“superb place, great people”

Santa Nella House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Guerneville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed just a single night at Santa Nella but I would wholeheartedly recommend it - the house and its owners are thoroughly charming. Guerneville is a great little town, close to the spectacular Armstrong redwood forest and featuring a truly excellent Korean pop-up dinner restaurant in an old diner. The Russian river that flows through it is well worth a canoe. At Santa Nella I particularly enjoyed getting to know our widespread and interesting fellow travellers (including a guy from NASA and two Swiss psychologists) at wine and cheese hour (put on by Bob, our friendly and knowledgeable host).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Really not sure what NBC2013's problem was but: we came back after 2 years for our second 3 night stay. The place was as beautiful as we remembered. It is in a very quiet area of the valley yet minutes away from anything you need. This B&B offered us: a beautiful room off the library, 3 excellent breakfasts (the omelet was perfect), passes to 3 days of wine tasting through out the Russian River Valley and Sonoma, 3 evenings under the stars in the hot tub. Bob, the host, was as professional yet as friendly as anyone would want. Also, have you checked B&B prices in Healdsberg? This place is a steal. The Santa Nella House was only missing one thing, Bob's beautiful bride Betsy whom we met on our last visit. Yet Bob, made our stay and our comfort his priority. We will return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Really, just look online. The library room was great because it had a fire place and close to the h...
2  Thank JPHughes
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Santa Nella House the weekend of Betsy's passing. It was only later, the day before our departure that we learned of her death. Bob, staff, and family were friendly, welcoming and helpful. I certainly noticed Betsy's absence but felt it was inappropriate to inquire about her. I was shocked to learn of Betsy's death and amazed that at what has to be a difficult time, everyone was so great. There was an evening where there was a lapse in this attentiveness, but under the circumstances this was certainly understandable to me. I like to stay at B&B's because it is a more personable experience than staying in a hotel. I understand that because it is a more personable experience that my hosts are people, facing the same struggles and losses that we all eventually face. I obviously had a very different thought about that evening compared to my fellow guest who has written a negative review. I felt that it was unique to pull together with fellow guests by raiding the fridge for cheese and sharing wine my husband and I had purchased at a local winery. I loved the Santa Nella, nestled in a redwood forest near so many wonderful things to see and do. We stayed in the Gold Room, a charming room with a private bath and a fireplace where our host laid a fire for us each evening. The breakfasts Bob prepared were delicious and the service was attentive and caring. We took advantage of the jacuzzi and sauna on the property which were wonderful! We had to leave a bit early on Sunday morning to make our flight out of SFO and were unable to stay for Bob's famous French toast, all the more reason to visit again. Bob provided cups of coffee to go for us, which was much appreciated. My feeling is that the Santa Nella was a labor of love for Bob and Betsy and my hope is that Bob will continue to open his home to guests, and I look forward to my next visit there. Thanks Bob and family! Wishing you all peace and healing in this difficult time.
Linda M. from Dallas, Texas

1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Santa Nella House is a true B&B in every sense of the word. A very charming 1800's house with sweeping porch, period details, and modern amenities. We stayed two nights.

My partner and I stayed in Emma's Room (I was kinda disappointed that Emma never made an "appearance") which was cozy, clean and quaint. We booked with our friends, who took the Library Room, which I would have preferred because it had a bathtub, but we were happy with our room anyways; it had a fireplace with a log in it ready to go, but it was a little too warm to enjoy a fire. We had no problems with our room or bathroom.

The rest of the House was cozy as well, with period furnishings. We really enjoyed using the hot tub outside on the deck and the sauna after coming "home" from a day of sightseeing and wine tasting. We had breakfast with the other guests in the formal dining room (everyone was very nice and warm, from different places), but other than that we were mostly out and about.

