Applewood Inn
Cottages on River Road(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$149
The Woods Resort at the Russian River(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$158
Santa Nella House Bed and Breakfast(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$241
West Sonoma Inn & Spa(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$181
Sonoma Orchid Inn(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$179
Agoda.com
Guerneville Lodge(Guerneville)
US$250
Hotwire.com
Fern Grove Cottages(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$286
Johnson's Beach - Cabins and Campground(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$151
Official Site
All reviewswine countryrussian riverwine tastingprivate patiogrounds are gorgeousprivate hot tubsonoma countywonderful restauranthalibutcozy roomcomplimentary breakfastmain buildingcouples massageromantic weekendnew ownerswe've stayedsan francisco
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I'd been wanting to stay at Applewood for some years, and finally had an opportunity to do so. We were not disappointed, and are looking forward to a return visit. We love getting away to a place in nature, elegant yet "rustic", with all the amenities but none of the glitz of a brand-name hotel. Applewood has charm and character, and with it's adult policy, allows for real relaxation and time away. The included breakfast is a real, home-cooked one, and just delicious! Should you decide to eat at their restaurant, which I'd strongly encourage, you won't be sorry! We had the 5 course tasting menu, and although I am a vegetarian, and had a vegetable platter (you vegans, vegetarians etc. know this can often mean BORING!), it was the most interesting and deliciously creative contrast of flavors I've ever had in a vegetable platter~ just outstanding! The entire meal was creative, unhurried (we stayed nearly 4 hours!), and just as yummy as can be.

Room Tip: If you can, spend an extra $50 to upgrade to a beautiful room from a cozy room. (If this rate is available) The fireplace and jacuzzi tub, as well as the slightly larger room is worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My 2nd time at applewood . The place, service, location and accommodations are TOP NOTCH. Their breakfasts are deliciously sufisticated. Restaurant service also impressive. Will return yet again. Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were a party of 6 doing a special Birthday Wine Tour through Sonoma and Mendicino and stayed at Applewood for just one glorious night in rooms 17, 18 and 19 which is its own private space. There is an entry door with room 17 just to the left and then stairs up to rooms 18 and 19. Great place for our family and we all wished we could stay for many more nights.
We were met by one of the staff with champagne and a lovely wood burning fireplace and a coffee bar as well. EVERY staff member was welcoming and personal and we felt as if we were in someone's home.
After the yummy breakfast served by Luis we checked out to continue down the Wine Road. Luckily, we were able to meet Carlos Pippa the owner as we were checking out. He is without question one of the most dignified and gracious hosts I've met in my travels. After meeting him, I understood why there is this great familial feeling everywhere on the premises. I can imagine everyone must love working with him and that feeling is passed on through the service.
What a special experience---The Applewood Inn was the highlight of our vacation!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We arrived on Tuesday night in November. The weather was great, somewhere in 70s and 80's. What can be better? Randy met us at the Inn when we arrived and gave us a glass of wine and Champagne to let us to relax after 4 hour drive...After, she showed us the room which was lovely and very clean! Then we set by the real fireplace at the foyer waiting our massage therapists to take us to the Spa. What a treat for my birthday? After massage, we decided to sit in Jacuzzi...The next day we walked into the city, just 10 minutes walk...and then traveled to sample wines...I would recommend to stay in this Inn if you celebrate any special occasions, anniversaries, or just to relax. Dinner? Go eat at their Applewood restaurant! Also, visit Bodega Bay for barbecued oysters!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I'm being generous giving 3 stars only because the restaurant food and service was outstanding for dinner.
Calling a room a Jr. Suite when there is no stand up shower, just a jacuzzi tub with a nozzle is stretching the truth. Some people may like memory foam mattresses, we didn't care for it. The room however was spotless. We had a couples massage booked and only 1 therapist showed for the appointment. We were told the issue would be discussed and they would "figure something out". The inn felt crediting us $25 was ample compensation. I think not and express that plain and simple. My time is worth far more not to mention a relaxing annivesary celebration experience was completely missed.

This was our second visit to the restaurant and it was simply fabulous for food, service and wine pairing. Really a special spot!

In the morning we arrived for coffee at 7:30 and it was still not available by 7:45...at an inn! Then the poor breakfast waiter. He worked incredibly hard but with only 1 person in the restaurant working and no help it took ages for him to even pay our table a visit. When we mentioned this we were told they are understaffed at the moment. Hiking in Armstrong Redwoods is a beautiful start to the day and there are many wonderful wineries in the area. Go for those experiences and consider if staying at this inn is worth the price considering there are so many others to chose from.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a very large heating or cooling unit that runs very loud. There is no stand up shower.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank appreciatefinetravel
Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed our restaurant and that part of your experience was positive but I'm very sorry that your stay at Applewood, to commemorate such an special occasion, was a disappointment. I'm specially sorry about the failure of our contract therapists to make the appointment for your massage. It is a very unusual occurrence but never the less it spoiled your stay. The massage given to your husband was done at no charge.
About the Jacuzzi, Roman Tub for two featured in your room, it comes with a hand held shower and is the preference of many guest that find it romantic and ideal for a sensual leisurely bath. There is a picture and description of the tub in our website. I have often found Roman tubs in my trips though out Europe and Specially Italy and it never had a negative connotation about the room nor the hotel.
The king size "Cloud" Tempur-Pedic mattress you slept on is a very popular luxury mattress in the US. Innumerable times our guests requested information about the mattress because they wanted to buy it for their home.
Breakfast is a very special event at Applewood and the many great reviews we get on this venue attest to the care that we put into it. A two course breakfast with free mimosas and espresso drinks is served and alternatives are always available. Two servers are always present with very few exceptions. I'm sorry once more that we failed to satisfy you.
Team Applewood and I wish you wonderful travels.