My husband, two daughters and I just returned from our fourth annual NYE stay at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay. Overall it was a very pleasant stay, and we most likely will return again next year as it's a fun way to spend the evening celebrating. For the most part, everything went smoothly. The car drop-off was quick, check-in was pleasant despite a bit of a wait (they offer champagne for adults and hot apple cider for kids while you wait), and our luggage arrived at our room fairly quickly. We had Room 220, one of the "Coastal View" rooms with two beds, which was very nice although the beds were a bit narrow to accommodate two people.
The highlight for the evening was enjoying a leisurely dinner in the lounge area where they set up the NYE band and dance area. We enjoyed a variety of shared plates which while fine, weren't exactly what I would call "inspired." The calamari had to be sent back as it was room temperature and even once it was warmed up, it was somewhat average. The other dishes including the crostini with goat cheese and beets was also fine but nothing spectacular. However, the service was very friendly and attentive, which helped make up for the average food.
The evening is a great event for couples and families alike, and this is one of the main reasons we like coming here. Our young daughters get to partake in both the dining and dancing experience along with the adults and there's no sense that they are "in the way."
We had breakfast in the lounge area the next morning and there were a few more hiccups in that one of the place settings didn't have a fork, the toast was presented dry with no butter or jam, and they didn't provide ketchup for the kids' potatoes so we had to request all of these things.
The only real negatives were with respect to the room. Because of its location right underneath one of their restaurants, I was awoken at 2:30a.m. to what sounded like scraping chairs -- the crew must have been cleaning up from the NYE event. The sound continued non-stop for at least 45 minutes or until I dozed off again. I then heard it again at 3:30a.m. which was surprising. Finally heard it again at 7a.m. which, I assume, meant they were setting up for breakfast.
The other issue is that the ground floor rooms right below us have outdoor sitting areas with fireplaces -- very nice to look down on. However, the couple occupying that room used it to smoke cigars and cigarettes often, which meant I had to close our sliding door to prevent the fumes from wafting in, which was unfortunate.
So for the amount of money paid for the room, the noise above and the smoke drifting up were a disappointment - be aware of these potential issues if you request one of the Coastal Rooms (but they have wonderful views!).
Nonetheless, it was a pleasant stay all-in-all and a fun way to ring in 2014.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, an elite golf and spa resort hotel. With two distinct guest room experiences from the guest houses to our main building, the hotel highlights the beauty of the Northern California coast with a modern and elegant decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, TravelUp, Marriott, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay Hotel Half Moon Bay
- Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay
- Ritz Half Moon Bay
- Half Moon Bay Ritz Carlton