“Don't bother”
Review of San Benito House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
San Benito House
Ranked #8 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Ear plugs are included in your welcome basket. That should tell you something. The bed was like a lumpy marshmallow. The noise was relentless. Half Moon Bay is nice and this building is historic, but find another place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Geoffrey L

Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Charming turn of the century historic hotel in downtown with plenty of street parking and convenience. Lisa checked me in with great service and a positive attitude. Room was immaculate and comfortable with no TV. The lovely grounds host weddings and events. A more than adequate free breakfast is laud out in the large dining room next to the bar/cafe. Food was delicious. I paid a walk-in lowered off season rate of $80 plus tax. The attached to-go deli serves sandwiches and some of the cafe food, again with a smile, this time from Marie. I could not have been better treated in a top ranking hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank dianamontana2
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This was by far the worst experience we have ever had at any hotel. We had a groupon for two nights and ended up coming home after one night.
1. The fire alarm battery was low and beeping all night. I called downstairs to have them fix it and they said they would have someone fix it in the morning. I asked them how they expected us to sleep and they just moved us to another room down the hallway. This is a tiny hotel so needless to say this made very little difference. They didn't offer anything to help. No one is available to help after hours.
2. Very noisy
3. NO tv, and not much to do in this town at night. The bar downstairs was closed by 1150pm on a friday night and the area around it was a ghost town. We were very bored
4. The tub didn't have a plug and had a shower head, but attached to the faucet of the tub. It was the most difficult uncomfortable shower. I had to sit down and try to shower. At least they could offer a plug or attach a real shower.
5. The toilet barely had room for me to sit without hitting the sink and I'm a small girl.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
16  Thank deannac19
Reviewed 27 January 2013

No doubt you'll read other accounts of this hotel, not all favourable. However, although rooms are basic, their clean. We arrived 4.30pm on a early October Friday, were offered a double without shower or a double with private bathroom, a difference in price of $30. Opted for room without shower, but when checking in manageress came past and offered us the better room for same price as inferior room. Luckily our room was over the sandwich bar downstairs so we didn't suffer too much from noise in bar. Now I don't know what your all looking for on your holidays, but I enjoyed this hotel, I've stayed in a lot worse. They also let me use their computer to print off my boarding tickets for our flight home. The bar is noisy but we had a good time in the bar, locals were friendly and fun.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lapparsteche
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Too bad that I didn't read reviews before my stay. I can't understand how anyone could expect to pull off running a hotel over a loud and annoying bar? I don't think that the owners/operators of this establishment are doing a service to the public. It's actually embarrassing to see that this operation is being attempted. I can't see this lasting very long.

• Stayed: November 2012
11  Thank BOSSTOOL
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The room we were assigned was small and not well appointed. There was approximately 2 feet from the bed to the wall. No place to sit down in the room and no shower. Shower option was down the hall.

Was charged $50 per night for my dog to join us. Typically a pet fee is for the stay, not per night. When I have paid per night in other hotels the pet was provided with their own ammenities: dog bed, dog bowls, some treats or a toy. For my $100 we got nothing. There wouldnt have been enough room on the floor for a small dog bed anyway, but I couldnt help feeling they were using the $50 fee per night as a revenue generator without providing any benefits.

The bed was super comfy. The linens quite nice.

The breakfast wasnt open until 8am and when I arose early there was no common space available in the early morning. The staff are there and it would be very simple to have the space open and coffee/tea available.

We will not return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank dmc511
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed here about 10 days ago with several friends who reserved rooms on Groupon. I missed that offer and paid full price for a room with a shared bath. Was given a street-side room that must have been 85-90 degrees when I checked in at 3:30 pm. No A/C, so opened up the only window (no screens), turned on the ceiling fan and went to dinner. Later that night when I came back the room was still too warm, so I slept with it open with the fan on. The fan caused my back to cramp up and the street noise (as noted previously) kept me up half the night. Commercial delivery and garbage trucks showed up around 6 am and banged about for the better part of an hour. I got up at 7 and went to take a shower in the shared bath but there was no hot water at all even after running it for 10-15 minutes. Even the hot water tap on the sink ran nothing when I turned it on. When I mentioned this to the front desk after breakfast the answer I got was "When did you try to use it? If you try to use it later in the morning there is no hot water". (Really???) When I told her I had tried at 7 am she said she would mention it to the owner and that was the last I heard of it. (The second morning there was warm water after running it for 5-10 minutes, but it never got "hot".) At 9 am a worker patrolled the sidewalk under my window with a noisy leaf blower and at 10 am they started major construction on the ceiling of the first floor - banging and hammering away for an hour.

The decor is somewhat charming in a worn Victorian way, but I would never recommend this place for peace and quiet. The courtyard is nice, as are the gardens, and my friends in the courtyard side rooms with private baths said they did have hot water although it took awhile. I suppose if you can get a room away from the street with your own bath this place would be acceptable, but frankly I won't stay here again despite the convenient location.

Also of note, when I checked in and they ran my card at the desk they charged me $12 more than my reservation confirmation stated. No idea what the extra $12 was for - especially since I couldn't use the shower for one night!

Room Tip: Stay on the courtyard side and don't reserve a room with a shared bath.