“Disappointing”

Ranked #9 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This was the FIRST hotel that I've checked into that included a space heater and ear plugs as standard equipment. Very disappointing when we realized that we needed BOTH!. Noise from the street and partiers assured us of little sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank santacruz95060

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Pillar point Harbor is a blink-and-you'd-miss-it kinda place, with fresh sea food and lots of atmosphere. It's perfect for the kind of weekend where you'd only leave the B&B in search of sustenance. The rooms are lovely with big window seats overlooking the harbor and gas fireplaces. At night the fog rolls in and all you hear is the fog horn in the distance.
There's patio and balcony for enjoying a glass of wine in afternoon or cup of coffee (all complimentary).
There's horseback riding on the beach in nearby Half Moon Bay.

It's quiet, charming and a world away.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CleveandKat
Chico, California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Staying at Pillar Point is a treat. We love sitting in the window seat with the fireplace going looking out at the goings-on in the marina. From the hotel, you can walk down the trail to Half Moon Bay. A great brewery is right across the parking lot from the hotel, and the huge Mavericks waves are close by. At our last visit to the brewery, we sat next to a photographer that had come from Australia to photograph the surfers at the Mavericks.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drive158blue
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed next door at the Pillar Point B&B which Oceano owns (next store). The room was OK, fireplace was nice, bathroom needed updating. Anyways, I had a fever and bronchitis so wanted to order some food and stay in. The room had a room service menu, so I decided to order form there. I placed my order with the front desk, and they told me I would have to walk next door to pick it up, which I said no problem. I get there, and the boy at the front desk (Dylan) tells me he can't charge my room, to which I replied should have told me over the phone when I placed my order, to which I got a ton of attitude. So I walk back, get my credit card, walk back over to get my food to more attitude, to which I gave him a piece of my mind. I ate my food, chugged some Nyquil, and go to bed. I wake up to the manager telling me to 1. Get my ---- and get out or 2. have the cops come. What a great way to treat a guest. Stay here if you want to be treated by a bunch of unprofessional jerks.

Room Tip: Fog horn goes off every 10 seconds, that you can hear in every room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank Jamespburke3

Travellers are raving about these Half Moon Bay hotels

Pleasanton
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Unless you're a sound sleeper I wouldn't recommend this place, road noise too load with cars constantly driving down all night, 3 bars within a block with people shouting, talking till 3am, can't do anything about the fog horn sounding every 10 seconds, with windows closed we couldn't drown out noise with TV turned up, stay somewhere else if you want a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jscaf_11
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We booked the entire 11 rooms at Pillar Point in June for a wedding the weekend of October 23rd. We booked the rooms before the website went down, the voice mail box filled up and our angst grew. Fortunately my daughter (the bride) was able to drive over to the inn and determined that the Oceano Hotel & Resort next door had taken it over. The Oceano said they intended to update a few things and then reopen in August.
Fast forward to the present. We became very familiar with Ken Seidler, the reservations manager at Oceano, as we adjusted reservations in the months leading up to the wedding. I spoke with Ken as we were checking out, in part to complain that what had been billed as a "bed & breakfast" no longer provided breakfast. He apologized for this but stated that it was not the intention of Oceano to operate as a B & B. (would have been nice if he had told us that before we arrived). He said Oceano would use the 11 rooms as overflow and as a low end marketing tool reflecting that rooms "starting at $149.00" were available when in truth all the Oceano rooms are $275.00 and up.
He admitted that they had been perplexed about what to do about the facility when they essentially inherited it. The old owners at Pillar Point had basically been put out of business when the shadow of the Oceano rose above them three years prior. There had been talk of an event center. Then talk of a retail center. Perhaps a corporate retreat location with a meeting room. For the present they operate it as the cheap rooms at Oceano with limited services. The rooms are, however, very nice.
This review isn't attend to espouse the virtues of this hotel as much as it is to bring folks up-to-date on the goings-on. The location of Pillar Point/Oceano is wonderful for access to the harbor, the walking distance to restaurants (Half Moon Bay Brewing Company, Ketch Joanne, Barbara's Fish House, Mezza Luna, Cafe Classique). And the Oceano/Pillar Point Inn are not your only accommodations north of Half Moon Bay. You have Harbor View Inn across the street , Inn at Mavericks around the corner, The Beach House Hotel a half mile south and Seal Cove Inn a mile and a half north. Just check your locations through TripAdvisor before departing. It is a wonderful area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank KenVicLee
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This wonderful bed and breakfast, our favorite since it's rennovation, has apparently ceased operation. We miss the gracious hospitality of the inkeepers, Melodye and Mary as well as the inn itself.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple