“Over priced”

Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Nice front desk and nice bedding. Breakfast OK. Location not the greatest.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed here for one night and it was fine. the room was very large and clean. they have a mirco, coffee maker and refrigerator in the room which is very nice if staying for more the one day. staff very friendly. I thought the freeway noise would be an issue but it was not.

Reviewed 24 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at this motel in Oct 09 and found it really good. It pretends to be nothing but an off road motel,...but is very clean, well run with helpful staff in the reception. Decent people found to stay here.

Good points: clean spacious rooms with clean carpets that you feel safe to walk on, comfortable beds, take a room at the back of the motel as it is situated on a main road and will more quiet, excellent safe parking, staff willing to book you in on-line for flights, really nice staff willing to do anything for you, 25 minutes from San Fran. Intl. Airport, well positioned to allow you to head south for Carmel/Monterey and the Big Sur.

Excellent breakfasts in the morning to get you on your way.

Free morning paper available.

Good value.

Close to a very good beach to have a morning or evening walk to wuind down (ask the staff how to get there....takes 3 minutes by car / 15 to walk)

Downside: about 3 miles from the town of Half Moon Bay so you cannot go out and have a meal with drinks at night. Coffee tasteless and luke warm in the morning.

Good place to stay your first night if arriving at SFO or your last night if departing the next day.

Capt. & Mrs John Mitchell

Reviewed 11 October 2009

This was my second stay at this motel; my previous review was 5 stars. Unfortunately I can no longer recommend this property. When we arrived in the room we found all the windows open and the TV on. A quick call to the front desk and I was assured that the room was fine and had not been occupied that day. Further inspection revealed a trashcan full of ice with beer and wet towels but absolutely no luggage or personal items. Another call to the desk and I was again told that no one had been in the room but that a maid would come by and clean it up. The maid did come by but clearly thought I was insane when I tried to give her the trashcan of beer and ice; she did give us new towels. We stopped by the desk on our way out and again checked that the room was ours; we were then told that the room HAD been previously occupied but that there had been "troubles" and the previous occupants moved. We came back about one hour later to find people trying to enter our room. I tried to explain what happened and ended up getting verbally accousted; the man stormed off to the front desk while the woman guarded the door (which she couldn't open because her key didn't work) and informed us that she wasn't going to give up her room. We finally got back into the room and AGAIN checked with the desk staff and were told that a mistake had been made but that everything was now OK. We went out for a walk and found on return the couple had been allowed in our room to collect "their beers" which I had put in the refrigerator since I didn't want a trashcan full of melting ice in the room. WOW. I am still not sure what happened; clearly someone made a mistake and the two well meaning but inexperienced and untrained staff persons were not capable of handling the problem. After the confrontation with the couple locked out of "their room" I did ask for the manager (Venesia) but was told that she was away and didn't want to hear from us. Yes- that is what I was told (and it confirmed my suspicion that the two young desk people were indeed unsupervised). This is a first for me and one of the worst hotel experiences I have had to date. So- until the property is adequately managed (and management available as ChoiceHotels promises) I will be staying elsewhere and suggest that you do also!

4  Thank BLynnS
comfortinnhmb, General Manager at Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2010

Unfortunately, the entire situation turned out to be a miscomunication between the staff on site, the hotel guests and the General Manager, whom was out of town. Not all parties involved were getting the full information over the phone. It is unfortunate that this has taken place and the current staff has been trained accordingly.

Reviewed 4 October 2009

Even after reading the reviews I was still leary of staying at a Comfort Inn, but we were very pleased with our choice. We paid $149 plus tax (AAA rate), which seemed to be a good rate for the area. The rooms were very clean, nicely laid out, modern and comfortable - it felt like a hotel not a motel. We were given a room at the back of the hotel so we had no issues with highway noise, and even got some great breezes off the ocean. We did not have the continental breakfast that was included, but did borrow some cutlery from them and were pleased to see that they use biodegradable "plastic" cutlery.

Reviewed 7 July 2009

We were very pleased with our last minute find. The rooms were large and very clean. The staff extremely nice. We really liked the area. Be sure to go to the Half Moon Bay Restaurant. Its just a 2 block walk from the Comfort Inn on the Ocean. Great Food.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were greeted by a friendly staff and received the room we reserved. Comfy king size bed with a fold out couch and also a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. This hotel is close to the beach; it took my son and I under 10 minutes to walk there. The continental breakfast beat having to go out every morning and if you had the time you could cook your own Belgian waffle. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The only negative thing I noticed, and it's no fault of the hotel, is trying to get out onto the highway from the driveway depending on the time of day; traffic passing by can be a hassle.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Coastside Inn
Coastside Inn
#7 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!