See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 February 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I planned a last minute getaway here. I really enjoyed the view of the harbor and ocean. The fireplace in the room was wonderful and the Aveda products were phenomenal. It was very clean and the location was perfect! The shower could use a little update but other than that it was terrific. I could have stayed there for a week!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2014

We stayed in Pillar Point for 1 night during our honeymoon, and we absolutely loved it. Although it was a bit of a distance outside San Francisco itself but the surroundings were absolutely beautiful.
We booked our room via booking.com and actually thought we were staying in the main Oceano Hotel building (although on looking back at our confirmation e-mails etc they did say Pillar Point). There isn't an elevator in Pillar Point so you have to take your suitcase (23kg each for us!) up a staircase, but they did offer to do this for us. The girl who checked us in was friendly but we did feel slightly rushed even though reception was empty.

One thing to be aware of is that the marina is a little noisy but the hotel did provide earplugs as standard for light sleepers. There were loads of unique restaurants and bars around the area, pumpkin patches all over the place and just loads to look at.

To summarise, I would recommend the hotel - it's a beautiful area and wish we had spent more time there but it was quite costly (but the prices in general for San Francisco were quite high so I don't think they were overpriced in comparison).

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Checking in at the Oceano Hotel front desk, I felt distinctly second-class not staying in the main hotel. The clerk was smiling and friendly, yet perfunctory, not forthcoming with directions or information. I was there for two nights, midweek, off-season, and the hotel was nearly empty. The desk clerks had nothing to do, yet they acted as though they did not have time for me.

My room was large and had a great view. Its appearance was superficially very pleasant. High ceiling and gas fireplace with glass doors, not bad at all. The Berber carpeting seemed new, but the antiqued finish on the furniture did not completely disguise the poor maintenance.

The baseboard heater was very old, painted over, and with a cover falling off. No matter, there's the gas fireplace for heat. It worked flawlessly.

The updated bath had a new sink and faucet, but the spigot was loose. There was a new low-flow toilet, but it was not within arm's-reach of the older built-in tile toilet paper dispenser. Peculiar and inconvenient, but not a deal-breaker.

Then I went to open the windows, and found that the cranks were broken on the two side windows. Some previous guest, who didn't know how to operate casement windows, no doubt had attempted to force the cranks without releasing the latches first. The main sliding window had a sign, "open only in emergency."

When I turned down the bed, I got a shock, thinking the bed had been slept in. On closer inspection, I determined from the uniformity of the wrinkles, that the sheets had been crammed into the dryer, and/or not removed promptly. Not a good impression. There was a hair on the bedspread. Ugh! Now, the decision -- do I complain, ask for another room? Nah, I was getting a bargain rate, I decided I could live with it.

During the night, it became drafty. I realized that the window that I thought was stuck closed, was in fact stuck ajar. I had to remove the screen, but succeeded in getting it closed without the useless crank. The windows are double-glazed, so it was much quieter, as well. Replacing the screen, I could see how long that window had remained in that condition. Washed hands before going back to bed.

All-in-all, the room was such a mixed bag, that it's it's hard to recommend it. On the other hand, it, even with its many shortcomings, for the money, it was a lot nicer than most motel rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Known2Roam
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This was the FIRST hotel that I've checked into that included a space heater and ear plugs as standard equipment. Very disappointing when we realized that we needed BOTH!. Noise from the street and partiers assured us of little sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank santacruz95060
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Pillar point Harbor is a blink-and-you'd-miss-it kinda place, with fresh sea food and lots of atmosphere. It's perfect for the kind of weekend where you'd only leave the B&B in search of sustenance. The rooms are lovely with big window seats overlooking the harbor and gas fireplaces. At night the fog rolls in and all you hear is the fog horn in the distance.
There's patio and balcony for enjoying a glass of wine in afternoon or cup of coffee (all complimentary).
There's horseback riding on the beach in nearby Half Moon Bay.

It's quiet, charming and a world away.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple