The Inn at Mavericks
Half Moon Bay Lodge(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
US$233
Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$135
ComfortInn
US$174
Beach House at Half Moon Bay(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
US$274
Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
US$287
Harbor View Inn(Half Moon Bay)
US$209
US$203
Hotels.com
Coastside Inn(Half Moon Bay)
US$168
US$163
US$170
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Priceline
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsfog hornflat rockfree snackspoop bagssea lionsfire pitwithin walking distanceview from the balconyoverlooking the watercoffee makerpillar pointoverlooking the baylocation is greatspacious bathroomsliding doorlittle thingsking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I've stayed in a number of inns, B&Bs, and hotels in the Half Moon Bay area, and the quality of the lodgings in this area is quite high overall. The Inn at Mavericks is my new favorite.

I stayed 3 nights at the Inn at Mavericks for a personal retreat. After looking at TripAdvisor I chose it based on its web site because it was on the coast near Half Moon Bay with ocean views; I could reserve a specific ground floor room from the web site; there were individual sitting areas with a view of the water outside each room; and there was a large tub in the room I chose. Also the weekday off-season rates were quite reasonable for what the inn offers.

Amenities that I appreciated: king-size Tempurpedic bed, free Wi-Fi Internet that worked flawlessly, iPod docking station alarm clock, free snack basket, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, individual room thermostat (the thermostat controlled a gas fireplace). The room had a small dining table and a seating area with a comfortable leather love seat and chair. There was a good variety of free cable TV. There were lots of power outlets.

I also enjoyed that the inn is pet-friendly; I didn't bring a dog myself but I liked meeting other guests' dogs. The downstairs rooms have little fenced yards, handsomely landscaped, overlooking the water.

Check-in did not involve interacting with a person—my info was in an envelope with my name on it, and the key to the room was next to the door. I didn't see an innkeeper until the last day of my stay. This was fine with me. The housekeeper was friendly and responsive and praised my knitting. ;)

The parking was ample and only a few steps from the room.

The hotel is near Pillar Point Harbor and Pillar Point Marsh, within walking distance if you like walking. This area is a cross between a seaside tourist resort and a fishing and recreational boating harbor. In January the harbor was quite active and the tourist stuff was very inactive. There are a lot of restaurants of all descriptions from dives to upscale. The food was good and the prices were tourist resort prices.

It's a few minutes' drive from downtown Half Moon Bay.

A few things about the room and building that a person might not like, depending on the person:

There's a fog horn in the area that blows every 10 seconds. It's not loud and I quickly got used to it (although now I have an earworm of it) but people who are sensitive to noise might find it bothersome.

The outside sitting areas are right next to each other so you don't get complete privacy. I liked interacting with the other guests I saw but some people might want more privacy.

There was no luggage rack in the room.

I'm short (5'3"). The bed was so high that I had trouble getting into it. The Tempurpedic mattress doesn't spring back so getting into bed was like trying to climb a sand dune. It would be nice if the room came with a step stool to help us short people get into bed.

The sink bowl was placed pretty far back on a deep vanity and it was a little hard for me to reach.

I gather the power goes out in the area sometimes; the room instruction sheet mentioned candles and a flashlight in the room in the case of a power outage. The power went out on the last morning of my stay for about 30 minutes. If you use a CPAP machine or some other medical device that requires continuous power, you might want to bring a backup power source.

The room has a pod coffee maker that makes one cup at a time. It was super-easy and fast to use, but not compatible with brewing a big pot of tea in the morning. Four caffeinated and two decaf coffee pods were provided daily but I wouldn't have known where to get more.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2010

Accomodations and hospitality was excellent! We checked in late and our room key was waiting us in the designated spot. Cleanliness was exceptional, bathroom was bright and clean with amazing soaking tub and great shower, soft robes as well. Comfy bed, nice gas fireplace, wonderful view of the bay, a few snacks (a good variety!) and waters were left upon check-in and very much appreciated after a long day of travel! Dining area, mini-fridge, microwave and single serve coffee maker round out the large and relaxing room. Large deck area was a pleasure for this east coaster to watch the sun rise and the glow over the sailboats early in the morning. The inn is walking distance to town for a bite to eat, a few drinks or just a stroll through this great town. We explored the beach the next morning and were delighted by the binoculars left in the room we could use to watch the amazing waves at Mavericks breaking just around the point from the Inn. There is mention of a fog horn that can easily be heard throughout the Half Moon Bay area but after an hour I honestly didn't even hear it anymore. If you stay anywhere at Half Moon Bay you will hear it but don't let that deter you from this great small inn with first class service! We also enjoyed the easily accessable high speed internet with no added charges! Thanks for an exceptional stay, we'd love to return!

Reviewed 25 January 2010

What a great place to getaway. We are just over the hill but felt a million miles away from the stress and worry of everyday life. This is the perfect hideaway. Quiet, close to shopping and restaurants if you wanted to do that, yet secluded enough that you felt like you had the whole oceanfront all to yourselves ! We were looking to go somewhere with a fireplace, a nice huge tub and a view, and that's exactly what we got. No noise, no neighbors or traffice bothering you (the staff was almost unseen) but very welcoming, really comfortable room - loved the blankets and the bed) and will definitely be coming back here. Just left yesterday and have already told many friends :)

Reviewed 11 January 2010

We really enjoyed our stay.The view is amazing , bed extremely comfortable, beautiful bathrrom, and each room has its own little backyard to sit and relax. There is a trail to the mavericks(big surfer waves) right down the road. Our host was very helpful(I forgot his name). He had great referrals for restaurants and there is an assortment of complementary snacks in your room when you arrive.

Reviewed 5 January 2010

I was pleasantly suprised by this quaint Inn. I have been visiting the Half Moon Bay area for many years, and decided that this year I would set my sites on room accomidations near or on the water. The choices in Half Moon Bay are limited but for the price of this spectacular little Inn, it is worth the minor upgrade from the mainstream chain hotels. Gorgeous spacious rooms all with a view!!! It was incredibly enjoyable to fall asleep to the soft coo of the fog horn. I would suggest this Inn to any couple looking for a quaint getaway for the evening!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple