“Disappointing. ”

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

3 things you'll walk away thinking - LOUD, bad service and cigarette smoke everywhere. Our room was a deluxe king and while nice the rest of the hotel was a wreck with guests loudly running amuck past midnight. It was so loud we couldn't enjoy our anniversary evening and when we called down to the front desk they did not care in the least. There was no apology, no concern. When I reserved the room I requested a quiet room - I guess those don't exist here. Also, EVERYTHING smells like stale cigarette smoke. Yuck.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Allison C

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Weekend getaway celebrating our anniversary. The room was spacious with large bath, king bed, armoir, and living space with sofa, chair, and small breakfast table. Two flat screen tv's (living room and bedroom), fireplace (which we used one night), fridge, and patio seating for two. The harbor view is nothing spectacular, however the location is walking distance to a nice beach and a few dining options which makes the location appealing. The front desk staff is friendly, however this is very self serve...no valet, or concierge. There was a sound machine in the room which we later figured out was likely to block out the fog horn that sounds throughout the night. Overall we had a nice stay. On our final morning, we did awaken to a lack of hot water and fire alarm testing, which we were not previously informed of. We took advantage of the spa services which is a bit challenging to locate, but other than that, the spa staff was friendly and we were pleased with our services. Keep in mind there are limited options in this location. Given the price, I think it was just fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina T
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Love this Hotel, very friendly staff, room service, restaurant and bar on site.
Close to the HMB Brewing company as well as the Mezza Luna Italian restaurant, Mavericks, etc.
Just a place to relax and enjoy the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, never been disipointed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sgalligan
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our anniversary. When we checked in, the lady at the front desk told us that we staying in the next building. Apparently the room we had booked was not in the main hotel, which was fine. She made us feel, however, that we weren't good enough to stay in the main hotel.

So the room we were in was in a small two-story building that look like it used to be a bed-and-breakfast. It smelled and the building and furniture were old/dated. Since it was my first time in the area, I called the front desk to see if there was a nearby bar or restaurant that we should try. The guy who answered the phone was sarcastic saying that everything was nearby, within walking distance to be exact, but didn't really recommend a place.

To top it off, throughout the evening, there was a blow-horn that went off every five minutes! It was so hard to get any sleep. I learned after the fact that the rooms in the main hotel had earplugs for the guests. There were no earplugs in my room. Oh, there was also a draft in the room that you could feel when you were next to the windows or on the floor, and the heater did not work properly so it was a bit chilly.

As much money that I spent, this was not the experience I was expecting. Such a huge disappointment. Now if it is ever under $100/night, I may consider staying here again but don't count on it.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, don't stay in the building across from the main hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here for one night and had a great spacious family suite which was lovely! The location of hotel is also fantastic, right next to the harbour. However, as everyone mentions the fog horn that sounds continuously is something to be aware of, it isn't that loud but can be very annoying. Also we had breakfast in the hotel, after we ordered our food it took awhile to arrive and came on a cart from some other part of the hotel, as if we ordered room service, and by the time it was on the table, most of the food was already cold. Our room was also next to a room of 10 year olds, who didn't seem to have an adult with them and so the noise in the room was quite loud.

2  Thank Jonny M
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for two nights with young children and loved having extra space. The room was beautiful and overlooked the harbor. The horn that sounded non stop was a bit annoying, but the hotel did supply ear plugs in the nightstand.

1  Thank Julie K
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a really nice hotel. The rooms are as nice as they look with a fireplace and deep bathtub. They supply you with bath products from Aveda and even a cork screw for wine. Beds are firm but comfortable.

There is a fog horn that sounds every 15 seconds. I knew that going in and it did not bother me. It was not that loud and I was facing the bay. I did put a rain app on my iPad for sleep. But if you have issue with sounds you may want to choose another hotel.

The staff was fine but not overly friendly or helpful.

I did notice room service trays in the hallway overnight. It may just be that this hotel is not staffed well. Or perhaps not that busy because of the fog horn. I did not see any other guests while I was there.

I was happy with my stay, but as I said I knew about the fog horn going in.

1  Thank 2dream2014