“Would stay again, but needs some updating”

Gualala Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The location was great. The owner was very friendly and was very helpful with giving directions and telling us about the area. There was a continental breakfast which was nice to see as many places don't offer this anymore. The decor is what made it charming, however, the rooms do need some renovating, there was what looked like black mold in the bathroom at the base of the bathtub. The baseboards and carpet could be replaced. With a few small updates, it would be the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gualala Country Inn

Reviewed 5 April 2013

the rooms were very clean.my wife & I had a nice time talking with linda the owner.we learned alot about the town & the name of the town...thank you linda,we had a great time!the horizon room is the best.we had a great view ocean.at night the sound of waves put us to sleep and woke us up in the morning.....beautiful.....beautiful,is all I can say!! we love you linda....God bless you!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 31 March 2013

7 family members stayed here Thurs and Fri nights right during Spring Break. The rooms were clean, decorated in pleasing colors, and they welcomed our dogs. We had two rooms. Breakfast was great--hardboiled eggs, yogurt, croisants, bagels, bread for toast, juice, coffee and hot water for tea--all set up for us to serve ourselves. Oh, yes, and there was fresh fruit, too. The owner welcomed us and allowed us to play cards in the living room, which was so nice, as it was raining and cold, so evening at the beach was not what we wanted to do. My son thought the price was very reasonable. The atmosphere was welcoming and friendly--including the rhodedendrons blooming outside the rooms. Plenty of parking, and space to walk our dogs. Store was a 3 minute walk, so we could get dinner and lunch supplies.Very very nice experience for us. We were in rooms 101 and 201.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jackieirene
Mike B, Owner at Gualala Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I remember your family well. It is always a pleasure when family’s use the lobby/parlor/breakfast room to play games. Games around the table seem to be a lost art and it was great to see three generations of family still enjoying playing table games together.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Loved our stay at the Gualala Country Inn and we'll be back! This is a great place to get away and relax. We enjoyed spending time in our room watching the beautiful ocean. In the morning they serve nice spread of breakfast items in the lobby (this was really helpful when traveling with a family) . The staff was really helpful and very accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I had room 101; 2 queen beds and corner gas fireplace. Window faced the highway and ocean beyond. It was musty, WAY outdated, corny decor (think 1980's crafty themes) and worn out carpet. Bathroom had toddler sized toilet, 1 sink in stained fiberglass and toilet paper that felt like sand. I sneezed often because of smell. I realize this is out of the city but in my opinion, it missed all the basic comforts. Lobby was full of yard sale nick knacks covering the floor. This is California; we should get a decent cup of coffee. Nope, for "breakfast" the offering was COSTCO muffins, lousy carafe coffee with powdered creamer, oranges and apples with the sticker still on it. All this for just $150.00 a night!!

Room Tip: Ask for 2 sinks, a regular size toilet, and the most updated room they have.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yeloroses
Mike B, Owner at Gualala Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

First I want to express my concerns that you had an unpleasant experience while at our Inn, I wish I had been told this, while you were here. We would have tried to resolve things at that time. Your review has caught me by surprise, because almost everything you found as bad, others tell me is a plus. I will take to heart your comment about the children’s corner as “yard sale nic nacs”, and change it.
We advertise a Continental Breakfast, we do not advertise hot cooked. There are pictures of it, online, and with most online booking companies. The breakfast is even more extensive than our pictures show. Muffins, bagels & cream cheese, croissants, boiled eggs, yogurt, instant oatmeal, whole grain & gluten free breads, three types of fresh fruits, juice and a choice of 15 plus Stash Teas. Coffee & hot water in thermal Airpots is an industry standard. We always have three choices of creamers, individual serve liquid half & half or French vanilla & yes, a powdered creamer also. Your dislike of “Costco”, products has me puzzled. Others love and compliment it, saying it was the best they have had on their trip.
Our toilets are standard height; however, we are in the process of upgrading all of them to elongated, handicap height toilets. Our rooms are individually decorated with some antiques. We do not have cold, modern, cookie cutter rooms.
When you book rooms on line; lodging properties pay 10% to 20% booking fees to online booking companies. Our control of what rate structure they choose to show or charge you is minimal. Your reservation was an online booking by the price you indicate you paid. Booking in person, or over the phone, we can describe what you are getting and adjust rates, depending on seasons and availability. With that said, if I had been informed the room odor was unpleasant or not clean, I would have moved you immediately. We strive to keep our rooms clean, fresh, well maintained & ventilated; normally we are very successful at this. I am sorry we failed to fulfill your expectations. Your review has made me aware, I have to be even more vigilant in making sure we do not disappoint others.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

The Gualala Country Inn gives a great first impression. A charming yellow and white old style house across the street from the Pacific Ocean. It looks like it's going to be something special. When in fact, it's just ordinary. The rooms are pretty standard hotel fare, with an attempt at charm. The corner gas fireplace is a nice touch,, and the bedroom is large, , but the carpets are worn and dirty looking (although probably not dirty...just looks that way). Once inside the room, you could easily be in a standard motel room.

A decent continental breakfast comes with the stay. Standard fare again....in a lobby that once again could be charming, but just feels worn.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the rooms with a view. Otherwise, your stay inside the room could border on the de...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank catinari
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Quite a classy place. The view, free wifi, awesome breakfast, and even local tourist info was absolutely charming. If I ever pass through Gualala again, this place is absolutely my choice again. Plus, it was less expensive than I thought it would be. Very budget-friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank cellobarney1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea
North Coast Country Inn
North Coast Country Inn
#3 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Gualala Country Inn? Share your experiences!