“Not too shabby! "It would be my Dan Carlton pleasure"”

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 20 October 2009

This place is in a prime location if you wish to enjoy many local shops, restaurants, and bars.
Really nice rooms and some great views of the harbor & bay. Dig it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at the Oceano Hotel for a recent company conference and I will definitely return for either business or pleasure. The hotel has charming coastal ambience and is complete with all the amenities one would want for business or liesure travel: organized and professional staff, spaceous and tastefully decorated meeting rooms, excellent food, and a fantastic location (situated at Pillar Point Harbor in Half Moon Bay walking distance to shops, a variety of restauarants, and a 25 minute drive to SF). My room was absolutely wonderful with comfortable coastal decor and harbor front views. I was happy to find Aveda spa products in the gorgeous bathroom as well as soft bamboo linens, a private balcony and a flat screen tv. I also appreciated the fact that the hotel is eco-friendly. The experience made the business trip a true pleasure. I'm sure we'll be booking our next conference at the Oceano Hotel and I'm planning on returning for a relaxing spa weekend too!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Wow what a find! The Ritz expereance at half the price. You can walk to a selection of different reastaurants,and live music.Very romantic

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I am writing to highlights 2 glaring 'misses' that (for me) make this hotel somewhat unacceptable: decent wireless internet and on-demand movies/TV. And I'm baffled because its very nice otherwise, why skimp on these important services (and why has no one else written about this so I could have avoided staying here?!!?!). My purpose in coming here was to get away, surf the web and watch a couple of movies uninterrupted (I have 2 kids under the age of 2 and so this is currently my version of 'luxury' :-)). I had intermittent and overall poor (painfully SLOW) wireless the first night (more frustrating because I was now trying to download a movie to watch on my laptop and couldn't until I finally went to the lobby at midnight where the wireless internet is decent), the next day I worked with staff to find better room closer to the wireless router and this was bit frustrating because second room also had fairly poor wireless, finally front desk asked management who apparently knew where one of the routers was and we found room 216 - which does have very good wireless so can also just ask for this room I suppose. Lastly, the only option for TV is generic cable - and this seems crazy, don't they want my $10 per movie? The hotel has been open for year and half now and they haven't dealt with this? Who wants to watch commercials and/or hope that HBO is showing a movie might want to watch (HBO is the only movie channel, they have about 35 channels total). They advertise on their site 'flat screen high-def TVs' so you'd assume you wouldn't have the only option as standard cable but that is all you get (and no, there are not even DVD players so couldn't rent a movie, sorry). Staff also seems pretty 'green' overall and that can be bit frustrating, very nice people, but not a lot of information it seemed. Note: the bedding, bathrooms, views, etc. are very nice and the hotel is nice... but I feel internet and movies/TV are important and esp. at the price of this hotel.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
oceanohmb, Operations Manager at Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2009

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to explain why the hotel is not currently offering MOD (Movies on Demand). We share your feelings about the importance of in-room movies and Internet access. When the hotel opened in January of 2008 we were offering a system that was revolutionary to the hospitality market. The system was designed to provide guests an opportunity to experience a new medium of in-room entertainment by offering web access via the TV. This in-suite network allowed the guests free access to the Internet from the comfort of their own room and viewing was done from the 42 inch HD TV’s. Everything on the World Wide Web was accessible to the guest including: Internet information, email, games and of course movies. It allowed guests to download any movie that was available from movie rental companies such as: Netflix, Blockbuster, iTunes etc.

The system worked very well until we realized that many of the online games that are accessible to the public via the Internet require a license agreement and for a hotel with multiple computers this was not obtainable. There was no way for the hotel to block out access to the tens of thousands of games that are available on the World Wide Web so the system was removed.

At this time we are completing the in-room wiring for the MOD systems, and have narrowed the choices down to 3 of the top distributors for MOD viewing. We hope to have this up and running by the first of the year.

I’m sorry that the free wireless access was such an inconvenience; we have 24 repeaters throughout the hotel to ensure a strong signal. Also available in each room is a direct Ethernet connection to guarantee a high-speed access point. Please feel free to contact the hotel before your next visit, we would be happy to keep you informed about the status of the MOD system implementation.

Thank you again for your feedback. We value your opinion, and it is our goal to continue to enhance our services and amenities to ensure complete comfort to all of our guests.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

Brides...and Grooms....this is 100% the best venue to have your wedding at. We had our reception on August 9th. I personally did not have my ceremony here as I had a tradition Catholic wedding, but with all the grief I endured from the church, I kind of wished I had my ceremony here as well. Oceano is the best place. It is right across the street from Pillar Point Harbor or is in the I harbor at Half Moon Bay. So your also getting the beautiful scenery from Half Moon Bay; a nice elegant and peaceful town. My husband and I took beautiful beach photos right across the street from the hotel the day of our wedding. That's a bonus....Plus Oceano Hotel & Spa is a new facility that just opened in 2008. From the decor, to the food (food is excellent), to the exceptional customer service is what every bride dreams of. Another interesting thing about the hotel is that if you go outside the lobby they have a little indoor type of mall with shops and restaurants, plus their opening a new spa. A great place for your friends and family to enjoy as well.The Wedding coordinator Nancy is the nicest and wamest person you will ever meet. She completely understands you and just truly wants to make your day as special as possible. She is truly amazing. I cannot emphasize that enough. They are flexible and are willing to work with you to make sure your day is everything you wanted. I guarantee if you book an appointment with Nancy and tour the facility you will not be disappointed. Oceano is a fun, new and exciting place to have your event. I would reccommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 21 August 2009

My wife and I had our wedding at the Oceano Hotel on August 15th, 2009. We cannot say enough good things about the Oceano and Nancy the event coordinator. She is the single most professional vendor or event service individual we've ever met.
Our guests were blown away by the venue, the reception food, the spacious rooms and the service at the Oceano. Everyone had an amazing time and everyone loved the rooms and location. The spacious suite rooms reminded me somewhat of the rooms at the Venetian in Vegas.

The day of the wedding while I waiting anxiously before the ceremony, I sat on my patio and enjoyed the open air and harbor view. I walked across the street to get some award winning fish and chips at Barbara's Fish Trap, a nice treat to relax before my big day. On rehearsal dinner night, family and guests mingled at the Half Moon Bay Brewing company and other establishments all within a few hundred feet of the Oceano.

Nancy said our guests wouldn't want to leave and she was right. More than 50 of our guests stuck around after the wedding ballroom reception to continue the celebration in the Oceano hotel bar. People didn't want to leave. Nancy and her staff took amazing care of us and did an great job. This hotel and venue was well worth it and a place we will continue to visit on our anniversaries.

Also, unlike other hotels in the bay area or other unnamed "Ritzie" hotels in Half Moon Bay, there is free parking at the Oceano which is a pleasant amenity and was a benefit for all our wedding guests.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe_d74
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The atmosphere of tranquility is immediately apparent upon entering the Oceano Hotel & Spa. The front desk staff was efficient and accommodating throughout our stay. Tony Canadas was outstanding in fulfilling all of the needs for myself and friends. The Oceano Hotel & Spa location is enhanced with the beautiful decor throughout the hotel. The room was spacious and well appointed - comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom and all the amenities throughout the room. Looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends