“A favorite getaway”

West Sonoma Inn & Spa
Ranked #10 of 12 Guerneville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2008

This is my second visit to the Inn and I really love the peaceful setting it provides.

This time around we stayed in a suite with a private hot tub and deck. The hot tub worked great. It was very relaxing to sip on a glass of wine and watch the beautiful night sky.

The Inn is within walking distance of several restaurants and shops. I was able to park the car for the duration of our stay and stroll to our destinations.

The Inn's staff is very friendly and accommodating. The room is extremely comfortable and spacious.

I will definitely stay again for a quick weekend getaway from the busy city.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank NorCaly

Reviewed 26 September 2008

The rooms are nicely done....some with great views, very friendly and very clean. Within walking distance to downtown. mixed crowed, lesbians, gays and straight,,,,,,Checked out the gay resort "The Woods" right next door.Asides from being gay only, the place is overpriced, shabby looking, desperately in need of a total remodel...... defenitely a NO NO.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 6 July 2008

I just got back from a one night stay at West Sonoma Inn. Like many other reviewers here, I was overall happy with my stay.

The good: reasonably priced for what you get. Good location if you like being near town but not having to hear much noise. This would be a good place for a large family or group. Rooms are clean and spacious. We were traveling with our 19 month old daughter; the little sitting room made a perfect place to put her travel crib. She slept soundly, and in earshot, while hubby and I relaxed and had a glass of wine on the little patio. Fairly nice pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Beautiful reception area - I thought I had read there was a manager's reception (don't know what that is, but thought I read it somewhere). I didn't ask the staff, but found no mention of it in the hotel binder.

I won't use the word bad, because mostly everything was good if not great, but I'll say here are some areas where the inn could improve a bit.

It's all about the details for me, so little things add up. I had to call three separate times to find out if they had a crib or pack and play for my daughter to sleep in. Finally, they admitted they couldn't find it. It was a pain to have to pack ours, so I wish that they had one for us. No hot water in the mini bar area, which made washing dishes hard. Somewhat sparse decor.This is fine for a chain type of hotel, but in an Inn-clogged kind of place like Russian River, you want to stand out. Times are tough, I realize but better coffee for the continental breakfast would be appreciated. It's fine to put that hotel stuff in the rooms, but I like real strong coffee and expect it at a place like this.

That's about it. I would say this would be a great place for a girls weekend, quick family getaway, etc. Within walking distance to the river and town.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2008

Spent 2 perfect days/nights at the West Sonoma Inn. Instantaneous stress relief - parked and didn't have to drive again the whole weekend. Great location - walking distance to local restaurants. Clean comfortable room came with patio and hot tub. My wife and I took full advantage of the on-site spa services (ask for Rebecca - she is terrific - but book in advance because she gets booked up). Spent hours relaxing by the pool. Genuinely friendly and helpful staff (ask for some local wine tips). This is a great place.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gorerees
Reviewed 25 May 2008

The place seemed nice from the outside and from the lobby. The people were very friendly. They were raving about the remodeled rooms and the spa, etc. The rooms were definitely remodeled--still smelled like paint and had no curtains on the bathroom window. It was exceptionally hot in the area at this time so they did provide the non-AC rooms (all of them) with a fan. However, the room never got below 82 degrees even though it was below 60 outside at night. The vineyard view room that we paid for ended up being a room with a view of a just planted vineyard=no greenery! They did open the pool since it was so hot and there was some kind of event going on but they did forget to clean the bird poop out of the bottom of the pool. I slipped on it and fell. Not fun at all. Will never go back.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WSISonoma_California, Owner at West Sonoma Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2008

We regret that the reviewer had a mixed experience while staying at our Inn. In response to their comments I’d like to say the following:

We try very hard to communicate with our guests before they arrive so that expectations are in balance. We also seek feedback from our guests while on the property so that we have an opportunity to amend anything that might be of concern. Our Asst Manager, Kirsten, spent time discussing the best options for these guests over the phone. We recommended a private, romantic suite given that this was a honeymoon trip, but our recommendation was not taken. Instead, one of our recently remodeled Vineyard rooms was chosen. This room has a lovely view down Armstrong Valley, which has a two-year-old, 80 acre vineyard. It was an unusually hot weekend and, in addition to the ceiling fan, we provided every room with a floor fan also. The temperature drops after sunset and if a guest were to open their screened windows and sliding french door the temperature in the room would be comfortable within a short period of time.

I’d like to clarify that our pool is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to dusk – we didn’t just open it because it was hot. We have a professional pool company maintain our pool and the pool area is cleaned on a daily basis. Our property is over 6 1/2 acres and, while we try our best, we can't be aware of each instance of bird dropping. We sincerely regret that the guest had a complaint and didn't bring it to our attention while they were here.

TripAdvisor is a powerful tool for travelers seeking to make informed decisions regarding their accommodation. I'm concerned that the author of this review was not factual. Their statement that they left early is untrue and misleading. I personally saw both people enjoying our European Breakfast on the morning of their scheduled check-out and neither seemed unhappy or in a rush to leave our inn.

Karen O’Brien
Owner

Reviewed 4 May 2008

The West Sonoma Inn was a wonderful experience. We stayed on our honeymoon for a week. The location was fabulous, the room was private, quiet and comfortable. The staff is what really set the inn apart. They went above and beyond for us. Overall, we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay in the area. We would definitely revisit them and recommend them to everyone.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank logface
Reviewed 3 May 2008

My husband and I decided to check out our "backyard" since we live in Napa. We took our weekend trip on a whim and hoped to stay at this Inn, but it was fully reserved on Saturday, so we stayed at the Inn across the street. Well, when we made our reservation at West Sonoma Inn for Sunday, there was abosolutely no camparison. I'm in the hotel business and believe me, this place is total customer service. It felt like the staff were family......willing do all they could to make our stay comfortable. Thank you Cameron for all your help! The owner, Naveed, is a wonderful family man who is very concerned for his guests. The rooms were large and clean. The bed was the best bed we've ever slept in when traveling. We had a seperate room with a couch and a wetbar with granite counter tops, dinnerware, wine glasses....everything you need. The back deck overlooked beautiful redwoods and vineyards. Oh, and we had a friendly blue jay that visited us for hand outs. (He ate from our hands literally). This place will be our regular stop for our future local getaways. The rates are very reasonable too. Thanks to all the staff. From Cindy & David

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
15 mi away
#4 of 12 in Guerneville
Fern Grove Cottages
Fern Grove Cottages
#1 of 12 in Guerneville

Been to West Sonoma Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!