pacific and we enjoyed the views from both our private balcony and the large picture windows. The rooms are spacious, bright and exceptionally clean. The complimentary champagne and the bubble bath in the in-room jacuzzi tub were a hoot. I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to plan ahead regarding dinner plans if you're in Gualala on a Monday. A couple of eating establishments have recently closed their doors and most of the others (including two pizza places) that are in town or in close proximity are closed on Mondays. Regardless, we will back to this awesome hotel...soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OldNorCalGuy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
Gualala Country Inn
Gualala Country Inn
#5 of 7 in Gualala
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea

Been to Seacliff Motel on the Bluff? Share your experiences!