“Charming Bed & Breakfast with nature's backdrop of towering redwoods” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fern Grove Cottages

Fern Grove Cottages
Ranked #2 of 13 Guerneville B&B and Inns
Florida
“Charming Bed & Breakfast with nature's backdrop of towering redwoods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

We enjoyed our one nite stay wishing we had more time to stay longer at Fern Wood Cottages. From the minute we stepped in the door, we were greeted by name and made to feel welcome. In preparation for our arrival, they had turned the heat up in our cottage to make it comfy warm. This was our first time to the Russian River area and were traveling on motorcycle. We appreciated the availability of a computer and printer in the main area to check our business emails. The room was rustic and the English flower gardens ourside our cabin delightful. The free breakfast was wonderful with lots of homemade items to enjoy....We can't wait to come back again next year!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Walnut Creek, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

The Fern Grove Cottages are a great value! Just off Ca. State Hwy 116 in Guerneville, it is easy to get to and convenient to nearly everything you need in town and in the surrounding areas. The cottages are lovely and cozy. They are well maintained and clean. The cottages are nestled against a redwood grove giving it a rustic look. We very much enjoyed our stay and will return often.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

I really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was nice. The salt water pool and bbq were enjoyable and the staff was helpful. Be aware that if you stay in the rooms with the spa, you will not have a kitchenette. The cottages are an easy walk into town. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Salinas, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

My wife and I went to Fern Grove for our anniversery and had an absolutely fantastic time! While cozy is sometimes used a euphamism for cramped, in this case the room was exactly what one would expect from this word in the best possible sense. We stayed in a studio with a spa tub, and while the room was small, the decore and comfortable bed made it feel intimate and homey - perfect for a romantic get away.

The management also went out of their way to reccommend the best area restaurants and were willing to make the reservations for us ( a service we declined but appreciated) . As others have said the breakfasts were delicious and in the afternoons they set out several bottles of wine or sherry for tasting.

We had no complaints and quite a bit of fun exploring this part of the North Coast. We could see migrating Grey Whales from the cliffs above Jenner and hiked around Armstrong Redwoods State Park.

After reading other reviews, I have to say, it's not fancy but I don't believe it's meant to be so. It is however, very clean, comfortable, and welcoming. We look forward to returning very soon.

Cheers,
travelingnaturalist

• Liked — comfortable bed and room, friendly staff
  • Disliked — heater was slow to turn on - took a while for the room to warm up
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2008

I guess my expectations were too high after reading all these reviews, but i was disappointed. CONS: The cabin was tiny, stuffy, and noisy - overpriced for what you get. Yes, clean, but so small I could not walk around the bed - seriously. And old. The town of Guernville looks and feels as dusty as it is. Plus, we were accosted several times by aggressive pan handlers - that stressed me out and made me want to leave as soon as possible; one of them was truly frightening. PROS: The pool is nice and the gardens are pretty. The owners clearly love their place and take good care of it. The breakfast was better than most., but I wouldn't go back just for the scones. I think they make the best of what they have there, just not my cup of tea.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — tiny cabin
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

Guernville, California Fern Grove Cottages
Aug 30, 2008
Marty Freitas
We stayed 2 days, Aug 27 and Aug 28, in one of the "Studio"
cottages. The bed was amazingly confortable. There is a nice pool, plus you are close to the Russian River, an easy drive to either Jenner(the ocean/beach) and the Wine country. The grounds are beautiful as the cottages are built within a Redwood grove and landscaped with beautiful flowers.
The staff was very accomadating. The "breakfast" was a nice social situation.

• Liked — confortable cabin
  • Disliked — no air conditioning, but they do provide fans
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
SockMonkeyPress
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

Like comfort food for the soul, Fern Grove Cottages fed my need for a peaceful, relaxing, and restorative vacation. Although I was hesitant about making reservation online for a cottage I'd never seen, my fears were unfounded. I was made to feel so welcome when I checked in the first evening that I felt like I was staying in Randi Sue's own home. The cottage was bright, clean, cozy, and quiet. Even though I slept with the windows open I never heard noise from the nearby road. Every little detail is provided for guests; from board games and books in the living room, to plates, napkin, utensils, dish towel, and can opener in the kitchen. The TV was bigger than mine at home, and the gas fireplace provided not only heat but comforting flames. The gardens were beautiful, complete with flowers, grapes and vegetables. I loved the place so much after my first night that I wanted to extend my stay; the innkeepers went out of their way to accomodate me and make that happen. I stayed in the middle of the week (Monday - Thursday), so at $149 a night with breakfast it was a bargain. If glitz and glamour are your style, then Fern Grove isn't for you. But if you want to feel nurtured, enjoy cottage decor (my cottage was a vineyard theme), and need to get away from hectic city life, then you'll fall in love with Fern Grove. And the scrumptious scones served at breakfast are like a chocolate on your pillow.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
Bodega Bay Lodge
#3 of 13 in Guerneville
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
#8 of 13 in Guerneville

Been to Fern Grove Cottages? Share your experiences!