“What a relief!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Willits, California
“What a relief!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Driving on Hwy 1, I Was very tired when I pulled into the Surf Motel in Gualala at 8:00 p.m.. I was met with a friendly smile from the owner. I got a room with an ocean view for a great price and slept very well. No Hwy noise at all! The FULL breakfast was great and the whole experience reminded me that I don't need to stay in a name brand motel to get great quality at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a view of the ocean. Wow!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
I remember you, so kind of you to write this down for others. Hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cordes Lakes, Arizona
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The wife and I were on a 2 week motorcycle trip from Arizona and we had gone up through Nevada and then up to the California and Oregon border. We were heading down the coast and it was getting dark and a little foggy. As we were driving into Gualala my wife saw the Surf Motel and I turned around and went back to get a room for the night. After checking in and unloading the bags from our bike we opened the door to our room and were completely amazed. The room was absolutely gorgeous. The next morning I went out to check on the bike and the views were amazing. I met and older gentleman who asked how I liked our room and he informed me that his granddaughter and her husband were the managers. I couldn't believe that we were right on the ocean. The breakfast that they served in the morning for their guests was over the top. We are already planning on going back next year and bringing some friends with us. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone. Two thumbs up!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Azriders
Sunol, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed just one night, but wish we could have stayed longer. We definitely would return to Surf Inn!
Heather at the desk is so very amiable and helpful. Her husband Mike makes a wonderful full breakfast each morning. Our room was exceptionally clean (kudos to the housekeepers!) and comfortable. Not to mention hearing the waves of the ocean to sleep by - what more could one ask for?! I also really appreciated the little touches of decorating the exterior that the owner has done. GREAT job by a GREAT team!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lori N
Madera, California, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We spent two nights there. The management team Mike and Heather made us feel very comfortably and relaxed. The room was just great large,roomy and comfortable. Also it was nice and quiet. We will diffently be back. It is pet friendly, plus the ocean view is great. Once again thanks Mike and Heather, already planning our next trip up there.

Room Tip: Any room is good
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol R
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I wanted to go to the ocean for me and my girlfriends anniversary so I booked the hotel at first I wasn't pleased but you can't judge a book by its cover. It was so nice and clean the people were friendly and the bed was soft in the morning the breakfast was to die for I reccomend this hotel

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank noel707
Decatur
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The Surf Inn is located in the heart of Gualaia, CA off Hwy 1. There is no access to the beach but the motel offer a wonderful view overlooking the ocean. In the evening you can sit around an open fire and enjoy sun site. Our room was small but clean; with a refrigerator and microwave. The room wasn't air conditioned but that was not a problem during our stay. The morning breakfast was excellent with homemade scones and other items. The owner, of the motel, is very personable and helpful. He answered all of our questions and provided a wealth of information about the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tishcitric
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Surf Motel is on a beautiful piece of land, looking out over the ocean. Those staying in the rooms on the end (I think 117, 118, 119... maybe 120?) have a great view. From what I could tell, none of the other rooms had a view of much more than the hotel next door.

The motel is probably 60 years old, with small rooms. Ours had a double bed, armoir with mini-fridge, and a couple chairs looking out the window. There was also a TV with DVD player. Humorously, there was a DVD of a burning fire for those who wanted a more romantic environment... to go with the electric heater with fake logs.

The included breakfast was pretty standard: scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, yogurt, cold cereal.

To be sure, the room was clean and comfortable. But if the Surf Motel were anywhere other than on the Pacific Coast, it wouldn't be considered anything special.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea
Gualala Country Inn
Gualala Country Inn
#5 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!