“Beautiful views”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Sacramento, CA
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed one night on December 30. Hotel was beautifully decorated. Room had very nice views and small balcony with two chairs and a table. However,
the ground floor rooms right below us have outdoor sitting areas with fireplaces -- very nice to look down on. However, the couple occupying that room used it to smoke cigars and cigarettes often, which meant I had to close our sliding door to prevent the fumes from wafting in, which was unfortunate. Hotel is supposedly is non-smoking?
Also, we had a pretty bad service in Ocean Terrace, will not go into the details. Manager was very nice and considerate and offer to buy us dessert that night. Dessert was awesome!!! David took care of bill for our dessert and coffee.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aruba2004
Stephanie L, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Aruba2004,

We'd like to thank you for taking a moment to share your review of your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. The holiday season is always a special time to be with us and it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your little getaway. That said, I am disappointed to hear that your room was not the retreat you were hoping for; you are correct that the property is non-smoking. We encourage guests to contact the front desk with any issues that arise with their room and we make every effort to remedy any disturbance. Your complete satisfaction is our highest priority.

It sounds like David addressed the problem on the Ocean Terrace, however I'd like to apologize again for any lapses in service. Our dining venues are meant to create a first-class experience, and anything less is unacceptable.

There is so much to be enjoyed in Half Moon Bay and we hope to be able to welcome you back again for a memorable experience.

The Ladies & Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel. I was there a few years ago, and to this day, I still think of it. Its location, right on the cliff by the ocean. It was so beautiful. Inside the hotel, everything was tastefully decorated. My favorite part of the hotel was outside though, in the back of the hotel, facing the ocean. There is a jacuzzi and fire pits. At night, I could see the stars shine brightly and I sat there by the fire, in my white robe. I felt so happy. It was a true vacation. I also got a massage while I was there and the spa was wonderful. The hotel staff was courteous and friendly. I'd love to go back soon.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank D R
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Hotel staff is tops, from the valets to concierge to waiters. Best I've seen in my travels. The young men working as valets deserve special credit. We had a room with a firepit, a gorgeous view, beautiful bathroom - all we could ask for. The walks around the property were fun too. The food in the conservatory was great, and the breakfast in Navio was wonderful. New Year's eve was quiet and perfect for us - just what we wanted. Pricey for sure, but you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Rooms with the firepit are wonderful. Free "smores" kit!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
West Coast
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Have stayed here several times, all for business conferences, and have always enjoyed my stay. Rooms are large and comfortable; those with fire pits outside are extremely inviting, especially when Half Moon Bay is at its coolest, foggy best. Both golf courses are solid and the Ocean Course's finishing holes along the coast have great views of the Pacific. All in all, a solid offering.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear JBGlobal2,

Thank you for sharing a review of your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. It is always a pleasure to hear from our loyal, return guests. It sounds like you've found plenty to love around our resort from the luxurious guest rooms to stunning ocean views; this really is our little slice of paradise. We always recommend that golfers schedule a tee time (or two!) on one of our championship courses. It is some of the best golf in the Bay Area.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back for another getaway, for business or leisure. We invite you to contact us if there's any way we can be of service.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hotel staff here must be some of the nicest, friendliest I've ever dealt with. And my room was lovely; the bathroom in particular was massive. Bed comfort was average. Views were terrific (I stayed in a Club Room with an ocean view). BUT . . . It was not at all peaceful. My room was directly over one with a fire pit, so I had to deal with voices late into the evenings--you'd think the hotel would spring for windows that would keep out the noise. And I could hear the guy in the room next to mine as he talked on his phone to his wife and kids. Even though the hotel room had a "nature sounds" function on the alarm clock, I was unable to completely drown out the noises. And since I had come here to focus on meeting a writing deadline, and since I am also a light sleeper, I was not 100% happy.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mplanglinais
Stephanie L, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear mplanglinais,

On behalf of the entire staff here at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, I would like to thank you for your review. Honest feedback is a great help as we look for ways to improve our processes, facilities, and service.

It sound like you found a lot to love while here at the resort, like the friendly staff and ocean views, but we're disappointed to hear that you didn't find the peace and quiet that you were seeking. Half Moon Bay is a wonderful place to escape and our unique location right above the Pacific Ocean makes for an intimate, secluded setting unlike any other. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbances. We encourage all guests to contact us as soon as a potential issue arises so that we can find more adequate accommodations as quickly as possible. Your comfort is paramount to us, and we won't rest until you've settled into the perfect room.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do at this time. We truly hope to see you again someday so that we can show you how wonderful a few nights in Half Moon Bay can be.

The Executive Office
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband, two daughters and I just returned from our fourth annual NYE stay at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay. Overall it was a very pleasant stay, and we most likely will return again next year as it's a fun way to spend the evening celebrating. For the most part, everything went smoothly. The car drop-off was quick, check-in was pleasant despite a bit of a wait (they offer champagne for adults and hot apple cider for kids while you wait), and our luggage arrived at our room fairly quickly. We had Room 220, one of the "Coastal View" rooms with two beds, which was very nice although the beds were a bit narrow to accommodate two people.

The highlight for the evening was enjoying a leisurely dinner in the lounge area where they set up the NYE band and dance area. We enjoyed a variety of shared plates which while fine, weren't exactly what I would call "inspired." The calamari had to be sent back as it was room temperature and even once it was warmed up, it was somewhat average. The other dishes including the crostini with goat cheese and beets was also fine but nothing spectacular. However, the service was very friendly and attentive, which helped make up for the average food.

The evening is a great event for couples and families alike, and this is one of the main reasons we like coming here. Our young daughters get to partake in both the dining and dancing experience along with the adults and there's no sense that they are "in the way."

We had breakfast in the lounge area the next morning and there were a few more hiccups in that one of the place settings didn't have a fork, the toast was presented dry with no butter or jam, and they didn't provide ketchup for the kids' potatoes so we had to request all of these things.

The only real negatives were with respect to the room. Because of its location right underneath one of their restaurants, I was awoken at 2:30a.m. to what sounded like scraping chairs -- the crew must have been cleaning up from the NYE event. The sound continued non-stop for at least 45 minutes or until I dozed off again. I then heard it again at 3:30a.m. which was surprising. Finally heard it again at 7a.m. which, I assume, meant they were setting up for breakfast.

The other issue is that the ground floor rooms right below us have outdoor sitting areas with fireplaces -- very nice to look down on. However, the couple occupying that room used it to smoke cigars and cigarettes often, which meant I had to close our sliding door to prevent the fumes from wafting in, which was unfortunate.

So for the amount of money paid for the room, the noise above and the smoke drifting up were a disappointment - be aware of these potential issues if you request one of the Coastal Rooms (but they have wonderful views!).

Nonetheless, it was a pleasant stay all-in-all and a fun way to ring in 2014.

Room Tip: Make sure you find out whether your room is underneath one of the restaurants, as you'll hear th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear 61Kristin,

What a wonderful way to celebrate the New Year with your family. We can't thank you enough for choosing to spend such a special occasion here at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, for the consecutive fourth year. We always try to put on a compelling and inclusive evening of dining and entertainment, and it sounds like everyone found something to love.

I would like to personally apologize for both the overall quality of your dining experiences and for the issues encountered in your room. In all of our dining outlets, our chefs strive to provide fresh, innovative options year-round. As you noted, great service is a hallmark of The Ritz-Carlton experience, and I'm happy to hear that our exceptional staff was able to, in some part, make the meals more enjoyable. As frequent guests you're familiar with the level of quality that we're capable of, and your next visit is sure to be more in line with those standards.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon, whether on New Year's Eve or prior. Until then, we wish you health and happiness in 2014.

Burlingame, California
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at many fine hotels this property is nice but not enough for the cash -

Rooms (carpets, furnishings) are showing there age...

Parking at $45 a night and $15 resort fee add to the insult - nice but not nice enough...

Dining experience was "ok" but weekend brunch was very festive (should be for $100 per person)

Note: there are not any other 4 star plus options South of San Francisco along highway 1

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BriefBoy
Dear BriefBoy,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. We're so glad that you chose our resort, we're sorry to hear that you didn't feel as though you received adequate value. Our guests' satisfaction is our number one priority, and we would love to learn more about your experience so that we can make the necessary adjustments. Please let me know what is the best way for me to contact you and begin the process of making things right. We know that there's an exceptional experience to be had, and would love another opportunity to show you what makes our resort so special.

The Executive Office
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#8 of 229 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!