Santa Nella House is pretty convenient, located just before you get to the T intersection to go into downtown Guerneville. It's extremely quiet there, I slept like a log. My partner went for his morning runs before breakfast, and actually ran almost into town. He got back just in time for breakfast. Speaking of which, both days breakfast was wonderful, Bob and his crew are fantastic chefs/cooks, and being a huge fan of french toast, I was thrilled with the Sunday morning fare. They offered both orange and gravenstein apple juice (I took the latter, yummy) and coffee. In the evenings they had fresh cookies and sherry was available (which I think one of us enjoyed).

The family and staff were very friendly and accommodating. There is one caveat here, as there were a few glitches in the service, it's true. We were also there when two guests were locked out of their room and couldn't find staff to let them in. And we were also there when the 6:00 wine and cheese social time was missed. BUT, the reason there were a few times when the staff seemed to be "missing" is because, unfortunately and tragically, Bob's wife, Betsy, passed away the very day we arrived. This was probably the reason two of the daughters were there visiting, and they helped out and made us feel at home. I felt so sad that they had guests to take care of while they were dealing with the terrible grief, so I completely understood the few mishaps and frankly they didn't phase me a bit. We just went into the fridge, got some cheese, found the crackers, some other guests opened wine they bought from a winery the day before, and we had a nice gathering anyway. I'm guessing Bob and his family had to take care of a lot of things, while still in shock, and still keep the B&B running, so while I didn't HAVE to be forgiving, I chose to be empathetic and just enjoy the rest of the stay (funny how a hot tub and some wine will take care of ANYthing. HA).

My partner and I enjoyed our stay and we would go back if we visit the Russian River again.

1  Thank CCBerkeley
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We expected more from a bed and breakfast for the EXTREMELY high price we paid for. The staff were friendly, but there were several serious issues.

One of the guests got locked out of their room and they waited for almost 4 hours outside. There was no one at the house to let them in their room. After hours of waiting, they decided to start looking for a key all over the first floor and luckily, they found it after almost 4 hours. We felt bad for them.

The second day, we waited for wine and cheese at the patio, no one came. After nearly an hour of patiently waiting we decided it was not going to happen so the guests started to search for snacks in the fridge and ate them.

Although the website specifically says desserts, it was just a dessert. Both night were cookies

The bathroom can use a very good cleaning and scrubbing because the tiles were moldy. When we took a shower the water was backing up and we constantly had to turn off the shower so it won't flood in the bathroom.

The house needs a good cleaning. Under our bed, we found a dirty old shoe.

Their website says each guests will receive a special gift when they leave - "a bottle of Santa Nella Balsamic Vinegar" NONE of us did.

Room Tip: Bathroom really needs a major make over. Too much mold on the tiles.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NBC2013
b+breeves, Owner at Santa Nella House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Sadly, it's all true. What is not mentioned is that my wife passed away the same day this party checked.in. I am at a loss to imagine how this guest is unable to understand that this can and did affect our ability to maintain our usual high standard of service. My family and staff are deeply in mourning and incredibly hurt by this review.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Fabulous stay at Santa Nella! Bob and Betsy are very gracious and experienced hosts and the house itself is a treasure. We stayed there for 4 or 5 days in April'13. The property is sparkling clean, the breakfast are sumptuous and Bob and Betsy did everything possible to accomodate my vegetarian diet. There is a sauna and a hot tub on the property which guests can use, a great library for a quiet afternoon and also wine/cheese reception in the early evening. Bob and Betsy provided us with their recommendations for locally owned wineries and restaurants. We had a fantastic time hiking in a nearby Armstrong Woods, going to the ocean side and visiting nearby off the beaten path wineries. it was probably our 5th or 6th visit to Sonoma and staying in Santa Nella was one of the most memorable experiences.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This was by far one of the best B&B experiences my wife and I have ever had. Bob and Betsy were great hosts and have us wonderful recommendations on where to go, what to eat, and where to find the best wines. We would recommend the Santa Nella House for anyone!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank CLC05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
Bodega Bay Lodge
2 mi away
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
#10 of 12 in Guerneville

Been to Santa Nella House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!