“Quaint little spot for visiting Gualala”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #2 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
“Quaint little spot for visiting Gualala”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I've been visiting Gualala regularly for 30 years or so - It's a small, relaxed, beautiful area. The Surf is a local icon and a nice place to lay your head while not exploring. Close proximity to Mendico, Point Arena, and plenty of other attractions.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nick T
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words and yes we have been around, we just added two new decks and a fire pit that over looks the Pacific Ocean. Hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay! My fiancé and I were in town for only 1 night to check out the Mendocino/Gualala area. The price was extremely reasonable for everything we got out of it. We had a room on the far side from the ocean, and still felt right on the water. We could hear the water at night, and walk to the little trails above the ocean. There is no easy access to the water. There were little seating areas with ocean view, and signs for trails to follow. (walking, not hiking ). The rooms are small, but very clean and quaint. The building is dated, but they have done and are continuing to do, remodeling. The service was outstanding. When we asked for an extra blanket for our 70lb dog, they gave us one of their own. They have a hot, home cooked breakfast included in the morning. Orange juice, eggs, biscuits, pastries, coffee, sausage, gravy and even made everyone waffles. Friendly and knowledgeable of the area. The area itself is very remote, and we still felt that at the hotel. However, we had everything we needed across the street - grocery, video, roadhouse, etc. We were not expecting such a lovely little place for the price, not to mention pet friendly, breakfast included and great location as advertised! Thanks to the Surf Motel, we will be back the first chance we get!

Room Tip: There are ocean view rooms available. Unless you want the kitchenette, I wouldn't pay extra for...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
You have made my day, so many kind words. We are always open to your pets and love to provide for them a walking path with dogie bags. Our staff stands ready to help with all special request and the easy one too. Thanks again.
Northern California
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife & I stayed one night 4 January 2014.
We opted for one of the queen bed rooms with a full view of the ocean.

The room was clean and tidy but a tad small. There is a small room heater that did an amazing job of warming the room. The bathroom/shower/tub is of adequate size but in need of updating – still has a straight, rather than curved, shower curtain rod. The in ceiling exhaust fan did not work, but there is a window for ventilation and more views of the ocean. The Wifi worked and was fairly speedy.

My only real complaint was the queen bed. Although a standard queen size, the bed was topped by some type of ‘pillow top’ that might have been designed for a double bed. The effect was the edges of the bed were rounded off – essential making the bed about a foot more narrow in width, as one could not rest near the rounded edges.

The highlight of the Surf Motel is the breakfast. This buffet exceeded our expectations. In addition to waffles on request – made with a special batter, there were scrambled eggs, sausages, and sausage gravy for biscuits. Oatmeal and a dry cereal and a selection of baked sweets – perhaps baked on premises – bread and yogurt?

I can confirm the Surf Motel’s claim to “Your best travel dollar value on the North Coast.”

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LostLen
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Great comments, we have reconfigured that room and added new chairs with a side table. Value and Service is the corner stone of all that we do. Starting in May 1, 2014 we will start a High Tea with Wine. Come back for a Glass.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed one night in this motel, and the views over the sea were beautiful. The room was small, but clean and had everything you need. Main thing to stop it from getting 5*s was the breakfast. It was served in quite a small room and was a little too communal for my OCD.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine2311
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Home run on the remarks, we added more seating outside and more view options while eating breakfast. Thank so much.
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

What a great motel! We happened upon this spot while on route from Chilliwack B.C. to Santa Cruz California. We had stopped elsewhere to find a room on the beach that would be acceptable of our dog spending the night as well. There were five other couples with their dogs as well. The other motels in town wouldn't allow dogs so.... The room was great, the breakfast in the morning was a nice touch and falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing was perfect. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They accept dogs- and have a nice dog walking area.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
How can we say, Thank you for taking a chance, while we are not that "Branded cookie cuter inn we try to keep up with all that they do. We have just added Kureg coffee makers to all guest rooms and will start serving a High Tea with Complimentary wine and crackers.
Willits, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Driving on Hwy 1, I Was very tired when I pulled into the Surf Motel in Gualala at 8:00 p.m.. I was met with a friendly smile from the owner. I got a room with an ocean view for a great price and slept very well. No Hwy noise at all! The FULL breakfast was great and the whole experience reminded me that I don't need to stay in a name brand motel to get great quality at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a view of the ocean. Wow!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
I remember you, so kind of you to write this down for others. Hope to see you soon.
Cordes Lakes, Arizona
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The wife and I were on a 2 week motorcycle trip from Arizona and we had gone up through Nevada and then up to the California and Oregon border. We were heading down the coast and it was getting dark and a little foggy. As we were driving into Gualala my wife saw the Surf Motel and I turned around and went back to get a room for the night. After checking in and unloading the bags from our bike we opened the door to our room and were completely amazed. The room was absolutely gorgeous. The next morning I went out to check on the bike and the views were amazing. I met and older gentleman who asked how I liked our room and he informed me that his granddaughter and her husband were the managers. I couldn't believe that we were right on the ocean. The breakfast that they served in the morning for their guests was over the top. We are already planning on going back next year and bringing some friends with us. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone. Two thumbs up!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Azriders
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!