“Pleasant stay in Russian River Area”
Review of Highlands Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guerneville
Highlands Resort
Ranked #10 of 13 Guerneville B&B and Inns
Medford, New Jersey
“Pleasant stay in Russian River Area”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Pleasant stay in Guerneville. I traveled alone and stayed in the Garden unit with views of a well manicured garden and swimming pool. My room was equipped with an adequate small fridge/freezer and microwave in a sitting room adjacent to the bedroom fiited with a gas fireplace....perfect for the cool evenings and mornings. The managers were pleasant and non-obtrusive and were very helpful and attentative. Continental breakfast features home made granola and on weekends homemade muffins/dessert breads. There are also charming cottage available for rental, and hot tub on premises ensures relaxation. The complex is secluded, yet only a short walk down the hill to downtown Guerneville.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My boyfriend and I spent three nights here and it was a great experience. Extremely friendly staff, clean room, charming location, etc. I would highly recommend. However, one caveat for those not used to small towns--restaurants here close around 9pm during a weeknight, so plan accordingly!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cthardin
Modesto, California
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I found this hotel through a travel guide, and I was very pleased with the room and the friendliness of the management. Since we were "walk ins" with out a reservation. I was so pleased we chose the pool view suite. Really two bedrooms, with a porch overlooking the grass and the pool area. Very nicely appointed but basic rooms with ceiling fans and gas fireplace. Mini fridge, coffee and micro wave were nice touches. Comfortable beds and rustic, but nice appointments. Clothing optional hot tub and pool. We liked it so much, booked second night there and short walk to restaurants and downtown.

Room Tip: They have a suite with a whirlpool jacuzzi but was already booked. I liked the pool suite if you wan...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelagent0123
CH
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I booked a stay at Highlands based on the glowing reviews on this site, and felt that I had to voice my experience for the sake of other customers that might have similar tastes as myself. I love nature and the outdoors, however when booking a hotel room I do expect a certain level of quality. The room we reserved was simply not up to any standards I would expect for $115 per night.

Shortly after checking in we returned to the front desk to inquire about the poor state we found the room in (mold in shower, rotting baseboards, rust in sink, holes in wall... etc.). I was informed that we had booked a room that had not been renovated and that this was reflected in the price we paid. The staff of the property tried to be very accommodating and even offered us a more expensive renovated room for the price we already paid. While this was very nice of them, the renovated room was not much better than the first they had given us. So we chose to leave the hotel and look for another property. They charged us for one full night citing the cancellation policy. I disagree that showing up and being unsatisfied with the quality of the product counts as a cancellation, but that is another story.

Overall, this property is beautifully nestled in the redwoods and a convenient walk from the center of town. However, if you are at all particular about the cleanliness and upkeep of your room I would suspect you would have been equally unhappy. Maybe I'm not the right target customer for the russian river, if this is really the best available quality at that price point. I ended up staying at a nice 4 star property for under $100 about 15 minutes away in Santa Rosa, and still found it very convenient to drive out to Guerneville for the restaurants, bars, and shops.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank peterjac
Highlandsgirl, Owner at Highlands Resort, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
Thank you for your feedback.

The cabin you booked was our Two Room Cabin. To answer some of your concerns, the rust stains in the sink are caused by galvanized plumbing, which we have since replaced. There is a bit of water damage to the baseboards next to the shower, but had any mention of cleanliness or mold been made at the time of your visit, we would have taken care of that immediately. Like all innkeepers, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms. This is one of our more popular cabins (primarily due to the price point) and over the 3 months preceding your stay, it was vacant a total of 17 nights.

Guests who return to the office shortly after their arrival; and who find our resort does not meet their expectations receive a full refund and our assistance in selecting a lodging property in the immediate area that suits them.

When a room has been used for several hours, the situation is different. In this situation, dissatisfaction was not expressed until several hours after arrival. They were not charged a cancellation penalty; they were charged a one night rate which included tax. At the time the reviewer seemed to think that this was fair to both parties.

As the reviewer states, we attempted to relocate the guest to a nicer room (king bed, gas fireplace, two person shower, wet bar, remodeled in 2006 – none of which the original cabin had) at no additional charge.

We also offered to call around to the lodging properties nearby (there are 10 within ¼ mile) to find accommodation that would suit, but our offer was rejected and the reviewer expressed interest in traveling to Santa Rosa (18 miles away). At that point it seemed clear that not only did our resort not suit, but that Guerneville did not suit.

The little village of Guerneville is a bit like our rooms and cabins. Older, charming, eclectic and a bit funky. Prices are a bit higher in our area for both lodging and meals than along the freeway in Santa Rosa. Visitors from out of state should be aware that California is a more expensive destination than many others, but worth every penny!
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The best part is they are a very short walk to town, but buried in the woods! Feels like a true getaway. I stayed in cabin #3, which has 2 beds and 2 rooms, woodstove, and a great front deck. I had to change rooms the 2nd night, (#15) and moved to a small room, not a cabin, but very nice for the budget minded. It had a small koi pond just outside the window, which was nice to hear a night. Also a small front deck w/table & chairs. The pool area is just beautiful. Very nicely landscaped. Light breakfast is served. I can't think of a single complaint. Oh, and the most comfortable beds ever!

Room Tip: All cabins, #1-#10 are great. The higher the number, the quieter/away from parking lot. #15 &...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ManOnTheMove
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I first came to the Highlands in 1981, long before the current owners were in place. I have stayed in almost every cabin, but most often bring my tent and camp in the meadow. I appreciate many things about this resort: it's walking distance to town, it's a quiet, laid back resort (no blaring music, so noisy bar, etc.), it has a clothing optional pool & hot tub, it's in the middle of gorgeous redwoods, but MOST of all, I appreciate the love, care and improvements that the owners have put into the property over the last decade. It is vastly improved from when they took over. I come here to re-sharge my batteries in a calm, peaceful setting that's an easy drive from SF.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank sfbigcelt
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Beautiful, detached cabin with its own terrace with sunlounger and two patio chairs to sit at the table with umbrella. Cabins all set around redwood trees and feels so cool and calm in the scorching hot days that we were there. Stayed in Cabin No.7 which had an enormous (by our European standards) King-size bed that was very comfortable. Furthermore the cabin had a two-person bath tub in the room as well as a shower cubicle etc in the bathroom. The cabin also came appointed with a sink, microwave and various cookware which we didn't use but would have been helpful had we been staying longer. The communal areas in the main building were comfortable and Lynette (owner) was very helpful when I needed to contact our car-rental company to report a problem with the car. As described before the breakfast is simple but at least it included fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Our restaurant recommendations are: if you're there just one night give Boon a miss and instead try Chef Patrick, a French-American restaurant in the town. Although the place could do with some serious interior design advice and a lick of paint, the service and food were amazing. My partner had a huge steak and lobster tail dish and I had a fantastic pasta with asparagus. Also try Boon if you're there a second night as their food is good too.

We didn't use the pool but it looked clean and the terrace was spacious.

We had a day kayaking on the Russian River (launched from Healdsburg) which was fantastic fun.

Room Tip: Go for a King Cabin
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cyprusboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
Farmhouse Inn
#7 of 13 in Guerneville
Sonoma Orchid Inn
Sonoma Orchid Inn
#5 of 13 in Guerneville

Been to Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!