“Excellent service”

Cottages on River Road
Ranked #3 of 12 Guerneville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My experience at Cottages on River Road was splendid. Not only do they provide continental breakfast, you can roast marshmellows and make s'mores over the open fire pit among a sky full of stars. From folding the towels in an elegant fan design to tying the garbage into a bow instead of a knot, the attention to detail makes you feel important. Not to mention the massage here was one of the best I have had comparing world wide to the massage I've had at a SPA Resort from Shanghai to Palo Alto. I will definitely come back with my friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lan L

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Adorable, comfortable and well-managed. A lot of thought has gone into providing for the traveler's comfort. I love to warm my milk for morning coffee, provided in the cabin; voila! a microwave. The cabins have individual personalities with unique touches. Shower pressure was awesome. The massage room and masseuse truly provided an oasis of relaxation after driving. The cheerful, friendly staff handled our group of 15 with nearly-invisible but always- present service. The fireside s'mores provided an opportunity to meet other travelers and to do some star gazing. What a lovely signature touch. Go. Such a pleasant experience. I look forward to returning soon. Diane

Room Tip: Bedrooms facing the garden.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Diane640
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Clean, quiet, very friendly staff. Cabin was furnished like someone's upscale home - spacious, very comfortable and relaxing. Loved it. Would not hesitate to recommend it to someone else. All amenities worked wonderfully (wifi, tv) Couldn't believe it was not more expensive (after coming from San Francisco, seemed a bargain.) My husband and picked it to combine his need to put in a little work via computer with our wine tasting trip through Sonoma County.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anniooooo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I must start off the review by saying I work in a hotel and that makes me extra picky. With that being said, I enjoyed this place. The customer service was AMAZING. The massage was by far the best I have ever had!! We didn't have the breakfast, but I peeked and it was a decent spread (I am not a continental breakfast person). The cottages were charming and worth the price. Now comes the picky part...the bathroom products provided in the room could use a serious upgrade, I suggest bringing your own. The closet needs a light and the heater was either scorching hot or cold. Again, this is me scrutinizing the place...

Now if I was to review Guerneville on its own, I would give it 3 stars, maybe 2 1/2. The BF and I like to enjoy wine or drinks with dinner and the lack of transportation in this town is a reason we will likely not return. There are TWO cabs (not cab companies, CABS!!) in the town and I must really be a city girl cause waiting over a half an hour for a cab really killed my wine buzz. If you want to sit in room and relax or are incredibly patient...or have a sober driver, then this place and this town are for you...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debandmikesf
Reviewed 16 January 2012

After reading the reviews, I rented a garden studio but was upgraded to a River Road cottage (#12). The cottage was spacious, well decorated and clean. I expressed my concern about the road noise and was assured that because the bedroom was on the garden side of the cottage that it wouldn't be bad. Bad is all relative. There was plenty of muted road noise. Thanks goodness for ear plugs.

The staff was pleasant and I got my kitty fix after meeting Frank the cat. The River Road cottage doesn't get much morning sun so if you go in the winter months be assured that it will be very very cold and damp in the morning! We had a wall heater and it had one setting-on or off so that's what we kept doing-turning it off and on. Would have been nice to have a space heater in the bathroom as that never quite got warm enough. Did like the wet bar.

The location was close to everything. Had dinner at Chef Patrick's, shot pool at the Rainbow Cattle Co. and drove the few minutes back to the cottage the first night. Went to the coast for the day on Saturday and after check out on Sunday we hit Armstrong Woods before heading out of town.

If you are looking for a clean, basic place to stay, this is the place for you. If you want to stay in a quiet, warm, sunny place , go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not sure if any of the rooms are immune from the consistent road noise but if you want the most quie...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank koolforkats
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed at the Cottages at River Rd back in October for my ten year anniversary. The hotel was well kept, the rooms were very clean and had a great floor plan. The beds were comfortable and the televison provided a lot of cable channels (for those looking to stay in) as well as an extended VHS ( yes VHS!) collection for a romantic and cozy night in. They also have complimentary breakfast, which had the best cinnamon buns I ever tasted in my life and fresh apples all day long! Teddy at reception was awesome in providing tips for where to go an what to do in the town. He recommend the Korbel Champange tour , which hosted a free tasting and a lovely tour of the property. To top it all off the hotel hosted smore night (every night) which is a lovely way to unwind before calling it a night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2011

After spending a week in California, I decided to end my trip with a Russian River getaway after hearing how lovely it was. A friend had recommended the Cottages on River Road, saying I could count on the welcoming hospitality and that I’d have a great time. I must say the Cottages above and beyond met my expectations. DeeAnn and Ted at the front desk were not only friendly, they were helpful in offering suggestions for where to eat and adventures to embark on.

If you make your way to the Cottages during Halloween season, be sure to visit Dr. Evils House of Horrors which is nearby and truly a spectacle. But be warned, this is not your run of the mill Haunted House. Looking to unwind after this scare? Hit up the Cottages’ VHS collection! They have an eclectic variety of options on tape, including not one, but two copies of Air Bud! Their collection ranges from kid friendly to chick flick to some of the classics that are a must have.

In addition, while there are great wineries nearby, you can’t beat the wine coming to you! During my stay, the Cottages on River Road featured a wine tasting one afternoon which gave me the opportunity to enjoy a glass of wine while sitting by the pool. It was great to chat with the other guests staying at the hotel and hear about their adventures during their vacations. We all were able to agree on one thing, we were having a great time at the Cottages.

Every night I felt comfort in coming “home” to the Cottages’ nightly s’mores. It was such a treat to sit outside roasting marshmallows under the stars – you don’t realize just how enjoyable and calming it is until you experience it.

I don’t think there could have been a better ending to my vacation in California. I look forward to planning my next trip back to Guerneville and the Cottages on River Road in the near future!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
#10 of 12 in Guerneville
Rio Nido Lodge at the Russian River

Been to Cottages on River Road? Share your experiences!