“Great time at Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
“Great time at Ritz”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My family recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay and myself and family had a wonderful time. The service was excellent along with the food and accommodation. Both myself, wife and 2 children did many fun activities around the resort and in the resort. Silvia and Andrea at the club level really went above and beyond to make our stay very memorable. Thanks for the great time!!!

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Feeling the cool breezes on the bluffs above the Pacific, you might forget you are only an hour east of the San Francisco airport. The hotel is in a magnificent location and is a great place for a two day getaway with your significant other. The Ocean course next door is fantastic for golfers and there is a nice beach below the bluffs for couples looking for a romantic stroll.
The hotel is a little stuffy and formal, bringing its Ritz pedigree to play. But the restaurant is great and the rooms are what yo would expect. If you do not spring for the extra money to get ocean views yo can easily be disappointed with your views. "Partial ocean" views offer very minimal ocean views so beware of the room descriptions.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Lane B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. As you mentioned, though we are conveniently located close to San Francisco, our oceanfront address on the bluffs feels worlds away. We do offer a wide variety of guest rooms and suites, including those with ocean views, golf course views, and private terraces with fire pits. We would be happy to arrange your ideal accommodations prior to your next relaxing getaway. Thanks again, and please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything we can do to be of service.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here in June 2014 for a business conference. The resort is secluded and quiet. It feels and looks like a castle in Ireland or something like that. We had a room overlooking the ocean on the southern part of the resort. The view was amazing. Every meal, drink, and experience here was fantastic. My fiancée actually proposed to me while we were there and the staff was beyond accommodating and gracious. They all made sure that our stay there was great. The only thing I can think of that needs a little work is the recreation facility where the pool is. Hopefully they invest a little into that.

Room Tip: anything on the Oceanside!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ellianalovestravel,

It was our pleasure to assist in making your stay special and memorable. Though you were celebrating a truly unique occasion, you can expect the same level of service and quality with each future stay. Until next time, we would like to offer warm wishes with wedding planning and making your new life together. Your feedback has been noted, and we look forward to taking your “top-notch” experience to new heights.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is magnificent! The views are breathtaking! The golf course is beautiful! The food is exquisite! Service is as you can expect from a Ritz Carlton. The rooms are outdated but very elegant. We had a fire pit in our terrace! It was great to enjoy a glass of wine "al fresco". The only thing that didn't met my expectations was the spa. I am used to pay a big up charge when I visit the spa at any Ritz Carlton but here, I regretted spending my money. The spa facilities are average and honestly, you could get a better massage anywhere else. Now, I saved the best for last. The views are worth every penny you pay for your stay. They are amazing!

Room Tip: If available, get a room with a fire pit and ocean view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was our third stay at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay, and it was absolutely perfect! Before our arrival, I contacted Ally in guest relations, who helped me plan a lovely rose petal turndown and amenities to be put in our room when we checked in as a surprise for my husband. Everything was perfect when we stepped into our gorgeous room , and my husband was especially happy with the chocolate tower amenity I ordered. We were lucky enough to score a room with a balcony and the most spectacular view of the ocean. The fireplace in our room was also a treat. Thank you, Ally!

We booked our three night stay on the Club Level, and it was fabulous! The five daily food and beverage presentations were delightful, and the hosts in the lounge were so warm and welcoming. I truly think that it is worth the extra expense to stay on the Club Level, and we do not even drink alcohol or eat meat! The cappuccino machine was great, and I especially enjoyed the delicious desserts each evening. Breakfast was also phenomenal! All day long, a variety of vegetarian options were offered. Staying on the Club Level was definitely a treat!

The staff at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay went above and beyond. Each person seemed genuinely happy to work at this magical resort. The people working at the spa were extremely pleasant too. The spa is so peaceful and relaxing.

We loved spending afternoons and evenings snuggled up under blankets on the cozy couches in the courtyard, sipping hot chocolate, gazing at the ocean and listening to the bagpiper play until sundown. It really was like something out of a fairytale! It's definitely the perfect place for romance. My husband and I both agreed that we need to come back to the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay again soon. It had been seven years since our last visit, which was way too long! I highly recommend visiting this dreamy coastal heaven on earth!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grlgrdgate
Dear grlgrdgate,

Thank you for taking the time to share such thoughtful feedback about your recent three-night stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. It was our pleasure to welcome you and your husband to our resort, and we are delighted to know your welcome amenities were so well received. Chocolate is always a great way to begin a stay! We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Ally and the rest of the staff.

We hope to welcome you back soon for another magical fairy-tale stay. If there is anything we can do to make your next escape just as special as the last, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Greenbrae, California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

In the bathroom , the marble floor in the shower did NOT have a mat to avoid slipping when taking a shower. Nothing either in the bath tub. The configuration of the bathroom door going to the toilet was not well thought since the mat under the sink was pushed out every time the door was open.

I think that once these little annoying problem will be resolved, the hotel is going to be perfect.

My husband and I were invited by the Park West Gallery. The food was excellent from the Breakfast to the dinner. We are still commanding this hotel for its first class hospitality, the courtesy of the personnel and the marvellous view.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The ladies and gentlemen here really know how to take care of you. This is a smaller Ritz-Carlton property that is very comfortable and perfectly maintained. The grounds are beautiful as are the views of course. We were in room 447 from May 11-14, 2014.

My daughter called ahead and arranged a surprise for us and reception was very good at keeping a secret. We went into our room and our eyes opened wide. Our room was done up for Mother's Day as a treat from my daughter. What a way to start a vacation. The pictures included say it all. Well almost. My daughter was asked what kind of music I like and all she could think of was Elton John. Very funny since I had been watching a "live" concert by him on the flight here. Playing softly in the room was Elton John. There was also a fireplace channel on the TV for a pleasant effect. Outside our sliding back door was a beautiful private fire-pit, a feature we used every single night of our 3 nights here. On the bed were old family pictures of the kids. It was all very impressive. We appreciated all the efforts everyone here put into this beautiful welcome, the beginning of our vacation.

The fitness center isn't huge but certainly large enough for the property. It's very well equipped with every thing you need from weights, both free weights and machines, to varied cardio equipment, to water, earbuds and towels of course.

I enjoyed running in the morning on the 3 mile round trip coastal path from beginning to end going both directions from the hotel. What a way to start the day. I returned to fresh coffee in the room. On Sunday and Tuesday nights we sat outside enjoying conversation with other guests while listening to the bagpiper play. There was plenty of seating for all and the service was excellent by the server. We walked down the path to the stairs leading to the beach which only had a few people on it. We saw a whale from shore one evening.

Since this isn't a resort property, they don't have a swimming pool on site. As guests of the Ritz-Carlton we had use of the pool belonging to the Ocean Colony Club just a short walk along the path. It's not fancy but it's very well kept and large enough to have lane ropes for swimming laps on one side of the pool. A few people came and went while we were there. From the outside it looks like a green house.

We shopped a couple of times in the signature shop. Carol is the lady who worked there. She was especially pleasant and helpful.

The wifi worked perfectly, quickly, and with no problem the entire time. Our bed was great and very comfy. I wish we could have stayed longer at this wonderful and well run property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ritz-CarltonHMB, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear mommabean,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a thoughtful, kind review of your recent stay at our resort. It was our pleasure to assist your daughter in pulling off a special Mother’s Day surprise, and we couldn't be happier to learn of its success. From relaxing by firelight, to exploring the bluffs on a run, to spotting a whale offshore, it sounds like you enjoyed a little bit of everything that makes our resort special. We hope to see you again soon.

The Ladies & Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#7 of 229 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!