“Perfect 10th anniversary dinner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Orres

St. Orres
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Gualala
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
California
“Perfect 10th anniversary dinner!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

When we decided to celebrate our 10th anniversary with a long weekend at Sea Ranch, my one concern was whether we could find a suitable restaurant for our special dinner. Friends and family said St. Orres was a terrific option, and, boy, were they right! While it's not a formal restaurant (feel free to come in jeans), it has a very special feel. The room is gorgeous, and feels unique and cozy. For some reason, I found myself thinking of Middle Earth and hobbits...not that it was small (far from it...it soars!), but the wood and warmth was very nice. The food was delicious. Every entree is a flat price ($40-50) but that includes a hot or cold soup, salad, and your entree. Not ridiculous for what you get. My husband had fabulous scallops, and my lobster and prawns was equally wonderful. We also had a yummy small plate of stilton in phyllo (you could make a meal off the small plates). Dessert was terrific too...huckleberry bread pudding and ginger cake.

We liked it so much, and since there aren't a lot of other restaurants around (we couldn't find any others within a 10 mile drive that didn't get very mixed reviews), we returned the next night. I loved my vegetable strudel but my husband said his salmon was rather bland and dry. So, perhaps stay away from the salmon (although I assume they change preparations...his was just sauteed with vegetables). Also, while service was terrific on our first night, on our second night our waitress was not quite up to snuff...we had to pour and refill our own wine, etc. (although the young lady who was refilling water, clearing plates, etc was certainly on her job). Other than that, a big thumbs up for St. Orres...we heartily recommend for your next special occasion or just a good meal.

• Visited August 2013

San Jose, California
“Poor service, mediocre food, not worth it.”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

After hearing great things about St. Orr’s, my husband & I thought we would give it a try. But we were disappointed with both the service and the food. Certainly not what we expect when choosing to dine at an upscale restaurant.

We arrived early one weeknight evening without a reservation. I told the greeter we would wait in the bar if no tables were yet available. After serious consideration, she led us into the beautiful dining room and sat us at a small 2-top in one corner of the room. Then she told us she would be our server, explained the menu and left to check her other tables.

The busboy promptly brought us pesto bread and water. Thank goodness, because that is all we had to nibble on for over 15 minutes. The restaurant is small and the tables were about 2/3 full. In addition to the busboy there appeared to be 3 servers working that evening, but not very well together. We had to flag the busboy to get our water glasses refilled.

When our server finally reappeared at our table, she offered no apologies or explanations. She did not smile once that evening and did not appear to be enjoying her job. We had wanted to order cocktails, but fearing another long wait decided to get a bottle of wine instead. We ordered off the prix fixe menu.

After several more minutes, our server returned with the zinfandel. While she was opening the bottle, another server appeared with our first course, the soup. It would have been nice to let the wine breathe a bit and enjoy a few sips before beginning our meal. We settled for eating our soup while sipping water. The soup was chilled nectarine and delicious, one of the best parts of the evening.

The tables filled up. Another long wait and then our server brought the featured seasonal salad. This consisted of a tablespoon of pesto sauce, a small sliced yellow tomato (bland), two halved cherry tomatoes (tasty), and a few small balls of mozzarella (generic). Underwhelming to say the least.

Then another very long wait. We again asked the busboy for water. A man seated at the table next to ours asked the busboy to get the glass of wine he had ordered a while ago but not yet been served. I watched an elderly couple across the restaurant waive their bill in the air to get their server to process their payment. Finally our entrees arrived, served by the busboy.

My husband’s wild mushroom ravioli was smothered in so much cream sauce, he could not taste the mushrooms. My mushroom & truffle stuffed pheasant was dry and the mushroom risotto side tasted like dirt. I couldn’t eat it. My husband tried the risotto and agreed it was inedible. At least my steamed veggies were OK. Our server did not appear to see if we liked our entrées until we were more than half finished with the parts we could eat.

Trying to salvage the evening, we took a chance and ordered a dessert to share. The Jack Daniels whiskey ice cream was delicious.

I am awarding St. Orr’s one star for the soup and dessert, but zero stars for the salad, entrees and especially the indifferent service. Our meal with wine cost us $200. If you are looking for good food and an enjoyable dining experience, save your money and dine elsewhere.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank CA_wanderer60
San Antonio, Texas
“very special”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a memorable place. Start with the architecture and history. Then consider that they have excellent food with lots of ambiance, tended to by an attentive and friendly staff, and the result is a special treat. The restaurant staff appeared to easily accommodate a group of 15 and everyone enjoyed their meal. They also have rooms that are worth checking out.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank mikee47
Gualala, California
“Fine Dining in Gualala”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Great restaurant. Food consistently excellent. They have 3 menus--bar menu, small plates and regular menu. They have been open continuously for about 40 years. I am local and have eaten there countless times. They have a full bar. Ambiance and service excellent. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
Gualala, California
“Special occasion restaurant”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Food is sensational....service and presentation superb....atmosphere is rustic, chic with lots of wood and stone and hanging ivy...wine list is pricey as are the cocktails....Sunday brunch is the best deal.

Visited May 2013