“Nice hotel but poor internet service and no on-demand movies/TV”

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I am writing to highlights 2 glaring 'misses' that (for me) make this hotel somewhat unacceptable: decent wireless internet and on-demand movies/TV. And I'm baffled because its very nice otherwise, why skimp on these important services (and why has no one else written about this so I could have avoided staying here?!!?!). My purpose in coming here was to get away, surf the web and watch a couple of movies uninterrupted (I have 2 kids under the age of 2 and so this is currently my version of 'luxury' :-)). I had intermittent and overall poor (painfully SLOW) wireless the first night (more frustrating because I was now trying to download a movie to watch on my laptop and couldn't until I finally went to the lobby at midnight where the wireless internet is decent), the next day I worked with staff to find better room closer to the wireless router and this was bit frustrating because second room also had fairly poor wireless, finally front desk asked management who apparently knew where one of the routers was and we found room 216 - which does have very good wireless so can also just ask for this room I suppose. Lastly, the only option for TV is generic cable - and this seems crazy, don't they want my $10 per movie? The hotel has been open for year and half now and they haven't dealt with this? Who wants to watch commercials and/or hope that HBO is showing a movie might want to watch (HBO is the only movie channel, they have about 35 channels total). They advertise on their site 'flat screen high-def TVs' so you'd assume you wouldn't have the only option as standard cable but that is all you get (and no, there are not even DVD players so couldn't rent a movie, sorry). Staff also seems pretty 'green' overall and that can be bit frustrating, very nice people, but not a lot of information it seemed. Note: the bedding, bathrooms, views, etc. are very nice and the hotel is nice... but I feel internet and movies/TV are important and esp. at the price of this hotel.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
oceanohmb, Operations Manager at Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2009

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to explain why the hotel is not currently offering MOD (Movies on Demand). We share your feelings about the importance of in-room movies and Internet access. When the hotel opened in January of 2008 we were offering a system that was revolutionary to the hospitality market. The system was designed to provide guests an opportunity to experience a new medium of in-room entertainment by offering web access via the TV. This in-suite network allowed the guests free access to the Internet from the comfort of their own room and viewing was done from the 42 inch HD TV’s. Everything on the World Wide Web was accessible to the guest including: Internet information, email, games and of course movies. It allowed guests to download any movie that was available from movie rental companies such as: Netflix, Blockbuster, iTunes etc.

The system worked very well until we realized that many of the online games that are accessible to the public via the Internet require a license agreement and for a hotel with multiple computers this was not obtainable. There was no way for the hotel to block out access to the tens of thousands of games that are available on the World Wide Web so the system was removed.

At this time we are completing the in-room wiring for the MOD systems, and have narrowed the choices down to 3 of the top distributors for MOD viewing. We hope to have this up and running by the first of the year.

I’m sorry that the free wireless access was such an inconvenience; we have 24 repeaters throughout the hotel to ensure a strong signal. Also available in each room is a direct Ethernet connection to guarantee a high-speed access point. Please feel free to contact the hotel before your next visit, we would be happy to keep you informed about the status of the MOD system implementation.

Thank you again for your feedback. We value your opinion, and it is our goal to continue to enhance our services and amenities to ensure complete comfort to all of our guests.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

Brides...and Grooms....this is 100% the best venue to have your wedding at. We had our reception on August 9th. I personally did not have my ceremony here as I had a tradition Catholic wedding, but with all the grief I endured from the church, I kind of wished I had my ceremony here as well. Oceano is the best place. It is right across the street from Pillar Point Harbor or is in the I harbor at Half Moon Bay. So your also getting the beautiful scenery from Half Moon Bay; a nice elegant and peaceful town. My husband and I took beautiful beach photos right across the street from the hotel the day of our wedding. That's a bonus....Plus Oceano Hotel & Spa is a new facility that just opened in 2008. From the decor, to the food (food is excellent), to the exceptional customer service is what every bride dreams of. Another interesting thing about the hotel is that if you go outside the lobby they have a little indoor type of mall with shops and restaurants, plus their opening a new spa. A great place for your friends and family to enjoy as well.The Wedding coordinator Nancy is the nicest and wamest person you will ever meet. She completely understands you and just truly wants to make your day as special as possible. She is truly amazing. I cannot emphasize that enough. They are flexible and are willing to work with you to make sure your day is everything you wanted. I guarantee if you book an appointment with Nancy and tour the facility you will not be disappointed. Oceano is a fun, new and exciting place to have your event. I would reccommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 21 August 2009

My wife and I had our wedding at the Oceano Hotel on August 15th, 2009. We cannot say enough good things about the Oceano and Nancy the event coordinator. She is the single most professional vendor or event service individual we've ever met.
Our guests were blown away by the venue, the reception food, the spacious rooms and the service at the Oceano. Everyone had an amazing time and everyone loved the rooms and location. The spacious suite rooms reminded me somewhat of the rooms at the Venetian in Vegas.

The day of the wedding while I waiting anxiously before the ceremony, I sat on my patio and enjoyed the open air and harbor view. I walked across the street to get some award winning fish and chips at Barbara's Fish Trap, a nice treat to relax before my big day. On rehearsal dinner night, family and guests mingled at the Half Moon Bay Brewing company and other establishments all within a few hundred feet of the Oceano.

Nancy said our guests wouldn't want to leave and she was right. More than 50 of our guests stuck around after the wedding ballroom reception to continue the celebration in the Oceano hotel bar. People didn't want to leave. Nancy and her staff took amazing care of us and did an great job. This hotel and venue was well worth it and a place we will continue to visit on our anniversaries.

Also, unlike other hotels in the bay area or other unnamed "Ritzie" hotels in Half Moon Bay, there is free parking at the Oceano which is a pleasant amenity and was a benefit for all our wedding guests.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe_d74
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The atmosphere of tranquility is immediately apparent upon entering the Oceano Hotel & Spa. The front desk staff was efficient and accommodating throughout our stay. Tony Canadas was outstanding in fulfilling all of the needs for myself and friends. The Oceano Hotel & Spa location is enhanced with the beautiful decor throughout the hotel. The room was spacious and well appointed - comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom and all the amenities throughout the room. Looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank 67snowball
Reviewed 11 August 2009

This hotel has the best blend of elegance and comfort that I have ever seen. I have traveled in Europe, Asia and the U.S, and haven’t seen anything like it. I can’t believe the incredible variety of scenery and activities in such a small area. Within walking distance you have The Pacific Ocean, five top quality restaurants, two fresh vegetable farms, a spa, a municipal airport, 15 shops, a fishing village and a quaint town nearby. The people are friendly and the service is great. I’m going to be coming back again and again. I really considered keeping the place to myself, but it wouldn’t be fair. Go see for yourself.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Oceano, half Moon bay. A friend had recommended the hotel to us because we were told the rooms were amazingly comfortable, luxurious and very clean. We wanted to escape the city and boy were we surprised. It was luxurious, just the right size and half moon bay is a cute town and what a better place to recharge than in a real reasonable romantic vacation relaxation. We were greeted by a very smart and friendly manager. what service! I think his name was Charles, an interesting and very smart man who greeted us and made our stay very comfortable. The hotel is clean and in a great location, close to the water, harbor and so many great seafood restaurants! We need to go back and stay for many weekends to come. My wife and I are in love with Oceano and Half Moon Bay. a short escape (25 minutes!) from San Francisco.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Wonderful staff--friendly and helpful. Beautiful room, beautiful lobby. Great location, right at the waterfront with views of the boat docks. Room service breakfast was wonderful--delicious baked goods.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends