“Club Level is worth it all”

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I love the pampering and attention that they provide. It makes for truly wonderful visit.
The rooms are not very fancy, but pretty, very clean, and the bed is comfortable.

This time we stayed on the Club level, with access to the Club lounge. Fantastic! The food offerings were good (don't miss the sticky buns in the morning). It was a wonderful way to have light snacks and beverages, so you can enjoy your time at the resort.

Their care and attention was great, except for one server that kept bumping the back of my chair (my pet peeve). The lounge would get a bit crowded at times, but we quickly learned out to avoid the pretentious patrons who need to be overly loud and proud to be there.

If you want to spoil yourself, this is the way to go.

Room Tip: Some of the lower level rooms have their own firepit, but it is quite exposed to others walking by...
1  Thank ItsMona
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear ItsMona,

We would like to thank you for taking a moment to share your review of your recent stay in Half Moon Bay. Upgrading to Club Level is certainly a wonderful way to get a little extra luxury out of your visit. It sounds like you were able to enjoy so much of what makes our lounge area so indulgent—the sticky buns are certainly a must-try! There’s nothing like a pampering vacation to help you feel truly at ease. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon for a return getaway.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I preface my review by saying that my wife and I have had the good fortune to enjoy some wonderful properties both in this country and abroad. We know we are spoiled, and that our expectations are probably a bit high in most cases.

Regarding the Ritz, there is not much to say. It is a beautiful resort, flawless managed, and the view and cuisine are both superb. Is it expensive. Very much so. But it is worth every dime. I could review every category of the hotel, but why? It is simply a marvelous resort on every level. The best of the best.

My only advice would be this: get thee to the Ritz in Half Moon Bay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leytap
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just spent 3 nights at this seaside resort. Love every moment.

The Property: sits high on the bluff overlooking an angry sea. Awoke to mist and fog in the early hours burning off to a nice sunny afternoon and spectacular sunset. Great service from valet and front desk. Housekeeping very accommodating - even after we pushed our 2 queen beds together and moved the night stand to one side (probably not the first time that's ever happened LOL).

The room: double on 2nd floor with partial ocean view and view of practice green. Furniture a little dated for a 14 year old property but everything else great. Very nice bath amenities, towels, and shower pressure. Shower head unusually short though.

The Spa and Gym: Spa services were awesome BUT VERY EXPENSIVE. Gym was great and complimentary - good equipment and amenities.

Lobby Bar/Bartender Pet Peeve: When will F & B managers wake up and train bartenders and wait staff to NOT touch the business end of my straw with their dirty hands? . I observed the bartender handle cash, take down dirty glassware and then proceed to make my bloody Mary by touching the celery stalk, lime and straw with his unwashed hands. Really? Needless to say I removed all three items from the drink and requested a clean straw.

2  Thank 60isthenew40

Dear 50isthenew40,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay. It was our pleasure to host you for a seaside getaway. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many beautiful days in Half Moon Bay. Our quiet spaces are made for rest and relaxation.

However, I would like to apologize for the conduct of your bartender. Cleanliness is our highest priority at all of our venues, and any lapses are absolutely unacceptable. We will be addressing this with our staff.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for a return visit. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to be of service.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Second time to the Ritz at Half Moon Bay. Rooms and views are spectacular. Staff was very attentive and polite. From the wait staff, concierge, to the spa everyone was excellent. Very relaxing location with great views. Walk, job or ride the coastal bike trail south. It will take you to shops and local restaurants which are also great.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I decided to celebrate anniversary of my business in this spectacular location.
Most of the thing had been great including venue and food
Presentation and assistance .
Small detail need to be kept in mind this hotel require 100% prepayment but they serve wines and other beverages without giving you a bill.
Sure enough they charge my small party of 14 for 28 bottles of wine and 14 beverages.
I was amazed and discussed this overcharge - without any reasonable explanations they knocked it down to 6 bottles !!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Arkady M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

It's been a while since I have written a review even though I have traveled quite a bit, but this place was so spectacular that I had to log in and write this. Stayed for two nights two weeks ago and everything really was superb, but the strength of this hotel is in the location. I could never tire of that view, and if you love to golf like I do, then this is a great place to visit. I was fortunate enough to have a fire pit room and I could literally sit out there and read a book all day long and be quite content. That being said, I would say that if you don't golf or you need a lot of onsite activity, then this may not be the place for you.

The front desk staff was superb except for one individual who did not seem to fit in with the rest and whose response to every request was "no". If there was one point of weakness, I would say it was with housekeeping. One day my room did not get serviced untl almost 6pm and that was only after I had to call housekeeping. Also, it took a very long time on the first day from when the room was finished to when it was "inspected". This held up my getting into the room, any maybe could be something that they work on.

Otherwise, I thought the resort was superb. I did not play tennis there, but the tennis courts looked fantastic. I took a lesson with the onsite golf pro Anthony, who I also thought was exceptional and I would highly recommend. The spa itself, while nothing to write about, does have some of the most skilled massage therapists I have ever encountered. I also visited the spa at Meadowood Resort on this trip - separate review - and there was no comparison with the Ritz.

All in all, if you are looking for a quick getaway from SFO, then this is the place. It is almost mystical when the fog rolls in over the cliffs and I can't think of many other places in the continental US that is quite like this.

Room Tip: Obviously you would want that pacific view :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear beachbug,

That you were compelled to write a review is truly inspiring and a testament to our efforts here at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. As you mentioned, our picturesque location is at the heart of the resort experience, and we strive to honor and accentuate its natural beauty with all that we do. Thank you for painting such a vivid image of the surroundings – “mystical” is a lovely descriptor – while also highlighting the other world-class amenities of the resort. Whether it is a day on the golf course you desire or an afternoon with a good book, we promise unforgettable moments throughout your stay. We would also like to thank you for raising your concerns with housekeeping. Every small improvement is vital to our greater mission, and we value your feedback very much. We look forward to your next visit and the opportunity to serve you once again!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We really love this hotel, but our recent stay was not as nice as it could have been. When I pay $1,300.00 a night for a room with an ocean view I expect to be able to enjoy that view without everyone and his brother peering in the windows as they walk by. We had to leave the curtains closed in two of the four windows in our room because the walkway was so close to the window. I also did not enjoy seeing the signs from the window over the desk directing people to the public restroom. The room was one floor above a party courtyard that had loud parties every night until somewhat late. It made the ambiance of the room less than stellar. The telephone kept ringing with no one there, sometimes four or five time within an hour. The solution offered by the hotel staff was to unplug that phone, effectively making it non-usable. Granted I had no reason to use the phone, but . . . I do expect to have access to things for which I am already paying. The staff, as always, was gracious and attentive. What food we ate there was very good. Loved the fireplace in the living room and the half bath off the foyer for our dinner guests.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the 4th floor are actually at ground level when you get to the back of the hotel. W...
2  Thank Maevilyn

Dear Patricia L.,

We greatly appreciate your continued support, and we thank you for raising these very valid concerns. Now better acquainted with your personal preferences, we are confident that your next visit will be your most enjoyable yet. The technical difficulties you alluded to have been resolved – our apologies once again for the inconvenience – and we would be happy to work with you beforehand to ensure that every aspect of your experience is uniquely suited to your needs. We look forward to crafting your ultimate Half Moon Bay getaway.

The Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Chinatown
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#7 of 230 in San Francisco

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!